Does the DX support Wireless N 5 GHz?

avanpelt

Reaction score
I'll be ordering the DX in several hours when it is launched on Verizon's website. I currently have the iPhone 4, but will be returning it. The iPhone 4 only supports wireless N in the 2.4 GHz range. I was wondering if anyone here knows if the DX supports wireless N in the 5 GHz range or if it is also limited to N in the 2.4 GHz spectrum only?

OP
A

avanpelt

Reaction score
Im assuming you dont have a dual band router?!

I've got a dual band router that's running two separate wireless networks -- a 2.4 GHz network for b and g devices and a 5 GHz network for the handful of n devices I have that can run on 5 GHz. I was just wondering if, by chance, the DX would be able to run on my 5 GHz network; but it looks like it'll be running on my 2.4 GHz network.

dwagner88

Reaction score

I've got a dual band router that's running two separate wireless networks -- a 2.4 GHz network for b and g devices and a 5 GHz network for the handful of n devices I have that can run on 5 GHz. I was just wondering if, by chance, the DX would be able to run on my 5 GHz network; but it looks like it'll be running on my 2.4 GHz network.

Are you certain that the 2.4 ghz network isn't at n speeds? I have a similar setup, and both networks will run at n band speeds with devices that support it. The 5 ghz network is meant to be slightly faster due to less interference at that slice of spectrum. It usually isn't noticeably faster because the 5 ghz signal doesn't travel through walls as well, so the speed increase is only realized when there are not any walls between you and your router. But you might have a better router than me.

wingdo

Reaction score

Are you certain that the 2.4 ghz network isn't at n speeds? I have a similar setup, and both networks will run at n band speeds with devices that support it. The 5 ghz network is meant to be slightly faster due to less interference at that slice of spectrum. It usually isn't noticeably faster because the 5 ghz signal doesn't travel through walls as well, so the speed increase is only realized when there are not any walls between you and your router. But you might have a better router than me.

I have the same setup as avanpelt. The problem with running N on the 2.4GHz band is that as soon as a G device connects up (say a wifi printer or such) the wireless speed drops to G speeds, basically making the N device a G device.