Do You Like The New Droid X?

mph122074

Reaction score
This thing is epic. Just picked it up. Better than i expected.

I have to say the same thing...way better than I expected...Well worth being in line for 2 hours this morning to be the 4th person in the door. My store ran out in about 30 min. Up and running with almost every accessory in 15 minutes...

FroYo what??? this thing has so many new features I forgot why I wanted Froyo...Oh yeah FLASH...Well I still want that...Cant wait to see how they configure FroYo for the X...

cj1896

Reaction score
This thing is epic. Just picked it up. Better than i expected.

I have to say the same thing...way better than I expected...Well worth being in line for 2 hours this morning to be the 4th person in the door. My store ran out in about 30 min. Up and running with almost every accessory in 15 minutes...

FroYo what??? this thing has so many new features I forgot why I wanted Froyo...Oh yeah FLASH...Well I still want that...Cant wait to see how they configure FroYo for the X...

And wait you will.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Have a Moto DROID, an Incredible and now just picked up a Droid X.

Initial impressions:
Good:
1) Screen is impressive and beautiful
2) Screen clarity is excellent
3) Not as big in hands as I was concerned it would be

Not so good:
1) Browser lags compared to Incredible
2) Camera is disappointing - better than DROID but not close to Incredible
3) Scrolling not as consistent as with either DROID or Incredible
4) Winds of Steel (WWII combat flying game) choppy whereas fluid on Incredible

Obviously much more to investigate but camera - both shuuter speed and quality - are important to me as I have children (if you're a parent - 'nuff said) and I always have my phone whereas real camera is often forgotten. Camera on Incredible makes it almost worth going back. I'll give it a couple of days of playing with it before deciding.

Update:

I should add that my software version is .516 not the .604 that others have mentioned may improve photo quality.

Wow, how do you people upgrade so often? And why? I'm keeping my Droid until December...

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
Have a Moto DROID, an Incredible and now just picked up a Droid X.

Initial impressions:
Good:
1) Screen is impressive and beautiful
2) Screen clarity is excellent
3) Not as big in hands as I was concerned it would be

Not so good:
1) Browser lags compared to Incredible
2) Camera is disappointing - better than DROID but not close to Incredible
3) Scrolling not as consistent as with either DROID or Incredible
4) Winds of Steel (WWII combat flying game) choppy whereas fluid on Incredible

Obviously much more to investigate but camera - both shuuter speed and quality - are important to me as I have children (if you're a parent - 'nuff said) and I always have my phone whereas real camera is often forgotten. Camera on Incredible makes it almost worth going back. I'll give it a couple of days of playing with it before deciding.

Update:

I should add that my software version is .516 not the .604 that others have mentioned may improve photo quality.

I, too, started with a Droid, currently an Incredible (which will go on another line) and just ordered my Droid X.

I see your comments about the camera. I'll need to test that out while at Disney as that's where I take a lot of pictures with my daughter. I HATED having to press that button on the front of the camera. I need a dedicated button and be able to hold like a camera. I'm hoping the pictures aren't as bad as you're saying. At least it's better than the Droid.

Also, have you installed a third party browser? I always use Dolphin HD over stock, so I'm wondering how that works?

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
Wow, how do you people upgrade so often? And why? I'm keeping my Droid until December...

Simple: I'm a phone whore and go through 4 phones a year. I have a multi-line account and use the upgrades from other lines for my needs. 2 netbooks and 3 actual phones. With my timing, I always have an upgrade available when needed.

Airhead878

Reaction score
Droid X

My wife just picked up 2 Droid X's thismorning! Too bad I am in Iraq and will have to wait until I get home to play with it.. I'm sure there will be plenty of updates by then though! Like Flash 10.1! :)

You all should stop comparing the Droid X to the Incredible. I do not have any experience with either (I have to take my wifes' word for it) but I personally would never buy a phone made by HTC.. Motorola is definitely a better phone companydancedroid

CCMDOc

Reaction score

Simple: I'm a phone whore and go through 4 phones a year. I have a multi-line account and use the upgrades from other lines for my needs. 2 netbooks and 3 actual phones. With my timing, I always have an upgrade available when needed.

Actually that wasnt a quote from me - that was a quote from Googleaddict who quoted me. I am just as much a phone whore myself.

CCMDOc

Reaction score
My wife just picked up 2 Droid X's thismorning! Too bad I am in Iraq and will have to wait until I get home to play with it.. I'm sure there will be plenty of updates by then though! Like Flash 10.1! :)

You all should stop comparing the Droid X to the Incredible. I do not have any experience with either (I have to take my wifes' word for it) but I personally would never buy a phone made by HTC.. Motorola is definitely a better phone companydancedroid

Well Airhead878 - it is perfectly reasonable to compare the two - and so far, the Droid X has some strong points but a few weaknesses as well. The purpose of a forum is to share those experiences so that others can make informed decisions even if only based on subjective opinions such as mine. So far, my initial impressions of browser lag, screen lag and photo quality have been observed by others as well.

CCMDOc

Reaction score
Googleaddict;636098 Wow said:
How? - Extend plan or buy outright.
Why? - Why not? The latest is sometimes the greatest and sometimes not so great. What is important to someone else may or may not be important to me. Only way to find out is to try. If you are satisfied with what you have, don't let anyone tell you that you need to change it or upgrade. My wife has a DROID and she is still very happy with it.

nyijedi

Reaction score
It's disappointing to hear all of the reports of lagginess. F'ing Motorola had to screw up an awesome thing with their crappy software. And to top it off, their locked bootloader will most likely prevent people from flashing stock Android on the phone. What a stupid decision on their part.

Dustinmj

Reaction score
Lag/stuttering is definitely noticeable, especially w lwp (incredible handles lwp pretty good)
When you make a speakerphone call status bar blinks green.... bleh aweful.
Moto widgets are crap, buggy too (had a few times when the widget graphics would enlarge and draw all messed up).
Landscape keyboard with prediction takes up 4/5 of the screen so editing text is a pain as you can only see one line.
Home screen indicator is super intrusive and annoying. The delay is too long before it reverts to menu (though there is a small area center screen about 3/4 inch up where you can swipe it away)
There are crevices all around the phone to fill with crud. Especially around the screen/buttons.
Battery was at 30% then i reboot and it's 60%... whaaa?

What i like:
Size/screen is perfect
hardware is a home run
Great balance feels great in the hand
DLNA is awesome... picked up my mediatomb sever right away... can copy/stream music and video
Camera button is in the right place... Which it wasn't on incredible
Camera zoom buttons
speakerphone/phone sounds great
Text selection targeting is isa good effort

Verdict: incredible is a better device overall at this point by far imho

Put stock froyo on it... that's another story altogether.

modified

Reaction score
Played around with it for about 3 hours.

It lags. If you have ever used a Droid clocked at 800 mhz, well then you know what it feels like. Fortunately, that monstrously beautiful screen patches up that flaw.

It is, without a doubt, a better phone than the Droid and the Incredible. However, it is not a game changer nor is it worth upgrading to from a Droid (unless you have the money). My advice? Wait for something better to come along.

zero7404

Reaction score
i saw a dummy @ the vzw store ... that thing is huge.... might as well lug an ipad around and call it a fone ....

dherbert

Reaction score
Just got the X, had the moto droid. Issue with exchange server email, can't get it to sync at all. Using touchdown now. I loved launcher pro on the droid, hate the preloaded widgets hogging up space. Was is such a rush getting the last one I didn't realize no hdmi, my bad....