dailer storage & messaging ...

zero7404

Reaction score
my brothers got a moto droid ... he's experiencing some problems with his messaging, keeps crashing/closing. i looked into his memory usage and found some apps/processes that were pretty high up there. i saw his dialer storage was at 16mb, mine is at 36kb. thinking maybe something is wrong with the app or his phone should be restored ...

dont know why the messanger service is quitting on him but maybe they are tied together with the dialer service ? his free memory is 115mb, and he's got a lot of contacts, many that are linked to facebook sync ....

anyone else have a similar issue ? i told him to restore the phone, but the market doesnt remember free apps downloaded, so he'd have to write down all of them and get them again ....

eliassami5

Reaction score
The dialer storage is a known bug in the android OS, its been reported to google and hopefully they will get on fixing that quickly. Have him try a different messenger like Handcent or ChompSMS and see if that fixes the problem. If all else fails then do a factory reset, you can download ASTRO file manager from the market and it has an option to backup all of your apps so when you restore your phone you can restore all of your apps using ASTRO again.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
thanks ....

what would cause the dialer to bloat like that anyway ? i never saw that on my fone .... same thing with messanger, maybe theres some other app he's using thats causing it to close ?

its wierd ...

i use astro myself but havent tried the backup feature ... how well does it perform ? i.e. after restoring, do those apps function fine, would they appear as 'installed' when you go to the downloads section in the market ?

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
is there a thread about the bug floating around ? i feel something else on his phone may be causing this problem ...