Is it worth Getting a DInc at this point in time?

TMYINC

Reaction score
Well my upgrade time has come and I am at time where I am going to choose a new phone. At this point in time I am having difficulty choosing a phone from Verizon. Ive been using my rooted Droid 1 for quite a while now (which Im sure I will still use since Im a flashaholic lol) but I feel that there are a lack of good choices right now. The locked bootloader of newer Motorola phones has deterred me some from getting an X. And right now there is not many choices for Samsung phones as far as rooting/customizing. So I have been asking myself if it is too late to buy a HTC Incredible. Right now it would be only $100 for me to upgrade for the DInc but is it too much of an outdated phone? I know there a few new phones coming to Verizon but not know when that will happen and having to wait kills me lol. I know some devs still work on roms and such for the DInc but will that last as long as the Droid 1 has? Please give me any suggestions that you have. I am open to anything at this point in time. Just wanting a general consensus on this topic in case someone may have an idea or thought that didn't cross my mind. Thank you in advance.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I think the incredible is still the best android phone at Verizon currently and will be up there for a bit longer. The Bionic does look amazing, though. I don't know if you'd prefer waiting for that. But I've never had complaints about my incredible other than the battery life. I think it's an amazing phone.

CxUNG

Reaction score
Patienc is a virtue. If i were you i woukd wait a little longer i would with all verizon new fones coming out. Thundebolt is nice.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would wait too - HTC has some great upcoming devices :)

pyro6128

Reaction score
Well my upgrade time has come and I am at time where I am going to choose a new phone. At this point in time I am having difficulty choosing a phone from Verizon. Ive been using my rooted Droid 1 for quite a while now (which Im sure I will still use since Im a flashaholic lol) but I feel that there are a lack of good choices right now. The locked bootloader of newer Motorola phones has deterred me some from getting an X. And right now there is not many choices for Samsung phones as far as rooting/customizing. So I have been asking myself if it is too late to buy a HTC Incredible. Right now it would be only $100 for me to upgrade for the DInc but is it too much of an outdated phone? I know there a few new phones coming to Verizon but not know when that will happen and having to wait kills me lol. I know some devs still work on roms and such for the DInc but will that last as long as the Droid 1 has? Please give me any suggestions that you have. I am open to anything at this point in time. Just wanting a general consensus on this topic in case someone may have an idea or thought that didn't cross my mind. Thank you in advance.

Absolutely do not get an incredible. It was a nice phone when it came out, and is still alright, but its just outclassed right now. Its at the end of its life, so it doesn't make sense upgrading to it. I would either get a different phone like the X or the 2, or just wait. The incredible isn't really an upgrade to your droid 1. I had a droid one and rooted and rommed all the time. Eventually I had to get rid of it because of a hardware issue, and i was out of warranty. I got the droid 2 and am extremely happy. My point is don't let the locked bootloader completely deter you. I'm still flashing roms and themeing on the droid 2 (which can also be done with the X). Now I prob wouldn't burn an upgrade right now though because of all the great phones coming out. I was holding out myself, but again, couldnt wait any longer because my phone broke. Maybe you should look into picking a phone up on ebay or craigslist. If you go that route and get a good deal, then I suppose you could get an incredible, but I think it would be absolutely foolish to waste an upgrade on the droid incredible right now.

OP
TMYINC

TMYINC

Reaction score
Yeah the Thunderbolt does look pretty sweet..too bad it's not dual core. The Bionic seems to be a beast stock and might be a good phone even unrooted. I still have my OG Droid to play around with to keep up with current roms and such so that might fulfill my obsession as a flashaholic. 4G doesn't mean much to me right now since I am not in an area that is currently supported and it might take a while for it to come here too. I was thinking about getting the DInc now then using my girlfriends upgrade in a couple months to get either the Bionic or the Thunderbolt and give her my DInc! lol

OP
TMYINC

TMYINC

Reaction score

Absolutely do not get an incredible. It was a nice phone when it came out, and is still alright, but its just outclassed right now. Its at the end of its life, so it doesn't make sense upgrading to it. I would either get a different phone like the X or the 2, or just wait. The incredible isn't really an upgrade to your droid 1. I had a droid one and rooted and rommed all the time. Eventually I had to get rid of it because of a hardware issue, and i was out of warranty. I got the droid 2 and am extremely happy. My point is don't let the locked bootloader completely deter you. I'm still flashing roms and themeing on the droid 2 (which can also be done with the X). Now I prob wouldn't burn an upgrade right now though because of all the great phones coming out. I was holding out myself, but again, couldnt wait any longer because my phone broke. Maybe you should look into picking a phone up on ebay or craigslist. If you go that route and get a good deal, then I suppose you could get an incredible, but I think it would be absolutely foolish to waste an upgrade on the droid incredible right now.

Yeah thats definitely a good point. I was kinda waiting to see if they would start selling the C.P.O Incredibles through Verizon like they do the Droid 1 and the Eris now. Thank you everyone for your insight so far. It is really helpful.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
If you need a powerful phone (i.e. you use your phone as a gadget and not just as a phone), then I'd say wait. If you really just use your phone as a phone (i.e. if you'd be happy with an iPhone), then get whatever floats your boat. I would, however, recommend a Droid X over a DInc simply for the drastically-improved battery life.

That said, I have a Droid X (got it on launch day) and if I were in your shoes, I'd hold off even on the Droid X and wait for a dual-core 1GB phone (i.e. NOT the Bionic).

Just my $0.02 worth.

CxUNG

Reaction score
Not to burst your bubble on the Dinc but iheard/read somewhere that they might discontinue the incredible. I "might" be wrong tho.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

kingsway8605

Reaction score
htc is releasing the thunderbolt in a couple months. Hold out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JMac24

Reaction score
Phone size is an issue for me. I was waiting for the Merge to come out because I think the 4.3 phones and even 4s are too big. The Dinc was the perfect size. I am loving mine. Just got it. However I bought it 3rd party so I still have an upgrade ;)

pyro6128

Reaction score
Yea buying 3rd party is the only way it makes sense

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

RyanPm40

Reaction score
The thunderbolt isn't that much more impressive compared to the incredible though, and ESPECIALLY no where NEAR the other phones getting released.

I hate the X, its a huge phone, has more lag, and motoblur is just ugly. I know people who have switched from a droid or a droid 2 to the incredible and were happy with their decision. Currently, I don't think you can do better than the incredible, but yes, waiting and being patient would definitely be worth it.

SeeEss

Reaction score
So if the Droid Incredible is discontinued, how does that effect those of us that just recently purchased one and will have it for nearly a year (at least)? :)