add line for new phone and then put 4g sim w/ unlimited data in wifi hotspot device?

crapple_h8er

Reaction score
I know the unlimited data thing has been getting beat to death... so here's another topic :p

I got in on the unlimited data about 2 weeks before Verizon canned it and moved over to tiered plans, at the time getting a Thunderbolt. My contract is close to being up (if it isn't already; need to check the exact date...), and I've already swapped phones once just by buying a used one outright. I just moved houses to basically out into the middle of nowhere lol and strangely still have good 4g coverage at the house, but the only internet services that are offered out here are through satellite (like Hughesnet, who by the way uses tiered plans as well and STILL costs $100 a month for a just 40gb plan!).

I did a little digging and stumbled on where some people were putting 4g sim cards registered to an unlimited data plan into 4g wifi hotspot devices and using them with success. Is this still possible? And then, is it a viable permanent option for home internet? I mean, is using strictly data and nothing else (texts or phone minutes) on that line going to throw up a red flag to Verizon (as if 80gb plus a month from rooted tethering hasn't already :biggrin:).

This is basically what I have planned, I just want to know if it's possible or if something's going to stop me from doing this:

1) IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN, I can keep my current unlimited data on my current line and simply add another line to my current Verizon account. It would be a smart phone plan with a Raz Max HD (just 'cause it's the phone I want lol) with the least minutes as possible (because I really don't use more than maybe 100 a month), unlimited text (because I use the hell out of those), and a 2gb data plan (because I won't be using NEARLY as much on the mobile if my plan works)
2) once the new line is set up and working with the new phone (registered and fully functional) and I'm certain the other line still has unlimited data, buy a Verizon 4g hotspot device (like a JetPack) from eBay or something and put the 4g sim card registered to the unlimited data plan into it
3) use the unlimited data plan line STRICTLY for data/internet access via the wifi hotspot device, left at home, and then use the new phone on the new line with the tiered data as my day to day normal phone according to its contract

Once it's all said and done, I could probably lower the cost of my unlimited line some by lowering the text message plan down (currently on unlimited) and leave the data alone. It would be even MORE awesome if I could swap the phone numbers between the two lines and bring my current number to the new line so there's no changing phone numbers to all my family and friends lol and then the new number would just be left basically not being used.

That plan sound flawed to anyone or worth a try? Anyone done it?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
OK, idk about if you use you unlimited sim in a hotspot..it sounds like it would work..just like shoving it in another phone...

And yes..you can add a line...that would be tiered..and then use the new phone on your unlimited line...lots of people are doing this....

Careful if you use amazon for this...I year they require you to keep the device on that line for x amount of days or they fine you..idk..never used em..

Last edited:
OP
crapple_h8er

crapple_h8er

Reaction score
OK, idk about if you use you unlimited sim in a hotspot..it sounds like it would work..just like shoving it in another phone...

And yes..you can add a line...that would be tiered..and then use the new phone on your unlimited line...lots of people are doing this....

Careful if you use amazon for this...I year they require you to keep the device on that line for x amount of days or they fine you..idk..never used em..

Well in the end I actually wouldnt have the unlimited data plan tied to a phone, the only thing that would have unlimited data would be the wifi hotspot device. The new line with the tiered data I'd just use the new phone on.

I plan on just going straight through a Verizon store and just getting them to add a smartphone line with a 2 year contract to the existing account and leave the current line alone.

OP
crapple_h8er

crapple_h8er

Reaction score
Borrowed a coworker's Jetpack and popped my sim card with unlimited data in it, worked like a charm. Although I'm still a little concerned about the long-term effects of doing that. Would Verizon catch on and ax the line?

Anyone used such a setup for an extended period of time with no side effects?

And the more I think about adding a new line to get a new phone, the less I think I'll need out of a phone, and I'm considering just taking a free phone on the new line with the tiered data, possibly the Lucid 2 since my OG Lucid has been treating me so well :)

Extinct

Reaction score
Borrowed a coworker's Jetpack and popped my sim card with unlimited data in it, worked like a charm. Although I'm still a little concerned about the long-term effects of doing that. Would Verizon catch on and ax the line?

Anyone used such a setup for an extended period of time with no side effects?

And the more I think about adding a new line to get a new phone, the less I think I'll need out of a phone, and I'm considering just taking a free phone on the new line with the tiered data, possibly the Lucid 2 since my OG Lucid has been treating me so well :)

Glad to hear it worked for you, but I am hoping someone will chime in and help me because I am trying to do the same thing. I had unlimited data with a droid X - I conned Verizon in to sending me a sim card for my number that will fit in to my Jetpack, but it does not seem to connect to the internet when I plug it in.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?