Do the Droid RAZR face buttons have a backlight?

Reaction score
I wondered if this should go into the support forum, but it's not really about a problem as much as it is a general question.

Recently while using my RAZR in the dark I've noticed I'm having trouble pressing the face buttons because I cannot see them. Yes, I know where they are and which one is which, but it's taking me a few extra moments to 'remember'. I don't know whether this sudden issue is because the buttons used to light up but no longer do, or if I'm just losing my mind.

If they do have a backlight, I would like to know how to turn them back on. If they don't even have a backlight, then I guess I'm just losing it.

Thanks!

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
vertigoelectric said:
I wondered if this should go into the support forum, but it's not really about a problem as much as it is a general question.

Recently while using my RAZR in the dark I've noticed I'm having trouble pressing the face buttons because I cannot see them. Yes, I know where they are and which one is which, but it's taking me a few extra moments to 'remember'. I don't know whether this sudden issue is because the buttons used to light up but no longer do, or if I'm just losing my mind.

If they do have a backlight, I would like to know how to turn them back on. If they don't even have a backlight, then I guess I'm just losing it.

Thanks!

Yes, they do. To the best of my knowledge they work in tandem with the screen, not independent of each other.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Thanks!

Yes, they do. To the best of my knowledge they work in tandem with the screen, not independent of each other.

Actually they do work independently, but trying to figure out why the button lights light sometimes and not others is the issue. I just woke my phone and in a room with plenty of light the buttons didn't light, however when I held my finger over the ambient light sensor (just to the left of the earpiece), the buttons light in about a second or two, and when I release my finger, the buttons go back out after a second or two. From that I can clearly say they are at least tied to the light sensor, however there are times I've had them dark in a dark room as the OP described.

hobby31

Reaction score
They are tied to the sensor. In bright light they shouldn't come on. In low light they should. It's a battery saving thing I guess. It's been like that on every android phone I've had and I've had a few.

OP
V
Reaction score
I got them to come back on.

In the Display > Brightness > Ambient Light, I turned on Automatic brightness. When I did this, the face buttons lit up. Except... I don't want Automatic Brightness enabled, so I turned it back off. However, even when I turned Automatic brightness off again, the face button backlights continued to work. They turn on when the screen is on, and off when the screen is off, except when there is a lot of external light, they will turn off independent of the screen.

So far this is fine. I really don't know what happened. No setting is different now than it was before. I simply turned Automatic brightness on then off again.

Heh. Thank for the helpful replies, of course!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
:icon_ banana: Glad to hear it. So based on what you've determined, it could have been simply that it needed to be reset to Auto brightness to trigger the light sensor to work properly. All's well that ends well!

:biggrin:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
FoxKat said:
Actually they do work independently, but trying to figure out why the button lights light sometimes and not others is the issue. I just woke my phone and in a room with plenty of light the buttons didn't light, however when I held my finger over the ambient light sensor (just to the left of the earpiece), the buttons light in about a second or two, and when I release my finger, the buttons go back out after a second or two. From that I can clearly say they are at least tied to the light sensor, however there are times I've had them dark in a dark room as the OP described.

L I b danged! Never noticed this 'till I read this post. Goes to show that I have reached the pinnacle of "unobservedness". (Yeah....just made that word up)

OP
V
Reaction score
I came back to say that I never actually got this problem solved. They still don't come on when I need them. I tried repeating the steps I mentioned before that made them come on, but it didn't work. Results are inconsistent.

I want them on when the screen is on, and off when the screen is off. I don't understand why that isn't happening. It also doesn't seem to have anything to do with any light sensors because even in a completely dark room they won't come on.

I've had this phone almost since the Droid RAZR was first released, but I have never noticed a problem with this until recently, which means that it probably wasn't happening until recently.

It's very annoying, and would like to get back on the ball trying to get it fixed and if anybody could help, that would be fantastic. Thanks.