Cracked Screen!

OP
M

mkellypc

Reaction score
Sorry to leave yoh all hangin but no news to report as of yet. Talked to a store manager today who said his hands were tied but agreed something shojld be done. Said he would contact his regional manager and call me tomorrow.
Fingers crossed!
And about insurance...I assume since I was already denied that I am now not eligable at all on this device.

kparks

Reaction score
I saw in our Mall a place that sells cell phone cases called Cellaris and they fix cracked screens. $129 for iphone and $149 for all other phones.

https://www.cellairis.com/

$150 to fix a screen are they on crack?? Ive replaced a droid inc screen had no idea what i was doing watched a how to on youtube and it was a piece of cake and took about 20min..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

phillyphill39

Reaction score
Insurance provides a new replacement of the phone. There is no such thing as insurance that replaces items with used (or factory refurbished) products that I know of. If they did the run the added insurance claims.since there's a chance the refurb may also fail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

asurion sends out refurbs too. They will tell you if its new or not. They've been doing this for a long time. You're not guaranteed a new phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
$150 to fix a screen are they on crack?? Ive replaced a droid inc screen had no idea what i was doing watched a how to on youtube and it was a piece of cake and took about 20min..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
I shouldn't have to mention this, but the difficulty in replacing screens varies from one device to another. I had to replace my Thunderbolt screen a few months ago without any knowledge, and while I could probably do it much better now, back then I did more damage than I should have. I also followed a youtube tutorial but until you do it yourself, you don't realize how easy it is to damage some of the parts. I had to buy a new LCD screen because I somehow damaged it when removing it from the phone + the digitizer which was about $60. I had to order 3 digitizers because a couple of them didn't respond to touch in some areas. Of course I got a refund on them, but I probably spent more time waiting for them to be sent back and to get a replacement than I should have.

To each their own, it is definitely cheaper to buy the screen yourself and TRY to fix it, but know that it is easy to screw it up and end up spending more money than you expected.

OP
M

mkellypc

Reaction score
Well final word from verizon is send in and $300 for replacement. Said their hands were tied by manufacturers strict guidlines. Warehouse has only say and ALL damaged screens are considered customer abuse.
Called Samsung and their policy is the same. However they will replace the screen for $160 with a 2 week turn around time door to door.
This seems like my best option given screens aren't available yet and will still have 1 yr warranty.
Thanks for all the input.

GenieAngel

Reaction score
Wow, my condolences, that's crazy that they are charging you $300 (or $160 for new screen) + having to wait TWO WEEKS! to get it back! :blink:

I thought I was unlucky having my first one not being able to finish booting up and the second one not even turning on!

I would purchase insurance on the new one, perhaps the one in Best Buy which I think is cheaper.

OP
M

mkellypc

Reaction score
Received my Nexus back from Samsung yesterday. $167.50 to replace the screen and shipping. Now a month after original purchase I can start to use my phone. What a nightmare this has been!:mad:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ouch, I got insurance this time because I didn't plan on using a case. Still will cost $100 to get a replacement and it'll be a refurb, what a scam all this is.

I had a very minor screen defect where a group of pixels was just a shade darker than others, it bothered me a little and they were going to let me swap it out but they tried to give me a "new" phone with what looked like a broken volume button. The manager refused to open another new box because he said this one was new, I tried to point out that "new" doesn't mean "not broken".

I kept my working Nexus with the minor screen defect, it's barely noticeable and I didn't want a broken volume rocker from a dick manager.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Received my Nexus back from Samsung yesterday. $167.50 to replace the screen and shipping. Now a month after original purchase I can start to use my phone. What a nightmare this has been!:mad:

Welcome back to the Nexus Galaxy! Be careful not to break your temporal displacement unit, or you may not be able to return to your own space time continuum.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is a serious question and not meant to be funny or critical. How do people drop their phones so easily? I've had simple phones for 10 years and a smartphone for just over 2 years. I have never dropped any of them, even once. (Yes, I know, I'll probably drop my new Inc2 tomorrow.) My wife has had phones for the same amount of time. She never dropped her Ally that she had for 16 months, but did drop her VX8300 a couple of times. I've also had many cameras over 40 years and have never dropped one of those either. What do you do that causes you to drop your phone, camera, whatever? I saw a woman in the Target checkout line a couple of days ago drop her phone. She was trying to text while trying to hold an armful of stuff to buy.
Dropping a phone is an accident, and no one knows when that's going to happen. Sure some of us put ourselves in better positions to drop our phones, but it's not like we mean to...well I don't anyway. Take that woman who dropped her phone in Target for example, could she have waited to avoid dropping her phone? I think she could've, but maybe it was an urgent message, who knows? We all take care of our devices differently and though I baby mine, I admit to dropping my phone once or twice. Accidents happen :)

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Whoa whoa whoa here. I had that exact same crack that the XDA forum post managed to photo. I could only see it at a sharp angle with screen off and ambient light. Otherwise it looked perfect. Took it to Verizon Corporate store and was fortunate to receive a new replacement. The first person couldn't see it and tried to say it was abuse even though he couldn't see any damage. The next person saw it and just replaced it.
Thanks Sara!

maybememe

Reaction score
My GN screen hair line cracked mysteriously.
[video=youtube;7rkz36Q-xZY]http://youtu.be/7rkz36Q-xZY[/video]

Others have no idea how it’s happened to their phones as well!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1425382

Maybe it’s the new fortified glass design that’s flawed?
Maybe it’s weather related, from indoor to cold outdoors?
Maybe it’s just a bad design overall?

I just want to warn others of it’s extreme fragility.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
asurion sends out refurbs too. They will tell you if its new or not. They've been doing this for a long time. You're not guaranteed a new phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Damn, that sucks. I'd check the contract and see if it actually allows for refurbished units as replacement. If not, I'd stand my ground that they must replace with a new unit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums