Could T-Mobile finally become the reliable carrier that customers can count on

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I didn't elaborate that well, but you get the idea. They have the marketing budget, it seems they could crush T-Mobile with it if they wanted. Though they would probably never do anything that admitted other networks might have faster LTE. Though with AWS rolling out, maybe they're not faster anyway!

If TMo is faster it's only by virtue of fewer users on their network.

You're right, VZW could crush them (show a car breaking down on the highway - no service with TMo!)...but TMo hasn't exactly been hurting VZW, at all, with this latest push. And I doubt VZW views TMo as much of a threat until they prove they can actually retain some of these new customers.

Last edited:

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Standing in one spot is when I can roll with the big dogs but it's when I move that hurts me.

Sent from my Note 3 rockin Jelly Bean 4.3

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You're right, VZW could crush them (show a car breaking down on the highway - no service with TMo!)...but TMo hasn't exactly been hurting VZW, at all, with this latest push. And I doubt VZW views TMo as much of a threat until they prove they can actually retain some of these new customers.

Alltel didn't hurt them at all either.... or so they thought. Only Verizon assimilating Alltel stopped the death by paper cuts that was happening to Verizon

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMHO, Verizon needs to just start a marketing campaign similar to the "can you hear me now" one - i.e. something showing exactly why we pay for them and how their coverage is second to none. Maybe show some friends driving out to a rural camping spot, and one of them has AT&T or T-Mobile. In the car on the way out, he/she's bragging about how his/her LTE speeds are faster (though make it a focal point that it's not that much faster). Then when they get to the campsite, the AT&T/Tmo user has little to no signal of anything, and the verizon camper still has the exact same LTE signal.

I didn't elaborate that well, but you get the idea. They have the marketing budget, it seems they could crush T-Mobile with it if they wanted. Though they would probably never do anything that admitted other networks might have faster LTE. Though with AWS rolling out, maybe they're not faster anyway!

[video=youtube;XZ2BiY_kxOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ2BiY_kxOU[/video]

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
First, I applaud your view. People always get mad at me because when I drive I don't answer my phone, and being someone who's dad died on a car accident I can't tell you how much I agree with you.
Second. According to your signature you have an Impreza WRX/STi so you get extra points for that.

Personally I live on an area with good coverage so as soon as my contract ends I'm going with Tmo, the only thing I need to figure out is if they have calls/messaging to Mexico because I saw a monthly pre-paid plan on AT&T the other day with pretty much the same that I have on VZW but for half the price.

=D I wish I had a WRX or STI. But what I do have is a 2010 Legacy GT. I was going to get an STI but when i got my wife and both kids in one we just didn't fit. My daughter at the time was 5 and my son was 1 and a half. Too much extra kid equipment. The Legacy has the same power as a WRX but way more room. Though I still want an STI, I'm happy with my Legacy. Its a rare car to see, especially from the last generation. Subaru removed them from their lineup for the current generation and made very few for the last generation. <3 my Subaru!

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Tmo is not going after VZW yet they know VZW customers that are there now are loyal and mainly because they can not go anywhere else. Which of you on here with VZW is happy with new fees popping up almost yearly along with locked down phones, no nexus devices, and VZW testing that decides what features a phone should have, how it should look, and when it can be updated. If there was a network that was even close to being as reliable as VZW people would have been done left. Tmo is going after att mainly because they are an easier target. The free Sim card gimmick is not aimed at vzw because they know it will not work with VZW devices. But att devices use the same tech so they can pop the Sim in an att phone and take the network for a test drive. We will see tmo pick off att little by little with that.
Why Verizon is not worried, because they know that their customer base already know whose network is the best which is why their retainment rate is so high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can pop a Tmo sim in an AT&T phone - or is it the other way around... Maybe it's the other way around - i.e. not all frequencies are covered and therefore service is limited when going from one to the other. I've confused myself...!

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think you can pop a Tmo sim in an AT&T phone - or is it the other way around... Maybe it's the other way around - i.e. not all frequencies are covered and therefore service is limited when going from one to the other. I've confused myself...!

If you have a phone like the note 2 and you unlock it you can ;)

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Day 1 of this test ....wow is the word.

I put the Sim card in and was excited when I saw 3 bars of LTE sadly the excitement went down hill from there. Speeds were no where near what I would think should be considered LTE. It struggled to get above 3 mb/s down and 2 up. Now speed test app lately has been eh so so so I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt . Loading pages like droid-life, which is not a problem, seemed to struggle.

I also wanted to test customer service and how helpful the reps were and well it was really sub par in my opinion. It was like no matter who you talked to from the store to people on the phone all the way to management and there was no coordination at all. I would get answers that contradict the other all day add that to being put on hold twice for almost 20 mins a piece. And after 2.5 hrs I was still no where near getting any help.

So day one was a really bad start so bad that I could not leave the Tmobile Sim card in more than a hour as I have to be at work and I need to be able to rely on my coverage .

So score card right now day 1. Vzw and att 1 Tmobile 0.

Hopefully day two turn out better for pink. Because if all I had was one day to make a decision I would probably not step foot in a t mobile store again

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No matter how this test goes game plan is to get a nexus 5 (which been looking for an excuse to buy) and do some head to head side by side tests.

Caesars

Reaction score
Hopefully the lte speeds were just a fluke, I'm loving my tmobile here in Ohio ;), I'm going to add a line to my plan upon nexus 5 launch also.

Note 3 <Caesars>

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Day 1 of this test ....wow is the word.

I put the Sim card in and was excited when I saw 3 bars of LTE sadly the excitement went down hill from there. Speeds were no where near what I would think should be considered LTE. It struggled to get above 3 mb/s down and 2 up. Now speed test app lately has been eh so so so I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt . Loading pages like droid-life, which is not a problem, seemed to struggle.

I also wanted to test customer service and how helpful the reps were and well it was really sub par in my opinion. It was like no matter who you talked to from the store to people on the phone all the way to management and there was no coordination at all. I would get answers that contradict the other all day add that to being put on hold twice for almost 20 mins a piece. And after 2.5 hrs I was still no where near getting any help.

So day one was a really bad start so bad that I could not leave the Tmobile Sim card in more than a hour as I have to be at work and I need to be able to rely on my coverage .

So score card right now day 1. Vzw and att 1 Tmobile 0.

Hopefully day two turn out better for pink. Because if all I had was one day to make a decision I would probably not step foot in a t mobile store again

Being that I used to sell T-Mobile, I could have told you all of this ;-)
I will never, ever even consider T-Mobile again. I had them for 3 years and scrapped it for Verizon. Best decision I ever made. The customer service is horrid, coverage in my area leaves A LOT to be desired, I could go on and on.
As far as speedtest, try Coverage Map

Sent from my Droid Maxx