Disable the new Notification Unlock screen?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Wow, my boss is cheesed off.
Took the L update, damn, should have told him not to, and he hates hates hates this new notification "Lock" screen.

And it doesn't look like it can be removed:
security - Bypass Swipe up to unlock on Android Lollipop lock screen - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

Swipe to unlock AND pattern lock huh - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Issue 79889 - android - Lollipop lock screen needs an option to skip the new swipe step - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

Seriously?? Wow, Google. #Fail
Be together, not the same, but you will have a notification lock screen whether you like it or not....

It doesn't bother me in the least. I like it. But plenty of people do not, obviously.

Don't suppose anyone else has any ideas?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I can't seem to figure out what triggers it? Sometimes I'll have notifications and I unlock it and it'll go to the notification screen, sometimes it goes right back to desktop. I can only assume it's the difference between "sleep" and "deep sleep" but that still doesn't always seem to match up...

My only gripe is I have so many running apps in my notification bar it ends up being all of those and then the tiny bar at the bottom showing the actual new notifications. Personally I'd rather be able to always go straight to my desktop, but this is a cool alternative that I can live with.

I'll bet once this thing has root someone will figure out a way to change it or take it out, it's amazing what those guys can do!

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
If you're referring to the screen that requires a swipe before the PIN/pattern/password input screen when pressing the power button, that can be "bypassed." Settings -> Security -> "Power button shows screen lock" and turn that on. With that on, pressing the power button will bring you straight to the screen where you input your unlock PIN/password/pattern instead of the "Notifications" screen.

However, doing that would require you to press the back button to get to the media controls that some music apps use (Google Play Music does, Pandora doesn't). That "Notifications" screen is where the media controls are.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I don't use a PIN so I'm not sure which one you mean, but this is the screen that appears after you swipe down to unlock the phone on that initial all black/clock only screen. It's kind of like a pre-pulled down notification bar that lists everything in it and you double tap something to open it or swipe up again to go to the desktop.

At least, I think that's the one he's referring to :confused:

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't use a PIN so I'm not sure which one you mean, but this is the screen that appears after you swipe down to unlock the phone on that initial all black/clock only screen.
No, not after.
"after you swipe down the clock only screen". <--- that one.
If you have security on your phone you are then presented with that after you swipe the "notification shade" off.

If you're referring to the screen that requires a swipe before the PIN/pattern/password input screen when pressing the power button, that can be "bypassed." Settings -> Security -> "Power button shows screen lock" and turn that on. With that on, pressing the power button will bring you straight to the screen where you input your unlock PIN/password/pattern instead of the "Notifications" screen.

Fantastic work around. Just made me look like the ROCKSTAR that I am. ;) THANKS!
*NOTE: This does not work with SMART LOCK
He will not be using that.

However, doing that would require you to press the back button to get to the media controls that some music apps use (Google Play Music does, Pandora doesn't). That "Notifications" screen is where the media controls are.

He doesn't care about that in the slightest.
Thanks again for the tip!

lgbalfa

Reaction score
is this the screen you are talking about?

it is not a part of "Moto Display", it is actually the screen after it where you have to press the power button.

see attached pic.

how do i get rid of these "notifications"? (text messages, e-mails, etc..)

they just suddenly appeared after the 5.1 update.

erwrw0.jpg

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Settings > Sound and NOTIFICATIONS
uploadfromtaptalk1436391623651.png

But the screen will still be there.

TapaTurbo

1coopgt

Reaction score
is this the screen you are talking about?

it is not a part of "Moto Display", it is actually the screen after it where you have to press the power button.

see attached pic.

how do i get rid of these "notifications"? (text messages, e-mails, etc..)

they just suddenly appeared after the 5.1 update.

erwrw0.jpg
It's under Sound and Notifications . >Notifications > When Device is locked .

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
No, not after.
"after you swipe down the clock only screen". <--- that one.
If you have security on your phone you are then presented with that after you swipe the "notification shade" off.

Fantastic work around. Just made me look like the ROCKSTAR that I am. ;) THANKS!
*NOTE: This does not work with SMART LOCK
He will not be using that.

He doesn't care about that in the slightest.
Thanks again for the tip!

Ahh my bad then. I was talking about the new full notification screen that I think only appears if you have unchecked notifications. I think. I'll screen shot it next time it happens. My mistake!

Valik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Android Turbo
It's under Sound and Notifications . >Notifications > When Device is locked .
Question. How do I disable all random app notifications while the phone is on lock mode and just have certain apps show up such as texting messages and Facebook messenger? I just want to be able to quickly view the message without unlocking the phone.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You have to block them individually. In the same area (NOTIFICATIONS) is an option for App Notifications where you can block or allow.

TapaTurbo

Valik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Android Turbo
You have to block them individually. In the same area (NOTIFICATIONS) is an option for App Notifications where you can block or allow.

TapaTurbo
I just tried that but it also removes the notifications from the top of the phone for those apps. I like to have the weather app and battery doctor app visible at the top, just not huge notification bars in the middle of my screen when my phone is locked, just like it was with the previous version before the update. It seems there is no way around this.

Last edited:

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
I just tried that but it also removes the notifications from the top of the phone for those apps. I like to have the weather app and battery doctor app visible at the top, just not huge notification bars in the middle of my screen when my phone is locked, just like it was with the previous version before the update. It seems there is no way around this.
If it's the Moto Display notifications, Moto app -> Display -> Select apps. You can pick and choose which apps' notifications will wake Moto Display, however all app notification will be seen on the Lollipop "Notifications" screen.

Last edited: