Cracked screen

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
So I know this isn't a tech issue, but I felt that this forum would be the best place to post this. There are a few questions, so you'll have to bear with me while I give the background info and ask the questions.

So the other night I made the huge mistake of laying on my phone a little to hard. It resulted in a crack that runs from the top to the bottom of the screen. This mistake was unfortunately the predecessor to another big mistake, not buying insurance. See, if I woulda gotten the insurance, this woulda never happened...murphys law and all that I guess.

At any rate, I looked into getting it replaced. I found a fairly respectable company that will sell the part+installation for ~$260. The part being ~$200, and the service being ~$60. I thought thats not too bad, but I'm pretty darn tech-savy, and I know I can do it myself so I went shopping for a little while longer. I found the OEM screen on ebay for ~$100, not a bad price at all, and doing the work myself I'd save a pretty substantial amount of money.

So heres the big question(s):
First of all, since I dont have insurance...I'm guessing that if I called verizon they would tell me where I can stick the phone, right?
Second, to my understanding the digitizer and the screen aren't the same unit. How difficult is it to seperate one from the other, is the phone tough to crack open? Also, my screen is totally functional and the crack is purely asthetic. Does that mean my digitizer is fine and totally in tact?
Also, are there any users out there who have gone through opening up the phone? If so PM me, I'd like to speak with some people who have been down this road before, before I decide to go down it myself.