Callers complain

cosmonaut

Reaction score
About 40% of the time callers complain that they can't hear me well. Either my voice is weak or garbled. Sounds like I am in a box, they claim. Others never complain. It is almost like it is the same group of callers that complain. I took my Droid to verizon and they changed a setting and it helped some what but I am still getting complaints. I never had these issues with my V750. Any ideas? No I am not rooted.:mad:
If it don't improve I am going to jump ship to a different type phone.....

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Id say get some friends to help you and test it out, or go in different rooms and have THEM talk on your droid so you can hear it. I have had mine for months and never had someone complain about the sound or volume of my voice...

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
About 40% of the time callers complain that they can't hear me well. Either my voice is weak or garbled. Sounds like I am in a box, they claim. Others never complain. It is almost like it is the same group of callers that complain. I took my Droid to verizon and they changed a setting and it helped some what but I am still getting complaints. I never had these issues with my V750. Any ideas? No I am not rooted.:mad:
If it don't improve I am going to jump ship to a different type phone.....

Sorry you're having this issue, cosmonaut. Have you tried any of this? If not, it's worth a shot.

HOW TO UPDATE YOUR PRLs:

To improve call quality, you may want to update your PRLs, you do this by dialing *228 and select Option 2.

1. Go to Menu > Settings > Call settings > and be sure to uncheck Voice privacy

2. Bring up your phone dial pad and dial ##program (##776-4726) and hit Send, then enter 000000 for the SPC password then select Option 4- VOCODE, change VOCODE from EVRC to EVRC-B and click APPLY, now back out to home screen and the phone will reboot.

And a video of the process:

[video=youtube;J6Zyu-LeTes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Zyu-LeTes&feature=PlayList&p=6F33E6710E6CEEA6&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=25]YouTube - How To Access Droid Hidden Menu and Improve Call Quality HD[/video]

OP
cosmonaut

cosmonaut

Reaction score
Thanks Anne. I unchecked voice privacy but the other two suggestions have already been done. I suspect that Verizon did the ##program. What actually did unchecking voice privacy do?

OP
cosmonaut

cosmonaut

Reaction score
One other thing. I did the 2.1 update on my own before it was done by Verizon. Would that have something to do with it? I really never had these issues until the update. should I be thinking of going back and down grade to 2.0?

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I'd heard about the *228 but not the last thing. I just changed it. I'll have to see if it sounds noticeably different later as I have nobody I really care to call right now lol

Also, I read somewhere else that enabling or disabling Voice Privacy has no real bearing on voice quality itself but again, I haven't confirmed that myself.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does toggling speakerphone on and off fix the problem when you're on a call? Then maybe you can do what I do:

1) reboot every 3 days
2) turn down the call volume as much as you can

jimnutt

Reaction score
Another possibility, do you have a case on your phone? Some cases interfere with the noise cancellation microphone (a tiny 'dent' at the top rear of the phone just to right of the headphone jack). And depending on how you hold your phone you can cover it with your finger as well. That can cause poor voice quality.