dont know what phone to upgrade to

kvnm85

Reaction score
Ok so as of right now i have the droid x rooted running custom rom. I am now eligible for an upgrade but am clueless on what i want to go with or if i should even wait till december to see what comes out in the 4th quarter for the holidays. As of right now what is the best phone on the market that i will be able to root. In addition what phones are being talked about that arent out right now. I want reliability and freedom. All input is appreciated

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
All phones currently out have root, at least to my knowledge. What exactly are you looking for in a phone? Keyboard? Nice screen? ROMs?

You really can't go wrong with any of the current phones out.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
All phones currently out have root, at least to my knowledge. What exactly are you looking for in a phone? Keyboard? Nice screen? ROMs?

You really can't go wrong with any of the current phones out.

I'm with dezymond, any of the current phones are great devices. There's something to fit just about any need or want. However, there are probably going to be some awesome devices coming up shortly, the summer usually has some good releases, both in June, and august right before school starts again, then there's Christmas time... but to me this past year the Christmas releases weren't all that great... IMHO.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

Last edited:
OP
kvnm85

kvnm85

Reaction score
Looking to root and load custom rons and kernels would like a good camera, screen, speed, and battery and one that is reliable

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Looking to root and load custom rons and kernels would like a good camera, screen, speed, and battery and one that is reliable
I can only speak for the Nexus, but the development community for it is amazing. There are alot of quality ROMs available for it and it's arguably the most developer friendly phone out right now, as it's the only one since the OG Droid to have vanilla Android. The camera is more than enough for me, but in terms of quality, the Rezound takes it, however no shutter lag is important to me. Stock battery life isn't all too impressive, but once you get a good ROM and kernel on it, it'll last you all day.

B

bens42608

Bionic is now free. Best phone I've ever had. Definitely need the extended battery.it's awesome.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Reaction score
you have Verizon? from what iv read the razr maxx is the best thing going. if you have unlimited data you dont want to wait. if you do not renew your contract befor 6/7 you will not get unlimited when you renew. if also been told 6/25 for the cut off date for unlimited data.

HavoC

Reaction score
If you want custom kernels, don't go with any of the current Motorola phones. The locked bootloaders make it impossible to install/run custom kernels. Im personally waiting for the galaxy s III hoping it has an unlocked bootloader, if not im probably gonna get a galaxy nexus. I got my bionic off contract so I too have an upgrade I plan on using before unlimited data can no longer be kept on my plan.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Ok so as of right now i have the droid x rooted running custom rom. I am now eligible for an upgrade but am clueless on what i want to go with or if i should even wait till december to see what comes out in the 4th quarter for the holidays. As of right now what is the best phone on the market that i will be able to root. In addition what phones are being talked about that arent out right now. I want reliability and freedom. All input is appreciated

It depends on what features matter most to you. None of them are the best at everything. IMO the Rezound is still the best all around phone on Verizon. With an extended battery it goes 12 hours easy and I have gone 24 before. 720p display, SD expansion, removable battery, awesome 4G reception and GPS.

If you do not care about having a 720p display, then I would say the Incredible 4G is the best one. It is better than the Rezound in every way (except for the display) and also has NFC. It is only qHD though, and it is smaller.

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
This was brought up before but if you have unlimited data then you don't want to wait. The top three (Rezound, Maxx, and Nexus) are all good and all have their pros and cons. If you want to know what phone I like it's in my profile. But the Incredible 4g is another great phone but there isn't root for it yet but give it time.

Now if you don't have unlimited data and you're not in a hurry for a new phone I'd say wait a few months and see what comes out. If there isn't anything you like coming out then maybe the top phones that are out now will be cheaper in a few months.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
HTC has a very liberal policy on unlocking bootloaders. So it is pretty much a given than the Incredible will be rooted soon.

The Incredible is far and away the best phone on Verizon if you are not put off by the size and display. It has an S4 chip which is significantly better than anything else on Verizon.