Is wifi/wired tethering (Verizon Wifi Hotspot) free now?

w1res

Reaction score
Hi,

I just finished updating my phone to ICS, and I noticed that I have the Verizon "Mobile Hotspot" installed on my phone. When I open up the program I don't get any messages about requiring the plan; however, I remember that when I originally signed my contract, the mobile hotspot feature was an extra $20 a month on top of the fact that any data used would count against your limit as well.

I know that there was recently the ruling that Verizon can't block/charge for tethering on 4G, but it didn't say anything about 3G. I called tech support and they didn't seem to know about whether the tethering adds a monthly fee, they just said to try it and see if I get charged... not exactly what I plan on doing.

Does anyone here know what the deal is?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I remember reading that tethering is fine and will count against your limit, but if you have an unlimited plan they will charge you.

OP
W

w1res

Reaction score
I decided to just risk the fee and try it. When you try to start the mobile hotspot, it says that it is getting provisioning and then that it couldn't get the info or something like that. So I figure you just need the plan still.

But then I tried to do the bluetooth internet sharing with my tablet, and the internet seemed to work fine like that with no warnings or issues. The only thing I'm wondering now is whether the tablet will default to using the wifi even when my phone is connected, or whether I have to manually manage them.