Does phonemypc just not work?

Reaction score
now i really can't wait to build my media center pc! droid remote!

is this using vnc or something similar? is it windows only or does it work on a mac too? I really haven't looked into it since I don't own a PC and the name implies PC only.

Presently only Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 are supported (some customers report that it works well on 2000, but we've not tested that).

We plan to add support for both Linux and Mac, but that will not occur until sometime early next year.

SoftwareForMe.com

cuesport

Reaction score
Phonemypc problems

I'm having a couple of different problems. I can connect to my laptop at home ok. The website says that the cursor is only available when using a trackball device. I have the Moto - Droid. I had the cursor once, but can't get it back. If I try to connect to my computer at work or try to connect to my laptop while at work, I get a message that says "Authentication Failed". Once, I was able to get into my office computer. I've tried turning off my firewall but still had the same problem. I use Belkin wireless routers at both locations. The Office computer is hardwired. I use McAfee anti-virus on all computers.
Very cool app if I can get it working.

Reaction score
I'm having a couple of different problems...

Eek!

Let's fix this, one issue at a time.

(1) Mouse
On Track-ball devices, you can use the trackball to move the cursor around. When you touch the screen to pan or zoom, the cursor goes away. We call this "Cursor Mode."

However, on all devices, you can "turn on" a cursor that you can move with your finger. Move it off screen and your view scrolls with it. Tap the screen or push a button (D-Pad or Track-Ball) to click where the cursor is. We call this "Full Cursor Mode," because the cursor doesn't go away until you tell it to.

Enter Full Cursor Mode by pressing the Search button (right-most button on your Droid). See here: SoftwareForMe.com - PhoneMyPC's Remote Control

(2) Your office computer
Here's a recently discovered bug...
* You have a PC behind a router with PhoneMyPC, using default settings (listening on port49300 for direct-connect)
* You run PhoneMyPC and connect to it

The connection starts (PC is found by our servers), but when you try to access it, it says "Authentication failed."

Here's why this usually happens:
* When you pick a PC to interact with, the phone tries to connect to the PC on the port specified in the Advanced tab (default: 49300)
* IF the phone makes a successful connection, it then tries to authenticate

Now, if the router is forwarding 49300 to the WRONG PC, of course it cannot authenticate.

Sometimes this happens when another program is using that port, and sometimes because there are many PC's with PhoneMyPC in the LAN.

The solution is simple: use the Advanced tab to find a different port for each PhoneMyPC installation. Also, be sure to port-forward the proper ports to the proper PC's, if necessary.

Please let us know if any of this helps! You can post here, or email us: [email protected].

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everything works fine except....

I've tried both the d-pad and setting the volume buttons to "mouse wheel' up/down and I can not scroll thru webpages. Looking for some help as I do not want to have to click on the arrow on the scroll bar to browse.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Argghhh!!! Killing me smalls... killing me.

Damn holidays and no site traffic :p

Reaction score

I've tried both the d-pad and setting the volume buttons to "mouse wheel' up/down and I can not scroll thru webpages. Looking for some help as I do not want to have to click on the arrow on the scroll bar to browse.

Think of how you use your mouse wheel on your PC. When does it work to scroll any window?

1) When that window is focused
2) [sometimes] When the cursor is over the window

Try doing that, and see if it works.

Post back here if not, or send email to [email protected]. I'll be waiting to hear back :)

[Edit]: Be SURE you downloaded and installed the latest PhoneMyPC PC Client from our website! It is required for the new features to work properly.

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC

Last edited:

MaverickVirus

Reaction score
Difference in products

I'm really glad that the dev is so supportive of customers, even on a completely different forum. I'm really glad about that! I am in a weird situation. I'm not sure whether to get PhoneMyPC or Remote Desktop Client (Xtralogic). I want to use it on my home (Windows 7) and my work PCs (XP, 7, server 2008). Could anyone tell me the difference in usability, etc. Basically what would everyone reccommend? I really just want an RDP client and sound is a plus.

Reaction score
I'm really glad that the dev is so supportive of customers, even on a completely different forum. I'm really glad about that! I am in a weird situation. I'm not sure whether to get PhoneMyPC or Remote Desktop Client (Xtralogic). I want to use it on my home (Windows 7) and my work PCs (XP, 7, server 2008). Could anyone tell me the difference in usability, etc. Basically what would everyone reccommend? I really just want an RDP client and sound is a plus.

