Does phonemypc just not work?

Reaction score
coondog is right. I don't think we were "months" late, but it was like a month. As I've said, we're a group of software engineers, and we're way too optimistic about how quickly we can do things.

To some degree, if we were governed by a planning or marketing team things would go faster, because we wouldn't get excited and "just do it" when people request features that just make sense, we'd have support staff to handle emails, and some "product image management" person to handle forums and user groups, leaving us engineers to do nothing more than code.

And about LogMeIn, they have a much simpler job; theirs is essentially a port, and the PC logic has been done for years. Ours is entirely new development.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure we'll have the next update out before they release Ignition, and our product will be better. Of course they have more years, a larger team and lots of money, but:
* We will have features "in the box" that they make you pay monthly for
* We have more overall features (and some cool ones to come)
* We only really care about what our customers want, and not the bottom line
* Try requesting a new feature in Ignition and see how long it takes to see it
* Try contacting a LogMeIn engineer to help troubleshoot a problem

At any rate, I'll give you a quick assessment of where we're at in this build:

* SSL -- DONE
* Login Support for XP -- DONE
* Login Support for Vista -- 90% done (only installation issues remain)
* Login Support for Win7 -- 90% done (only installation issues remain)
* Auto-Update for PC -- 90% done (one remaining issue installing updates)
* Other -- 90% done (bug fixes, minor feature additions)

dcw9m

Reaction score
I just installed this app. It blew me away the first time I used it. It is by far the most amazing app I have downloaded by far. :)

ripstar

Reaction score
Mabye I missed this but can I "wake" up my computer while it is "sleeping" using this?

No, you cant unlock a booted up locked computer. Much less wake a machine up.

So this app is useless to me. I have used a few times but have to have someone go to my office and wake my computer up. Not worth all the hassle. Im not going to leave my computer screen on all day to use this a couple times a day.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Mabye I missed this but can I "wake" up my computer while it is "sleeping" using this?

So this app is useless to me. I have used a few times but have to have someone go to my office and wake my computer up. Not worth all the hassle. Im not going to leave my computer screen on all day to use this a couple times a day.

First, Haha you can just turn your monitor off and dont have it sleep... thats what I do.

Secondly, can the main man here PLEASE change the name of this thread, its so nasty, mosltly when the app does infact work, and work well.

Third, SoftwareForMe, I cant wait for the SSL new updates. Yey. Sound please too, and video quality.... ok keep it up.

coondogg97

Reaction score

I unfortunately feel the same way. This app has great potential, but with the basic functionality it is useless to me as well. This thread was started four months ago and in that time there has been ONE update. If it is taking this long to release an update to use this app on a locked machine, I can't imagine how long it will take to release an update for audio and video (if ever).

And with all due respect to the developer, statements like:

There are no business savvy people, no marketers, no support staff
and

Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure we'll have the next update out before they release Ignition, and our product will be better. Of course they have more years, a larger team and lots of money, but:
Doesn't make me feel any better. Stating that your competition has more years, money and a larger support team doesn't build confidence at all. Also being that the product isn't out yet I don't know how you can claim that your software will be better.

solar

Reaction score
I think they are off to a very good start. I've been using this for a while now. I do agree that it has limited use for me at the moment without being able to remotely unlock the PC. But the remote connection is very smooth, the options are plentiful and the software is easy to setup. I'm going to stick around and wait for the update for sure.

and I agree that the thread name should be changed to something more true.

MotorolaDroid

Reaction score
It does work great for what it does. Right now its like buying a toyota and hoping to make it a ferrari. Out could be a long shot to get volume and the lock screen issue solved but we can all hope. Right now im content with how it works

rcjames

Reaction score
With this software am i able to access to my linux computer? I'm ordering droid phone tomarrow.

Reaction score
We very much want to add Linux support--and will do so--but it will be a while. We have a fairly long list of "TO DO" items on the Android and Windows side before we move on.

We may just hire someone to do this to get it done sooner, but we haven't decided yet. We are the best coders we know, after all :)

@MotorolaDroid: hey, sound isn't out yet but coming, but the lock screen stuff is all fixed. Can we get a bump to somewhere between the Toyota and Ferrari?

:)

rcjames

Reaction score
Well hope you guys get to work so we geeks can remote access to linux server or desktop. It's the ultimate must thing to do is get it compatible with linux especially that android it self uses linux kernel. But take you guys time so when its out, its polished :).

Psychokitty

Reaction score
Well hope you guys get to work so we geeks can remote access to linux server or desktop. It's the ultimate must thing to do is get it compatible with linux especially that android it self uses linux kernel. But take you guys time so when its out, its polished :).
Yes, very much awaiting the Linux compatibility!

Hero_Sky

Reaction score
Phonemypc just stopped working for me.
I get the "has stopped unexpectedly" error on the phone and
on the computer it simply says "cannot connect."

What should I do?

FaTaL_eRR

Reaction score
Hi,

I can't get a connection with my PC at work. Are there other ports that I can use?
I don't have acces to the firewall...

Reaction score
Sorry folks, for not being more timely. We've been "heads down" getting an update out.

On May 3 we released an auto-update for the PCs. If it has not downloaded for you, you can uninstall and do it manually; it will only auto-update if the currently installed version is 2.0.2.2. The new version is 2.0.2.4.

This release is by far the most stable and reliable to date. The PC app has a health monitor built in and we have not yet found a situation where the thing loses connectivity.

Today, we released the Android update, 2.0.2.8, and it too is vastly better than before, including the first addition of audio, toolbars and much, much more.

As for using other ports, the port isn't going to matter if you do not have access to the firewall. PhoneMyPC connects "out" to our servers using port 443, and it should work for all but the most secure networks. I have personally only ever seen one corporate network that blocked all outgoing traffic.

Get the new PC client here:
Quick Start « SoftwareForMe.com

Check out the update list for the new build here:
Beta News « SoftwareForMe.com