View notifications on lock screen?

heem

Reaction score
I found that Handcent SMS broke both my and my wife's ability to send MMS pix over text. We both uninstalled and then it started working again.

Maybe I'll try again once an update comes, cuz I did like the idea.

OP
J

JoeFresco

Reaction score
Handcent is interesting, but doesn't quite solve the problem.

I did some more searching tonight and found Executive Assistant.
Executive Assistant (Appventive)

Once I figure out how to pay for apps, I'll try it out.

OP
J

JoeFresco

Reaction score
I figured out how to buy apps, and got Executive assistant.

It's the right idea. An app comes up while the phone is locked to display email/text/calendar/RSS notifications.

However, here are my problems with it.
First, it takes >2s to appear. It should _be_ the lock screen not show the lockscreen for 2-4s and then appear.
Second, it has no means of unlocking the phone on it. There should be a swipe thing built into it.
Third, the way to unlock the phone is to hit the home button while it is up. It didn't seem to work every time, and it seems to me that hitting the home button could easily happen by accident because you think the phone is locked.

Basically, I want Executive Assistant to appear the moment I press the wake button and be the lock screen itself. Then that would solve this complaint.

Appventive

Reaction score
I figured out how to buy apps, and got Executive assistant.

It's the right idea. An app comes up while the phone is locked to display email/text/calendar/RSS notifications.

However, here are my problems with it.
First, it takes >2s to appear. It should _be_ the lock screen not show the lockscreen for 2-4s and then appear.
Second, it has no means of unlocking the phone on it. There should be a swipe thing built into it.
Third, the way to unlock the phone is to hit the home button while it is up. It didn't seem to work every time, and it seems to me that hitting the home button could easily happen by accident because you think the phone is locked.

Basically, I want Executive Assistant to appear the moment I press the wake button and be the lock screen itself. Then that would solve this complaint.

Hi Joe,
Thanks for giving the old version a try. The latest version (v1.3.4) provides an instant-on lock screen for Android 2.0 and later if you want to give it another try.

Regarding unlocking, there are currently three ways to unlock: press HOME to unlock & go to your home screen, press BACK to unlock and return to whatever you were doing before the screen turned off, or select one of the launch actions (e.g., launch gmail -- long press any tab for the associated launch actions). In all cases, if you pattern lock your phone, you will need to enter your unlock pattern to complete the unlock.

If you don't pattern lock your phone, then yes, its theoretically possible that you could accidentally unlock your phone while carrying it in your pocket, though in practice this doesn't seem to happen - with over 10,000 downloads of the free version, I haven't received any complaints about accidental unlocks and I personally carry my own phone with the EA lock screen in my front-pocket all the time without any problems.

If you do give it another try, please let me know what you think.

All the best,
Steve