Cracked screen, question and discusion

Picasso71

Reaction score
well, I'm a dummy and managed to crack my screen across the width (I don't even know when/how). It's not too bad...in fact you have to kinda hold it at the proper angle to even notice that it is there...but it is. :crying:
Anywho, I'm sure it will eventually spider out and get worse, at which time I'll have to use my insurance (which makes me sad becuase when its knew contract time they pay you for the phone if you havent sent in for a new one, this time being $175)
At any rate...
Out of curiosity I did call the only place in town I know of that fixes cell phones, and they wanted $228, which seems really high, considering this video:[video=youtube;_70-W9JjVjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70-W9JjVjg[/video]

It says the replacement part is only around $20. This how-to video also only lasts about 30 minutes, which presumably would mean that is how long it takes to do it, and, if one does the math, that means this store is charging approximately $400/hour in labor. The discussion part of this would be, is that going rate for everyone in their area? If so, doesn't that seem ludicrous?

The question part would be is if anyone has actually done this repair....if so, is it all there and correct...and, if so, should I consider giving it a try before using my insurance (which also cost me $50)

GoBears

Reaction score
Ok without watching the video here goes. For that price the person is going to be separating the glass from the LCD. These pieces are fused together. This is extremely difficult especially for a novice. You will more than likely damage the lcd in the process. The glass/digitizer is fused to the lcd with pretty aggressive adhesive. I've done two of these but not yet on the S3. It's very time consuming and requires a lot of heat and patience to separate. Not to mention you have to try and save all the double sided tape along the bezels for the new screen to properly adhere and not allow dust underneath. It's certainly not impossible but it's not a repair to take lightly. You sound like you haven't ever attempted a fused screen repair. Personally I'd make the insurance claim or I'd sell it as is for a decent penny then add a few bucks and buy another used one off CL. Good luck with whatever you decide.

As always
GOBEARS!

OP
P

Picasso71

Reaction score
Ok without watching the video here goes. For that price the person is going to be separating the glass from the LCD. These pieces are fused together. This is extremely difficult especially for a novice. You will more than likely damage the lcd in the process. The glass/digitizer is fused to the lcd with pretty aggressive adhesive. I've done two of these but not yet on the S3. It's very time consuming and requires a lot of heat and patience to separate. Not to mention you have to try and save all the double sided tape along the bezels for the new screen to properly adhere and not allow dust underneath. It's certainly not impossible but it's not a repair to take lightly. You sound like you haven't ever attempted a fused screen repair. Personally I'd make the insurance claim or I'd sell it as is for a decent penny then add a few bucks and buy another used one off CL. Good luck with whatever you decide.

As always
GOBEARS!

So what do you think I could sell mine for? And much for a "like new" used one....and what is CL?
Also, is it possible just to buy a whole new front half of the cell phone instead?

GoBears

Reaction score
Sorry about that. CL is CraigsList. I've seen S3's for Verizon going for 300. Depending on your area and the severity of the crack you might grab 200-250 if crack is very small. If you wait till its nasty and shattered looking well adjust price accordingly. Never hurts to list it and see what offers you get. I don't mean to deter you from attempting the repair, I'm just warning how hard it can be to separate a fused lcd/glass/digitizer unit. Yes you can buy the lcd/glass/digitizer as a unit but it's pretty pricey from what I've seen. Like in the 150-200 range on ebay. For that kind of cabbage you can buy a bad esn S3 and have a whole parts phone minus the motherboard.

OP
P

Picasso71

Reaction score
hehe
well, to be honest I've never done any phone repair. So it's probably waaaaaaaaay over my head
looks like I'm off to do some reasearch
Honestly really would like that organe/amber color s3

S

shooting

attention

It needs technical skills to repair it yourself. You have to make sure you can do it yourself before purchasing the replacement parts.