I sound muffled / quiet to my callers

dsm

Reaction score
I think I am going crazy. ALL, and I do mean ALL, of my callers tell me that my voice sounds muffled on my new Motorola Droid. However, when I take it into the Verizon store, or call Verizon tech support (*611), they tell me that I sound fine and that there is no problem. Is Verizon messing with my head, or is there really that much of a deterioration in call quality from my old Razr to the new Droid?? I am stumped... no one ever complained about my Razr. The quality of what I hear on my end of the Droid is excellent, but I am tired of having to talk unnaturally loud into my Droid for people to hear me. Should I exchange it, even though Verizon says it is fine? Or is it just the way it is with the Droid? Some of the people on this forum say they sound just like they're on a land line. I am nowhere close to that. I'm so confused about what to do... advice, please?

OP
D

dsm

Reaction score
Last night I paired it with my Bluetooth, and left myself messages here at work. The Bluetooth message actually sounded a little clearer. After reading some of the other posts, I think I've decided to swap my unit out for a new one... although I may wait until after the 12/11 update to see if that helps any. Thanks for letting me vent... I was just frustrated with Verizon "support". How can they possibly be the only ones who don't think I sound muffled. I love my Droid in every other way, so I don't want to be dissatisfied with call quality if it just happens to be the unit I got.

M1dnite

Reaction score
My girlfriend says" "You sound muffled" all the time to me. I think it's when I move the speaker from my mouth and I kind of lean it back when I talk.

But, I talk like that on all phones...

I chalk it up to user error.

OP
D

dsm

Reaction score
Maybe so... I guess that's what I need to figure out. This is my first smart phone.

bucsfann20

Reaction score
same problem

i get the same thing... every single call.

im past my exchange policy date, so im hoping the dec 11 update helps with that.

other than that, its annoying talking loud just to say "Get 2% not 1% MILK"

MarcR727

Reaction score
Go into the phone and type in ##7764726 and press send. The password is 000000.

In option 04 (vocode), change the option to EVRC-B, it made my in-call audio sound wayyy better. Your phone will reset after you exit and apply the new setting.

OP
D

dsm

Reaction score
I did that last week, but did it did not have a noticable effect. Does anyone think that maybe it is because I have used a plain old Razr for the past five years, and that I'm just not used to the difference in a smart phone?

Droidaloid

Reaction score
DROID Outbound call quality very poor, voice sounds "muffled"

There are many other threads (https://supportforums.motorola.com/...A1E1C63294E1E21CCEA5.node0?start=375&tstart=0) on other forums that indicate this is not an infrequent occurrence. I have tried every remedy post-OTA update (privacy button off, vocode set to EVRC-B, cycle battery, speaker, etc) and the people I call still tell me I sound like I'm calling from the bottom of a barrel. I have had 3 DROIDS now and they all have done the same thing. there is a marginal improvement when using the bluetooth headset, and much better improvement when using hands-free (speaker phone), but handset-to-ear is still bad. I believe this must be a firmware/software issue. I hope Verizon/Motorola/Google fix this or they will see a quick tail off in sales.

cdd543

Reaction score
My wife complains about mine all the time too. I'm on #2 and have done all the tricks...lame.

bassic83

Reaction score
May seem silly, but...

Has anyone here heard if the Eris has the same issues? I'm way past my return date, but if this issue continues for me, I may end up paying full pop for an Eris if I cannot get resolution from Werizon Vireless. I love the Droid, but I hate the voice quality. From where I stand, it seems that for the money paid, we should have a phone that actually works! I don't know about anyone else, but they will have exactly THREE (3) chances to make things right by me, or I will be getting a law firm involved, and am considering leveling a breach-of-contract dispute and a class-action lawsuit against VZ, Goog, and Moto.

astrilt1

Reaction score
my brother in-law had the same problem and it was caused by a protective case he was using on the droid. once he removed it, calls were much clearer

NaterGator

Reaction score
Ugh, all of my callers complain of this. To test I just set my Google Voice greeting message and I see what they are saying... it sounds atrocious, like I'm talking through a few blankets.

I'm wondering, for people who have this issue: look closely at your Droid's microphone pickup (the little slot on the chin) and see if there is a tiny hole down in there. If so, is it centered and is it more towards the top of the bottom.

For people that don't have this problem, same thing. What does your mic pickup look like?

bigthinker

Reaction score
The only time I sound muffled or very faint is when I am laying down and trying to talk with the phone in the upside down position....No one has complained about the way I sound otherwise. Mine is naked and has no cover. :motdroidvert: