Does phonemypc just not work?

mjk812

Reaction score
Is the applications servers down right now? I keep getting "the application PhoneMyPC (process com.softwareforme.PhoneMyPC) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. And I have to Force Close it. Is this a problem on my end??

Ditto, same force close issue all of a sudden.

Uninstall and reinstall worked for me!

Reaction score
Great catch folks.

We checked and there was another denial-of-service attack occurring.

The result of these (so far there have been 3) is a reduction in service quality, but the service remains available. We know the app does not behave well when the network is heavily burdoned, and that is what caused the FC's. It would likely have worked if you tried a couple more times.

We have blocked the attack.

These attacks are strange. Someone, from one or just a small number of IPs, connects thousands of sockets per second and then sends gibberish. Our software drops the connections as soon as it detects the gibberish, but this still degrades performance.

We will be adding logic to automatically block the offending IP addresses when this happens.

mitchb2

Reaction score
I noticed that PhoneMyPC is eating my CPU alive. My computer got really sluggish so I opened Task Manager. PhoneMyPC was pegged. I shut it down and the CPU load dropped to 10%.

Reaction score
I noticed that PhoneMyPC is eating my CPU alive. My computer got really sluggish so I opened Task Manager. PhoneMyPC was pegged. I shut it down and the CPU load dropped to 10%.

This is a bug found in the current build that we will be addressing in the next release. Another symptom of the same is a "No Hosts" message on your phone even though it worked recently and you have changed nothing.

Fortunately, this is rare. Soon it will be extinct :)

Medicated

Reaction score
Why market PhoneMyPC with screencap of Hulu?

"We do not plan to make PhoneMyPC a general video solution, which would be optimized for the sort of imaging data inherent in video. Rather, PhoneMyPC is, and will continue to be, a PC Remote application." [...]It is very much requested."

Don't you think the information from this and other posts is relevant enough to be included in the android marketplace description? I mean, at least as long as you're marketing PhoneMyPC with a screencap of a computer using Hulu...

Even if you only meant to imply remote control functionality, I'm just not sure how can you expect customers to know that that you can only use PhoneMyPC as a remote control for Hulu -and not actually watch or listen to it (especially while other RDP solutions out there let you do exactly that). These facts don't appear anywhere in the marketplace, or anywhere on your website... Now I'm glad the refund was processed without a hitch, and after reading these forums I'm not as angry because I get the impression service is important to you, but I can't be the only one that thinks video streaming functionality (with audio) is implied by a screencap of Hulu. The software in and of itself is great, but that Hulu screencap is misleading, if not deliberately so.

Reaction score
@Medicated,

I think you mis-read that post or its context. Perhaps put back the part you replaced with the ellipsis ([...]):

However, once the PhoneMyPC team is done with this product (once it has no serious outstanding bugs and all critical features are complete), perhaps we will dedicate some resources to a good video solution. It is very much requested.

That post about video was in response to the question "Will it stream video from...," which we take to mean something more than "let me watch my computer screen, and be fast enough to watch video." The term streaming has a very specific meaning (to us).

As it turns out, with a good enough connection, many users are watching video using PhoneMyPC. Our tests, and the reports of our users are that it works better than the other remote control apps for that purpose. Our point is only that that isn't our focus at the moment.

Oh, and sound will come soon. It is #2 on our list, and the #1 item (remote login, better security) is getting very near to being completed.

All of that aside, we'll discuss our Market graphics and see if we agree that the picture of Hulu is misleading; that's surely not our intent.

Finally, we've had a few "lunch-time" discussions about video, since so many people seem to be using PhoneMyPC for it. We think we may have a solution that would give much higher frame rates [while watching video] and help with the audio/video syncing problem (that's tough, by the way). This will become a research project after Sound is deployed.

coondogg97

Reaction score
All of that aside, we'll discuss our Market graphics and see if we agree that the picture of Hulu is misleading; that's surely not our intent.

With all due respect, how could anyone on your marketing team think it wasn't misleading? All the different sites you could have shown, why use Hulu?

Reaction score
We don't have a marketing team. We are a small group of Engineers. There are no business savvy people, no marketers, no support staff (we handle all support emails). That graphic was chosen because the guy who picked it had just been watching Hulu for two hours on his phone using PhoneMyPC (it's a great memory-stress test to watch full-screen video, and we do that often before each release).

We have updated our app description with the bullet "No sound yet, but soon." Do you think that makes it clearer?

rich_r

Reaction score
Schedule Update?

Can you give us some idea of your schedule? I am getting a bit discouraged by your use of soon.

You have been saying you will come out with your Log-in support version "soon" since last December. I don't see much progress.

I like PhoneMyPC but at this rate LogMeIn will release their product before you have all of the necessary support to actually work for my needs (log-in and SSL).

ripstar

Reaction score
Mabye I missed this but can I "wake" up my computer while it is "sleeping" using this?

Cowpoke

Reaction score
Is there any way to click and drag using the touch screen?

He answered this same Q for me a couple pages back........ It works for me.

About Dragging
We really need to add a "click-lock" button. We will.
In the meant time, the DPAD center button works as a left mouse button, so try this:

1) Enter Full Cursor Mode (the default for this is the Search button--magnifying glass)
2) Use your finger to position the cursor over the thing to be dragged
3) Press and hold the DPAD-center button
4) Use your finger on the screen to move the mouse, dragging the thing
5) Release the DPAD-center button to raise the left mouse button

coondogg97

Reaction score
Can you give us some idea of your schedule? I am getting a bit discouraged by your use of soon.

Me too. I waited as long as I could, then ended up going with an RDP client instead.

-Mike

The last time a date was given for an update, the update rolled out months after the promised date. That's why you wont see any commitment on a date until the new version is ready to be rolled out.