DINC still worth getting?

Shade00

Reaction score
I just got my Incredible this past Saturday. The phone has been superb; fast, beautiful, and light. Battery life is about what I would expect. I did order a 1500 mah HTC battery and I think it's performing better than the 1300 mah stock. However, the big problem I had was that when I switched batteries, I shut the phone down, put the 1500 in, let it charge overnight, and then when I started it up the next morning, Every non-original app and every gadget force closed. Couldn't run anything. Had to do a factory reset. This has me very worried. I may try to repeat the problem, and if I can replicate it, I will probably return the Incredible and get an X.

windstrings

Reaction score
I bought the Seidio 3500mah battery... I can go crazy all day long and still have tons of battery left.
Mine runs perfect without flaws.

When its time for me to upgrade it will be a hard choice.
I like the larger screens but its ashamed without a faster processor.
The X and the Dinc have the same snapdragon processor I think?

But one asset the Dinc has is that I can be easily configured to give me a free hotspot any time I want "without a charge".... without further research, I don't know if the competition will do that.

tigerdango

Reaction score
Correct, the INC and X both have a 1GHz Snapdragon processor. About the only differences really between the two are the screen size, screen quality, battery life, and UI from what I understand.

Wadzii

Reaction score
the Dx has a 1ghz omap processor.. which is superior to the snapdragon.

any android phone has the ability to be a "hotspot" with the right kernel and the wifi tether app.. Also, pdanet is free and will usb tether any android phone.

I gave mine an honest atempt with the 1500mah htc battery.. still less than 12hrs and when it got low it didnt charge up fast enough to use away from the cord.. kind of defeats the purpose.

I checked out the big seido battery.. by then it was as thick and heavy as my D1.

My Dinc went back monday, i'm back to my trusty D1.. 30+hrs on a charge ftw.. the only thing i miss is the extra RAM the Dinc has vs the d1.

Reaction score
Actually the DINC has the qualcomm snapdragon while the X (and most of the Droid line) use Texas Omaps.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

tigerdango

Reaction score
Oh. I stand corrected. I thought Droid 2, INC, and X all used the Snapdragon. Still Snapdragon can't be that bad a processor, my INC has performed wonderfully for me thus far.

Wadzii

Reaction score
Snapdragon isnt bad at all.. just the GPU they use is pretty crappy. The GPU in the D1 is better, the GPU in the Dx/D2 is an order of magnatude better.

example.. in the quadrant benchmark, my D1 running at 1ghz generally runs 2x faster on the graphics portions of the test. (10fps vs 20fps)

tigerdango

Reaction score
Oh. -Shrug.- Well the INC runs well enough for me. Like I said before I've not had any slowdown or problems from it. The only problems I've had have been figuring out how to work like the freaking contacts and stuff like that. ><

Wadzii

Reaction score
The slow gpu wont give you problems until they start putting more 3d effects and games on these phones.. In the same way that the 256mb of ram never gave me problems until heavy apps came out.. engadget, nfl mobile and a few others. I get "out of memory" fc's on a regular basis w/those apps. I never saw that when i had the Dinc... Thats actually the only reason I got the Dinc was b/c it has 2x as much ram

tigerdango

Reaction score
Heh yeah. INC's a good phone. But what you said about newer stuff, that much is obvious. I mean it's just like a PC, right. The better games get, the more you have to upgrade to have better processing power, memory, etc. That's just a natural part of the technology world.

windstrings

Reaction score
any android phone has the ability to be a "hotspot" with the right kernel and the wifi tether app.. Also, pdanet is free and will usb tether any android phone.

True, but I'm talking about "wireless tether"... pdanet has bluetooth but works sporatically at best but the cable link is flawless.

But the DINC can be set to work with the standard hotspot software that comes with the phone "froyo 2.2 and beyond" in about 1 minute by simply changing a setting.
Once thats done, it can simply be turned on an off at will in 5 seconds "without a fee".

I know the motodroid will not do this because the software didn't come with the OTA update for that phone.. I don't know about the competition.

This is a nice feature for those of us who haven't warmed up to the idea of rooting yet with all its potential pitfalls and hassles come update time.

coskier

Reaction score

True, but I'm talking about "wireless tether"... pdanet has bluetooth but works sporatically at best but the cable link is flawless.

But the DINC can be set to work with the standard hotspot software that comes with the phone "froyo 2.2 and beyond" in about 1 minute by simply changing a setting.
Once thats done, it can simply be turned on an off at will in 5 seconds "without a fee".

I know the motodroid will not do this because the software didn't come with the OTA update for that phone.. I don't know about the competition.

This is a nice feature for those of us who haven't warmed up to the idea of rooting yet with all its potential pitfalls and hassles come update time.

Funny you mention this. I came across the settings changes this morning and they work great. It was the only real reason I wanted to root, and now I don't need to wait for Unrevoked...

tigerdango

Reaction score
My girlfriend told me about a Droid Incredible seminar in our area. Too bad the tickets were all sold out. There must be a lot of Incredible users in our area. x.x But yeah, amazing what you will find in those settings. :p