Do You Like The New Droid X?

OP
M

mengh33

Reaction score
After reading many reviews it seems there are lots of ups and downs. I am currently still on the Apple 3gs and the reception is just horrible. I'd really like to try out Verizon and the droid x seems like it would be a pretty seamless move. I'm not a big fan of keyboards but I like the touch screen ones. I've noticed there are some software updates and the like that are improving the X.

Overall with me being a complete newb to the android, would it be a good time to jump ship or wait for improvements or another handset that will be much better? What do ya think?

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
After reading many reviews it seems there are lots of ups and downs. I am currently still on the Apple 3gs and the reception is just horrible. I'd really like to try out Verizon and the droid x seems like it would be a pretty seamless move. I'm not a big fan of keyboards but I like the touch screen ones. I've noticed there are some software updates and the like that are improving the X.

Overall with me being a complete newb to the android, would it be a good time to jump ship or wait for improvements or another handset that will be much better? What do ya think?

initially, i was disappointed that i wasn't eligible to upgrade to the X. but now, with the rumored Droid Pro (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/48717-motorola-droid-pro.html) and HTC Scorpion (The HTC Scorpion may pack 1.5Ghz processor, Android v2.2, and WiMax – if it exists), i'm not so disappointed with the fact that i have to wait to upgrade.

then again, with gingerbread 3.0 supposedly coming out near the end of the year, you can hardly go wrong with jumping to the X now (especially from iphone 3g)! IMO, tho, i would just lock in for a year. as fast as the new models are coming out, i'm kicking myself for signing a 2 year agreement!!

Philba

Reaction score
Just got the X, had the moto droid. Issue with exchange server email, can't get it to sync at all. Using touchdown now. I loved launcher pro on the droid, hate the preloaded widgets hogging up space. Was is such a rush getting the last one I didn't realize no hdmi, my bad....

Got a DX on the first day and my immediate impression is that Mot is clueless about how to organize a phone UI. I spent an hour+ deleting all those stupid widgets and downloading equivalent apps. installed android FB app and tossed the Motojunk. I've got it close to where I want it now but it needs more fussing.

On the whole, I'm happy with it.

chikibabe

Reaction score
Just got the X, had the moto droid. Issue with exchange server email, can't get it to sync at all. Using touchdown now. I loved launcher pro on the droid, hate the preloaded widgets hogging up space. Was is such a rush getting the last one I didn't realize no hdmi, my bad....

Got a DX on the first day and my immediate impression is that Mot is clueless about how to organize a phone UI. I spent an hour+ deleting all those stupid widgets and downloading equivalent apps. installed android FB app and tossed the Motojunk. I've got it close to where I want it now but it needs more fussing.

On the whole, I'm happy with it.

Where do you go to delete the pre-installed apps? those are not showing up in the "manage applications" section...

gixxerboy

Reaction score
Do you like your new droid x?

who dosent like there new droid x at all?? just wondering some people only buy at face value and then hours later hate it. just trying to get a short sloppy poll

chikibabe

Reaction score
From the looks of it, there have been 90 views and no responses so everyone must be in love :) i know i am!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Got a DX on the first day and my immediate impression is that Mot is clueless about how to organize a phone UI. .

They can't please everyone.....

Lordbutt

Reaction score
Root it and you can delete them. But can you delete them just using Titanium Backup? Or does it require superuser powers?

Schimm

Reaction score
This phone has really grown on me. At first I thought, meh, big screen. But the big screen has lots of utility. Surfing is finally bearable, reading tweets, rss, etc., so much more satisfying. The negativity that I've picked up on the reviews is somewhat misguided. You can complete bypass motoblur by using an alternative launcher. And I've confirmed via system monitor that they suck up no CPU cycles while not in use. As an iTouch and iPad owner I don't see what the Apple stuff has over Android/X. 'Polish' is so subjective and fluffy.

hsd31

Reaction score
X rocks !

I got my X a week after launch. Before deciding to go for an X, I played around with it quite a bit at the local verizon store. The store model had a slighlty laggy UI, just like what a few people are saying, but the X that I got did not seem to have that issue at all. I'm putting it down to the store X running many apps in the background / not having the OTA update. And with 2.2 due soon, I'm sure that things can only get better.

Hardware: Love the large screen with lots of real estate, espcially when browsing the internet. It has made my netbook almost redundant. Not quite satisified with the placement of the back button though. Makes it difficult to opreate the phone one handed some times (you have to hold it low to easily access the back button). I personally would have preferred the back button (or an extra one) next to the volume rockers on the right (that is just me). The phone is not as big as it is made out to be and is pretty comfortable to hold and make calls, etc. Though I will say that it is not for small hands.

Battery: Battery life is average. I am not a heavy user but I almost cannot not make it through a day with a single charge. But that is Android for you. Will be looking to an aftermarket upgrade to the battery or a spare one in the near future.

Motoblur: I don't know what the whole deal is about. It is pretty minimal and mostly non-intrusive (provided you don't go all gung-ho signing into all your social networks as soon as you unbox the X, a little thinking can help in this case). Most of the so called 'motojunk' are all home screen widgets that can be easily deleted. Heck, if you can read and can follow instructions, just root it and remove all of blur or just replace the whole interface with a different app launcher.

Social Networking: if you do not want the unified social networking experience that blur provides, just install the stand alone android apps for twitter/facebook/myspace and don't access them through blur's social networking hub. I'm not big into social networking, but I still love the whole integration thing that the X has. It does puke over all the contacts from your social networks, email over you phone contacts, but it is very easy to link multiple contacts together from different sources (phone, social, email) into a single unified contact.

Other Apps: Google integration is simply awesome. Everything, gmail, maps, google talk, google voice, calendar, picasa, voice search work as they should. Add that to the other add on google apps like gesture search, translate, places, text to speech, goggles, sky map and this is one complete package from google. Swype is a phenomenal, do not miss the physical keyboard at all.

I recently switched over to Verizon and researched / played around with all for the current breed of smartphones (iPhone4, evo, nexus one, incredible and the X) before going in for the X and Verizon and I'm totally satisfied with my decision and love the X. The previous poster rightly said, it grows on you.

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Going from an iPhone to a Droid, Droid X, Inredible, etc.. is the best move you could ever make.

I agree with him 100%. I had the iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS. I love my DroidX and consider the iPhones to be kindergarten phones. My wife has my old iPhone 3GS and I can barely use it anymore. Its seems so dumbed down, which is expected..it is an apple device. I know OSX is that way but since I never used any other smart phone, its what I knew and used. Now that I know better, I will never own another iPhone.

bowlingotter

Reaction score
Blackberry user for a few years, then iPhone user for two years, now Droid X is my first Android phone. It's my favorite phone that I've ever owned. I'm astounded by the customizeability. I've only had it for 5 days and so far I love it more every day.

razmataz92

Reaction score
can you see the screen clearly in sunlight or outdoors cause i know the incredible had that problem...