I sound muffled / quiet to my callers

Tracyap

Reaction score
I just received my third refurbished Droid today because of the muffled issues. I've heard ... that manufacturing dates of 40/09 tend to have these kinds of problems. If this one presents with the same poor call quality, Verizon tells me that I'm in line for a brand new one. Really my only complaint with the phone, but it's a big one ... There's an active thread on this matter on the Motorola site: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16215?tstart=0

TrueFangz

Reaction score
12 people at my company got Droids a few weeks ago. 3 of us are having this problem too. I've called people on Verizon, T-Mobile, and land lines (basic, and VOIP) they all have said that I sound like I'm in a tunnel, and am yelling with my mouth right on the mic.

Two of my co-workers are complaining of the the same issue on their phones.

I find it odd that we have 12 Droids shipped to us, and so far, 3 out of the 12 users (myself included) are having issues. What's the chance of that?

I really haven't found an answer out as to if this problem is a physical defect, of if it's a soft issue.

Anybody else have any advice?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Reboot every 3 days if people you call are sometimes complaining about echoing/muffled/garbled voice. You won't get these complaints if you use bluetooth/speakerphone a lot. If you do get a call where someone complains, toggle the speakerphone on and off. Also, make sure you are speaking into the mic.

Daywalker

Reaction score
Go into the phone and type in ##7764726 and press send. The password is 000000.

In option 04 (vocode), change the option to EVRC-B, it made my in-call audio sound wayyy better. Your phone will reset after you exit and apply the new setting.
When I do that phone will not call out

pudah

Reaction score
I could very well be how you're holding your phone. The physical design and location of the mic are such that if it's not in a sweet spot, or your face shape/size doesn't permit it to be in the sweet spot, it's going to sound distant/muffled. With other phones you could prop it on your shoulder, move it around, etc. and get slightly worse, but OK sound... not with the Droid. If it's off to the side or tilted it will be really hard to hear you. It is an unfortunate limitation of the phone, but not a deal breaker for me. I either use BT or have trained myself to properly hold the phone when talking on it. Who uses this phone to talk anyway?? ;)

eclsnowman

Reaction score
I have found if you hold your hand under the droid and cup-it it helps my callers hear me much better (see picture). Sorry I had to take a picture of my hand and photoshop a stock droid pic into it because the droid is my only camera right now.

It is kind of sad that our smart-phone's biggest drawbacks are poor Pop3 email refresh/notification, poor keyboard, and poor call quality. Winmo isn't looking so bad anymore with drawback's like these. Don't get me wrong, Droid is a far far better browser/app/media device. But the basics are still lacking.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just want to reiterate that rebooting every 3 days w/ no other changes to call setting has worked for me for over a month.

Related to pop3 not polling, don't use the stock email client. Use k9 and be sure to set Folders to display to all. Still broken? Don't use wifi.

solorca

Reaction score
Has anyone here heard if the Eris has the same issues? I'm way past my return date, but if this issue continues for me, I may end up paying full pop for an Eris if I cannot get resolution from Werizon Vireless. I love the Droid, but I hate the voice quality. From where I stand, it seems that for the money paid, we should have a phone that actually works! I don't know about anyone else, but they will have exactly THREE (3) chances to make things right by me, or I will be getting a law firm involved, and am considering leveling a breach-of-contract dispute and a class-action lawsuit against VZ, Goog, and Moto.

Wow...think you're going a little overboard here?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
By the way, the rebooting every 3 days thing was to solve the problem where people complain of echoing etc. but they sound fine to you. One interesting thing about that problem was that if you toggle the speakerphone on and off it would always clear up the problem. Sounds software-related to me.