D2 wont activate. cant figure this out!

anchellada

Reaction score
So i bought a used d2 off ebay and activated it on my verizon account. it says my device is active on there. but when i go to dial *228... NOTHING HAPPENS. no ring, no recording, no nothing. its just silent for about 30 seconds and then the "problem with activation" screen pops up. it says: "your phone did not activate. you may need to find an area with better coverage" etc.. its basically telling me i dont have any service. which doesnt make sense because everywhere i go it says that. and i do normally get great service where i am. also, in the status bar, its giving me zero service bars. whats going on?!?

I will contact the seller if i cant figure this out soon, but i just wanted to know if you guys could help me first :)

OP
anchellada

anchellada

Reaction score
Welp i cant figure it out or find much on dialer issues so since i got the d2 off ebay, i guess ill just have to return it. the seller claims they tested it before it was sent butttt i highly doubt it since this is happening. oh wellll they better give me a whole refund and not try to send me another faulty phone or theres gonna be a problem...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try calling vzw to get them to help you activate it manually.

skennelly

Reaction score
I would try doing a factory reset and then activate it during setup. If you get *228 working press 2 to update your prl.

Sent from my DROID X in Western Illinois

OP
anchellada

anchellada

Reaction score
this was the first time ive had problems with phones from ebay :/

i tried a factory reset and went into the verizon store. nothing.

xan

Reaction score
what happened when you did the factory reset? did flashing fail or did it get to post flash activation then fail or ...?

OP
anchellada

anchellada

Reaction score
what happened when you did the factory reset? did flashing fail or did it get to post flash activation then fail or ...?

it reset normally and went to the activation screen but still wouldnt let me dial out to activate the phone.

xan

Reaction score
How many signal strength bars are there?

OP
anchellada

anchellada

Reaction score
How many signal strength bars are there?

zero. thats what i couldnt figure out. its something with the dialer. i tried going into the app and reseting it, but nothing there either.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Surely if you went to a VZW corporate store they would have told you something? Did you call VZW support at 800-922-0204 from another phone? If you can get your money back or file a PayPal dispute that's your best option at this point.

skennelly

Reaction score
After the reset, start at the top left corner of the screen and touch each corner going clockwise instead of touching the android to begin setup. This should bypass the setup. Once this happens dial *228 and see if that let's you activate service.

The other option would be to sbf and try again.

OP
anchellada

anchellada

Reaction score

Surely if you went to a VZW corporate store they would have told you something? Did you call VZW support at 800-922-0204 from another phone? If you can get your money back or file a PayPal dispute that's your best option at this point.

when i went to the store they were just kinda like "hurr durrrr idk we dont know why it wont work. but its not our fault since we didnt sell you this phone blah blah email whoever you bought it from or try again in a few days." not helpful at all. so i emailed the ebay guy and they basically said it was tested before they sent it and it was fine. which i highly doubt because the description said they would test it and get this glue spot off the back before they sent it out, but when i got it the glue was still there and was definitely never touched because i could just scratch it off... not like it was difficult.
but anyway the ebay guy said i could send it back and they would refund me. so i emailed him back and basically said ok, im gonna send it back and thennn he told me to email him when it says my package was delivered so they can have it the phone checked and resend another one.... which kind of confused me. they went from refund to fixing/replacing the phone?
SO nowwwwwwww its in the mail and im going to email him once it gets there. i guess its fine if they try to give me another phone as long as its in just as good of condition as the last one was. if not, they better refund me or else im filing a claim to ebay.

OP
anchellada

anchellada

Reaction score
After the reset, start at the top left corner of the screen and touch each corner going clockwise instead of touching the android to begin setup. This should bypass the setup. Once this happens dial *228 and see if that let's you activate service.

The other option would be to sbf and try again.

I tried bypassing the setup, still no bars and wouldnt let me dial out.

skennelly

Reaction score
You could call vzw tech support. They could activate it over the air.

Sent from my DROIDX