Here are some points of contrast. These are based upon my technical understanding of both apps, however I have not used Xtralogic's app. These are just facts, and their evaluation is subjective (up to you).

Connectivity
* RDP will require that you open holes in your firewall and forward ports.
* RDP will require that you know your PC's IP address, and change it when/if your DHCP lease changes.
* PhoneMyPC will perform best if you can configure your network, but it is not required for the app to work.
* PhoneMyPC is a hosted solution, so you don't need to know your IP--it just works.

Performance
* RDP uses a vector-based graphics protocol that often requires less bandwidth, but more CPU on the phone. You are likely to get better performance when network bandwidth is low.
* PhoneMyPC uses bitmap-based graphics data that can consume more bandwidth, but is very light-weight on the phone in terms of CPU workload.

Quality
* Most RDP clients remove things like desktop wallpaper because they do not handle bitmap data well.
* PhoneMyPC shows you your desktop as it is, with no changes or compromises.

Features
* RDP supports remote login.
* PhoneMyPC does not, but will in the next few weeks.
* RDP supports sound.
* PhoneMyPC does not, but will very soon.
* PhoneMyPC has many features that RDP does not, such as:
- Passive live viewing
- Snapshot on the phone
- Direct Process and Window management (handy for uber geeks, particularly when fighting viruses)
- Control-pad: ideal for using the phone as a simpler remote while giving presentations, changing channels on your Media PC, etc.
- Action list: easy way to perform common, pre-programmed actions on the PC.

Those are the facts.

As for opinions, I'd say that RDP is Microsoft's long-standing, mature remote-access technology; it's reliable and simple, and a great choice for geeks.

PhoneMyPC is a new approach, more fully featured (though temporarily missing a couple important ones) but also less mature and constantly evolving (improving).

My best suggestion would be to download both and give them a try. You can return either or both within 24 hours through the market.

Good luck!

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC

MaverickVirus

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice, you have been wonderful. Other developers should aspire to meet your level of customer service and satisfaction.

wbbgjr

Reaction score

Click on an empty spot in the webpage and then push the up and down on the dpad.

wbbgjr

Reaction score
I'm concerned about the security of this program.

It works great, but we have to trust that it's secure from outside hackers.

What kinds of safeguards are built into the software?

coolkidd

Reaction score
Bought it and after 5min.... i am impressed! And to think this is still in beta... hmmm just came into my attention that im browsing thru my computer at home using my droid... lol

Reaction score
I'm concerned about the security of this program.

It works great, but we have to trust that it's secure from outside hackers.

What kinds of safeguards are built into the software?

You raise a very good point. Security is a very important issue for us.

PhoneMyPC normally uses SSL over port 443 to secure your traffic; this encryption is temporarily disabled but will be back very soon.

Our software does it's best job to form a connection directly from your phone to your PC. Failing that, our servers form a hub through which your data passes.

The software on our servers has been designed to minimize the in-computer path of that data. It is picked up from the network card when coming from one of your devices, and dropped right back onto the network card headed for your other device. We do not inspect, cache or store any of the data.

At the same time that we release the much-anticipated remote login feature, we will be re-instating SSL for all communication.

What's more, we have been playing with an "end-to-end" SSL solution whereby your phone is the SSL client and your PC is the server, and our servers only ferry encrypted data that they cannot possibly decrypt. This will provide the best level of security possible.

We will publish a Security White Paper on our website in the near future describing the strengths and weaknesses of our software.

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thru E-mail contacts with softwareforme.com I was told my 'scrolling' problem is addressed in ver. 1.0.14 but their website only has 1.0.12 as the downloaded file! Where can i get the updated version for my pc? The not scrolling is a deal breaker for me.

edit: my internet cache wasn't recognizing there was a new download. Cleared my cache and resolved the problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thru E-mail contacts with softwareforme.com I was told my 'scrolling' problem is addressed in ver. 1.0.14 but their website only has 1.0.12 as the downloaded file! Where can i get the updated version for my pc? The not scrolling is a deal breaker for me.

edit: my internet cache wasn't recognizing there was a new download. Cleared my cache and resolved the problem.

Thanks for the edit. When you emailed us, we tried the download from our website on four different PC's, using three different OSes, in two different countries, before also concluding that the issue was a cache.

Now, what can we do to force the browser caches to update so this doesn't happen again? We'll find out, for sure!

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC