Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hello!

I haven't used the fingerprint to unlock since I first got my Note 4. Never set it up again after I installed Lollipop and did a factory reset.

I just got the update to Wallet that changes it to Android Pay and I decided I'd give the fingerprint lockscreen a go again.

I set it up just fine with the 3 fingers allowed and used the "Enhance" option to scan each finger another 10 times. I tested it out a few times after setting it up last night and it worked like a charm.

My issue is, today, whenever I hit the home or power button to turn the screen on, I'm presented with the lock screen, but it's got the little lock icon (like when you just set it to swipe to unlock) down at the bottom. I have to swipe to get the arrow prompt to scan my finger and it doesn't register my finger until I do that.

So, instead of being able to push the home button and then immediately swipe my thumb like I was able to do when I tried this feature on KitKat, I'm having to add a step by swiping the screen before using the scanner.

Is anyone else having this issue, or is it just me? Once this morning, it didn't present me with the lock icon and just let me scan right away, so I'm thinking/hoping I'm having some sort of glitch. It used to be so convenient when it worked and it seems like they really did improve the capability of the scanner with Lollipop, but I'm not liking the extra swipe.

Anybody using the fingerprint to unlock and/or willing to enable it temporarily to test this for me?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I just tested it on my Note Edge running 5.0.1 and it works as intended. There isn't an extra swipe.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It appears to be an issue with SmartLock. I had been a little lax about security because I haven't left my phone anywhere out of sight in years. I had it set to swipe to unlock.

Didn't realize I still had my watch set up as a trusted device. SmartLock was on, so it shouldn't have been asking for my fingerprint at all. I think it's working properly now. Wouldn't have figured it out, but it suddenly didn't ask for the fingerprint & that got me thinking.