Why the Droid X over iPhone

danCBR1Krr

Reaction score
I am just curious, what kind of stuff needs to be sync'd? Out of the almost 2 years that I've had an android phone I've never once needed to sync it with my computer..

itunes, ical, iphoto, ect. They sync very easily with iphone because they are all apple products. That being said, I love my X and would not trade it for an iphone. Personally I wish the iphone would have stayed exclusive to ATT.

DavidDX

Reaction score
I realize the benefit of some apple products. Yes, even the iphone. Let's be real. But what it came down to when choosing between the big two was basically that the DX has the iphone beat hands down in these categories (among others) that are best for what I need in a smart phone:

Intuitive
Screen size
...and the droid is actually a great phone. To you know, be used for talking to people.

Imagine that.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

What!!?? You can make phone calls on the X, what do you have to be rooted or something?

This made me Lol

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
My #1 reason for not getting an iPhone, is screen size. I don't care how pretty the retina display is, I refuse to browse and watch movies on a screen the size of a postage stamp...

Next reasons are no expandable storage, and no removable battery. If I want more memory, I want to snap a new card in, not buy a new phone. If I want more battery, or one goes dead or flunky, I am not going to drive to the mall and stand in line, I would rather just swap out a battery myself, or bring a spare when I go camping and am away from a power source to charge...

And I like the customization, although if you jailbreak your iPhone, you can do quite a bit, just not as much.

In the end, there is nothing that the iPhone can do that my Droid X cannot. But there are plenty of things that my Droid X can do, that Apple can only dream of...

ChadJ55

Reaction score
In the end, there is nothing that the iPhone can do that my Droid X cannot.

Well, except take a decent picture in low light, play audio out the headphone jack to an auxillary stereo input without sounding like total garbage, get heavy use (movies/music/email) without killing the battery quickly, and synch properly with exchange email without the need for a 3rd party app.

Ok, so maybe I am a little down on my X these days. It is a GREAT telephone, and I don't think the iPhone is, but when it comes to those things I mentioned above, I am really disappointed in Motorola. Seriously, would it have been THAT hard to have made the audio output not totally suck? And did ANYONE try taking a low light picture with this thing while it was in testing?

I will add, however, that I really like the intelligance of the voice controls and integrated google search. Love being able to say "call Home Depot" and have the phone quickly search the web based on my location, find the nearest store and dial the number. Slick. Oh, and I think the hardcore Apple lovers are annoying.

kevinkar

Reaction score
The freedom to use the device the way *I* want to as opposed to the way Steve Jobs wants me to. That's why I still use Windows even though it's got its own issues. Imagine going to Home Depot to buy a fridge only to be told that you can't carry it in your Chevy Silverado because it's not allowed. You have to pick it up in an F-150 or nothing...

I can understand controlling things such that the user experience is always "correct" and "functional" but to restrict me from doing what I want with my phone is just lame and censorship pure and simple. I'm 47 years old and can tell the difference between a poorly written app and the manufacturer of the device. I don't blame Motorola for a force close on a free app....

That's my two cents.

jeff0r3

Reaction score
Well I really considered getting an Iphone. I had the original droid, and made the switch to the Droid X in October. I was very disappointed, that is until I was able to root it and take off alot of the blur stuff. Liberty 1.5 has made this a brand new phone for me, and I find myself tinkering with it all the time. Just like I did with the original Droid. So for me, I'm very very content with my Droid X. I'm very happy with the apps in the android market, and I feel as if its only going to get better. (Wife is getting the Iphone4 and I'll be able to confirm all this)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, except take a decent picture in low light

Mine is ok, was never impressed with any of the 3 iPhones that I had, and to be honest, most dedicated digital cameras suck in low light.

play audio out the headphone jack to an auxillary stereo input without sounding like total garbage

I can't tell the difference between my DX and my iPod Shuffle when it comes to headphones or plugging into an external amplifier. Maybe you have something set up wrong, or have the gain turned up too much and are adding distortion?

get heavy use (movies/music/email) without killing the battery quickly

The phone has a large screen that draws more power. I will take that large screen over the postage stamp that the iPhone has any day. I can now actually watch movies and browse the web without a magnifying glass. That's why the iPhone battery lasts a bit longer. Just like a Yugo uses less fuel than a BMW M3. It's doing less, it should require less energy to do it...

and synch properly with exchange email without the need for a 3rd party app.

My last company was pretty much all iPhone, being based in San Fran... I ditched my iPhone and got the DX and I had zero issues with email and Exchange. Not sure what you are referring to, in all honesty. Mine worked just fine.

Ok, so maybe I am a little down on my X these days. It is a GREAT telephone, and I don't think the iPhone is, but when it comes to those things I mentioned above, I am really disappointed in Motorola. Seriously, would it have been THAT hard to have made the audio output not totally suck? And did ANYONE try taking a low light picture with this thing while it was in testing?

I think the DX is a better phone, and a superior multimedia device. It is much easier to browse the web on the larger screen, and watching video, there is no comparison. The other stuff, sounds subjective. I don't expect a phone to take perfect pictures in the dark, and I have not encountered the audio issues that you have.

I will add, however, that I really like the intelligance of the voice controls and integrated google search. Love being able to say "call Home Depot" and have the phone quickly search the web based on my location, find the nearest store and dial the number. Slick.

Yeah, the voice controls and the voice to type is awesome. SO nice to be able to "text" people while driving and never having to take my eyes off of the road, just by telling the phone what to type for me. Very cool.

Oh, and I think the hardcore Apple lovers are annoying.

See, we can agree on something. ;-)

I was an iPhone fan, until I saw through their marketing and saw that the industry had superior products to offer...