denied ability 2 turn hotspot "on" using grandfathered plan and no contract Bionic

Extinct

Reaction score
So I had a grandfathered unlimited plan on my Droid X, bought a used, no contract Droid Bionic off of Ebay. Switched the number over no problem but mobile hotspot would not turn on. Called VZW, was told that they would not turn on mobile hotspot capability unless I paid another $29/mo for mobile hotspot plan in addition to the $29/mo I pay for my data plan.

Has anyone else had this happen? I thought the FCC/FTC ruling that they could not charge extra for the mobile hotspot feature did not allow them to do this?Or did i just get a bad rep and should call back?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

N4UPD

Reaction score
I believe the no charge for hotspot was for capped plans. Unlimited customers can get charged extra but you could try using foxfi or something similar. I pay the $30 extra but with 4g its worth it to me.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
N4UPD is correct, if you read the fcc ruling it states, they will offer free hotspot on the new capped plans only and all unlimited plans are required to pay for it.

quote from a Cnet breakdown of the ruling:

"What if I have an old Verizon unlimited data plan? Can I download an app and avoid the $20 tethering fee too?
Unfortunately, the answer to this question is no. Verizon says that customers under the unlimited plan are required by the company's terms of service to pay an additional fee to tether their device."

source: What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News

OP
E

Extinct

Reaction score
OK, read the article you linked to, saw that it relates VZW app only, third party apps are ok though. So I downloaded core technologies app - but I still get a subscription status error?

OP
E

Extinct

Reaction score
My X was rooted, but I don't really have time to keep up to date on the settings/maintain a rooted phone anymore - does this work super easy no troubleshooting?

BDAZZG1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.bdazzdevelopment.com
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Maxx
Twitter
@bdazzg1
My X was rooted, but I don't really have time to keep up to date on the settings/maintain a rooted phone anymore - does this work super easy no troubleshooting?

It is a very snappy stock based ROM with many helpful tweaks and it updates OTA

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

NOVICE

Reaction score
Rumor is that on unlimited data plans where a 3rd party app is used as a hot spot that Verizon sometimes intervenes with a letter threatening to throttle your data.

Just a rumor. Can't attest to its validity.

BDAZZG1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.bdazzdevelopment.com
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Maxx
Twitter
@bdazzg1
No 3rd party app in my ROM. The vzw hotspot is hacked. I use well over 20GB a month...never been throttled

NOVICE

Reaction score
I use over 20 gigs a month.

Unfortunately, I'm paying Verizon extra for that "privilege".

OP
E

Extinct

Reaction score
It is a very snappy stock based ROM with many helpful tweaks and it updates OTA

Is it ok to hijack my own thread? I started down the path to use your ROM and couldn't get safestrap to start (stock Bionic, 4.1.2) - Did a search and could not find much - could you point me in the right direction possibly?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Is it ok to hijack my own thread? I started down the path to use your ROM and couldn't get safestrap to start (stock Bionic, 4.1.2) - Did a search and could not find much - could you point me in the right direction possibly?

you have to be rooted.

OP
E

Extinct

Reaction score
Oh hell, not worth it, this looks like too much of a project - I will just pay the upgrade to foxfi.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Oh hell, not worth it, this looks like too much of a project - I will just pay the upgrade to foxfi.

Root then do the entitlement check update and you're good to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4