Droid Key Backlight

kastj

Reaction score
The backlight from the bottom keys "bleeds" on to the touchscreen. I think this is just a widespread issue with a droid since I have look at about 5 and they all do the same thing. Once the backlight turns off there is no more bleed. However, the backlight only turns off when there is plenty of light around. This is a problem when trying to watch a video in a dark room since the backlight becomes annoying really quick.. This is my 2nd droid and my 1st one turned the backlight off after a while but this one doesn't. Am I missing something?

OP
kastj

kastj

Reaction score
Come on guys... Almost a 100 views but not a single reply. Does no one know what I am referring to or is this an issue no one has figured out how to solve?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
it shouldn't, there is more than enough space from the keys to the touchscreen. Probably got a bad Droid

OP
kastj

kastj

Reaction score
Thanks, I will go talk to verizon about it tomorrow.

jamsesh

Reaction score
kastj, I noticed that i can see the lights for the bottom keys if i tilt my droid like I'm trying to look down into the bottm (if that makes any sense.) None of it "bleeds" out onto the screen though. Good luck!

blue rocket

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.grafixpressions.com
i exchanged mine yesterday because of dust under the screen. My bottom keys on the droid i returned were not evenly lit and were more of a purply color than white. My new droid has a white/grayish glow that is very even. Something that would never have bothered me...but now that i have a new droid am happy that I did exchange it. The LED lighting bleeds a bit out, but nothing that bothers me at all.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
any way to manually turn off the bottom lights?

synctek

Reaction score
Theres no way to manually toggle on/off but the seetings under display will change the way the lights act - just not for the better IMO. I am more concerned that they turn off when I am in low light and have to guess when trying to hit the back button. Maybe someone can design a widget to control those D@MN lights??

shademar

Reaction score
Mine does this. The bleed is only on the right side and viewable from a dead-on non-tilted angle. I went to verizon and they told me they'd 'find out if it was a known issue' and email me back. Of course, they never did. The bleed bugs me persistently, but it's the only issue I have with the phone. I'm really not sure what to do about it, although I'm tempted to at least go back to vz and tell them their cs leaves something to be desired...

synctek

Reaction score
I would tell them you want a new phone - or try another VZ store. There is a thin sheet between the lights and the screen and it seems that it is a bit crinkled for lack of a better term. If you could remove the screen, I bet it could be straightened out but it should not bleed as you say.....mine doesn't and neither does the 5 display models at any of the VZ stores and kiosks I have been to.

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
tip: to turn on the lights for the back/menu/home/search buttons just tap the camera-shutter button!

synctek

Reaction score
Thx for the tip Whiskey!! It would be better if the lights would just come on when you touch the screen like every other touch screen on the market. If any of you programmers/app developers are listening or Verizon folks or Gods, wizards, wiches, wickens....can somebody please develope an update to make the stupid !@#$!@#$ lights come on when you touch the screen?? If so, you will have solved the only MAJOR issue I have with this phone and I will then be at peace :clap:

kevin1016

Reaction score
My bottom keys on the droid i returned were not evenly lit...
Mine aren't either. Did they deem that a defect? I wasn't really worried about it as I've seen the same thing on multiple videos of other Droids. I figured I would be too picky to try and return it for that.

synctek

Reaction score
Do they ever come on? If not, that is bad and I would return it - defective.