Default Application goes straight to web instead of giving options..

Trifool

Reaction score
I need some help as I can't find where to reset/clear to where I can again have the option of using Youtube or the Web for viewing videos. Previously when using the Browser or Twitter I would be given the option of viewing videos either through the Web or Youtube. Now everything has to be viewed through the Web and no longer have the option to use Youtube. I don't recall ever choosing to default to the Web but I'm guessing that I did. I have gone into Settings-->Applications-->Manage Apps and have looked at my settings under Browser and Twitter but it states no defaults have been set. So I'm hoping that somebody can help and direct me back to where I once again can choose where I can view my videos...Thanks!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
If the above doesn't work, you can also install a 3rd party browser (don't worry, you can delete it afterward) but it should clear the defaults and then click on the video and it should pop up the options of which to choose.

OP
Trifool

Trifool

Reaction score
I did go to Youtube under Settings-->Apps-->Manage Apps and there is nothing set under default apps. So under Youtube, Browser and Twitter there is nothing showing that it is defaulting to the Browser to view videos. So I'm stumped why it's defaulting to this and no longer given the option....

gsDroid

Reaction score
You need to go to settings > applications > manage applications > all > browser > press the clear cache button > press the clear data button. Do the same on the You Tube app. Then try viewing again and you should get your choice of app to view the video.

OP
Trifool

Trifool

Reaction score
I have gone into the Browser, Twitter & YouTube Applications as outlined and cleared the cache. As a precaution I also cleared the data in the 3 applications. I then even turned my phone off, pulled the battery. After 30 seconds I placed the battery back in my phone and restarted the phone. I still do not get the option to choose in viewing a video from YouTube or the Browser. So I'm still at a loss where else to go since both the cache and data have been cleared and still can't bring back the option of viewing between YouTube and the Browser.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Did you try installing an alternate browser?

OP
Trifool

Trifool

Reaction score
Installing a second browser will only give you an option between which browser should the video be viewed through. It will not reset the option to allow the YouTube application to be listed as an option. Thanks though....

Dev850

Reaction score
I am not with verizon or have a motorola droid however i do have some insight but no solution. I have the same problem and in my case it seems to have occurred after the update to ice cream sandwich. Before then, I could choose what I wanted my default app for embedded video to be. Now after the update, I can choose every default except embedded video. There is a streaming video option but the YouTube app is not listed. Is this also the case for you? The one thing I have not tried is uninstalling the YouTube app and reinstalling it. To be honest I've just come to terms with this flaw. I will click the link. Then save the video to my watch later. Then open the app.

dluke

Reaction score
Installing a second browser will only give you an option between which browser should the video be viewed through. It will not reset the option to allow the YouTube application to be listed as an option. Thanks though....

im pretty sure thats false.. once you install a new app that can open and view the video, the next time to click to open a video it should list ALL the apps capable of doing so.. i would atleast try it

amcas522

Reaction score
I need some help as I can't find where to reset/clear to where I can again have the option of using Youtube or the Web for viewing videos. Previously when using the Browser or Twitter I would be given the option of viewing videos either through the Web or Youtube. Now everything has to be viewed through the Web and no longer have the option to use Youtube. I don't recall ever choosing to default to the Web but I'm guessing that I did. I have gone into Settings-->Applications-->Manage Apps and have looked at my settings under Browser and Twitter but it states no defaults have been set. So I'm hoping that somebody can help and direct me back to where I once again can choose where I can view my videos...Thanks!!

I don't know if you've resolved this, but I had the same problem recently. With ICS, I went to manage apps and went to the browser that seemed to be the default, scrolled down and hit the clear defaults button. Hope that works for the next person who needs it.