Different Types of Resets/Reboots...

billyk

Reaction score
Since my Droid has locked-up a few times in the past week, I've got a growing interest in this subject! I've done a little research and found four types of Droid resets/reboots:

- Hard Reset: using the X/Power/Camera/Volume key combination
- Factory Reset: using the function under "Privacy"
- Soft Reboot: using Alt/Shift/Delete
- Battery Pull Reboot: turn off, pull battery, replace and power-up

Questions:
- Is there any appreciable difference between the Hard Reset and the Factory Reset?
- Will the Hard Reset or Factory Reset require that Verizon push 2.0.1 again?

Silver Member
Reaction score
hard reset/factory reset are essentially the same thing. since teh 2.0.1 was a firmware push, you will not lose those settings.

i'm curious to know about your lockups, though. i have had zero as of late and when i did, i knew what the culprit was.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
640:
I've had the Droid for about 6 weeks now. I have installed maybe 6-8 apps in that time - all top-rated, popular apps. A couple I chucked after a few days.

I had 100% reliability until about a week ago. I got a random shut-down (Droid totally unresponsive - fixed with a battery pull). Then another a couple of days ago.

Today, hoping to get back to the 100% reliability level, I chucked a few apps (Adobe PhotoShop, Bebbled, Abduction, maybe something else...) and when I did a battery pull to try to provide a nice clean slate, the Droid started-up and went directly into the random shut-down thing. Another battery pull and it's fine.

For me, the Droid needs to be always there for family calls and txts. The first two times I got a shut-down it was when I needed to make a call. This really sucks.

So, I am thinking about a Factory/Hard reset and just putting SplashID back on, then seeing how that goes for a few weeks. I'd expect the 100% reliability to return.

One nice thing about a Factory/Hard reset for me is to completely remove any connection to WaveSecure. I became uncomfortable with that app from a privacy perspective, uninstalled the app, and then went through the arduous process of getting my account canceled. The other day I received one the the ambiguous txts that looks like a WaveSecure txt (not totally sure it's WaveSecure) and furthermore, when poking around my phone system directories today, I found a file called "BuddyList", which could be the "BuddyList" left behind from WaveSecure. I'd prefer to be totally disconnected from that app/company. I don't think the random shut-downs have anything to do with WaveSecure, however.

Silver Member
Reaction score
what is spashID?

check your SD card for any erroneous files. you might want to wipe it/do a format on it.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
SplashID is a password safe.

I like the idea of wiping/formatting the SD card as well. I might do this when I get around to doing a reset.

rlb

Reaction score
Based on some recent research (sine I plan to reset soon) you should write down or back up (with astro) any apps that you want to keep, then uninstall all apps before the reset. Otherwise, there is a Chance that market may reinstall all of your apps, both free and purchased. Also you might want to back up all texts to the SD card (still looking for best solution) and export any other app data, such as gas mileage tracker etc.

Last edited:
OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I will certainly uninstall all apps that I don't want to have automatically reinstalled.

Not sure I need to back up any apps. I don't have any data in any apps that's critical (SplashID will be sync'd with my laptop) and I'd prefer to have fresh installs. Methinks...

rlb

Reaction score
This looks like a good text backup:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/13111-tip-sms-backup-restore.html
SMS Backup & Restore v1.7 Application for Android | Tools
chart

Though it doesn't back up MMS. Seems like there is no free option to do so.