Do I have a bad phone??

danh63

Reaction score
Everyone I talk to with my droid says I sound really muffled. Do I have a bad phone or is there some setting to help this??

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
did you update your capabilities?

dial *228 and option 2. If you still sound muffled try a hard reset. IF that doesn't work then your mic might be blown.

Bdog

Reaction score
I'm having this same problem. I'm constantly having to repeat myself, and to some others I'm on the verge of shouting. Not worth replacing because I'm hard of hearing and rarely use the phone to speak anyway, but if there's a fix I'd like to know.

I'll be giving the *228 a shot and edit this post or add one later to let anyone know if it worked.

OP
D

danh63

Reaction score
tried the *228 option 2. it is prgramming my phone! did I screw things up?

dmartins

Reaction score
Do you have your noise canceling mic covered by a case?

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
voice privacy turned on? I had to disable this due to this very reason up here in the boonies.

OP
D

danh63

Reaction score
voice privacy turned on? I had to disable this due to this very reason up here in the boonies.

No mic is not covered. What is that voice privacy? I saw that and unchecked and it made no difference.

toddegreene

Reaction score
Try this, dial ##PROGRAM, enter 000000 for passcode. Then select 04 VOCODE. Choose 13k from menu, apply, then reboot. This changes the voice compression.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try this, dial ##PROGRAM, enter 000000 for passcode. Then select 04 VOCODE. Choose 13k from menu, apply, then reboot. This changes the voice compression.
^^^^^^^^

This. *228 option 2 just handles your phones roaming capabilities. You should do that about once a month anyway.

OP
D

danh63

Reaction score

Just tried that, thanks will know soon if it worked! If it doesn't should I change it back to where it was? Beginning to wonder if I remember what it was before I changed it!

OP
D

danh63

Reaction score
anyone know what it is supposed to be? That didn't work

Bdog

Reaction score
I have a case on my Droid, but it does not cover the mic.

I disabled voice privacy settings

I dialed *228, did not give me any options, tried and failed to activate my already activated phone

I did ##PROGRAM and just now rebooted. Hopefully of all the things I did, something will work. Have to wait for somebody to wake up to call me now...