Consumer Reports on S3

tonylumps

Reaction score
CR just reported there test on the S3. It said the S3 is the Cats Meow when it comes to smart phones. It only got a little Nudge out by the Maxx because of the size of the Maxx battery.But Display,Phone,Camera,Speed,The S3 in general went to the top of the list.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Not surprised. My wife has it and while i do love my maxx, there are times i wish it was as fluid as her s3

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.

jerry12

Reaction score
I about half way want a S3 but i have a perfectly working Razr Maxx so i don't know why i am thinking about a S3 with all the software issues that i am hearing about.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
The s3 has nfc
The s3 had s voice, RAZR Maxx only has voice actions/search built in, have to download another app for that (i use the speaktoit assistant, pretty good)
S3 had s beam, sharing via nfc? To other Samsung devices
S3 had 2 gigs of ram, but honestly i haven't noticed hiccups on my drpid razr maxx
Samsung includes switchers in the notification pulldown, I've added that with widgetsoid on mine, but its a third party app.

That's just a few

jerry12

Reaction score
The s3 has nfc
The s3 had s voice, RAZR Maxx only has voice actions/search built in, have to download another app for that (i use the speaktoit assistant, pretty good)
S3 had s beam, sharing via nfc? To other Samsung devices
S3 had 2 gigs of ram, but honestly i haven't noticed hiccups on my drpid razr maxx
Samsung includes switchers in the notification pulldown, I've added that with widgetsoid on mine, but its a third party app.

That's just a few

Do you think it is worth the money to get it to replace the Maxx ? I love the battery life of the Maxx that would be hard to give up i am sure. I know the s3 has a larger and sharpper screen. I want to get away from Verison there service is not good where i live. :frown: I have a BlackBerry 9930 that has NFC and i am surprize that the Droid Razr and the Droid 4 doesn't have NFC ?

Last edited:

Bilgediver

Reaction score
One thing about ths S3 is that its popular enough to get battery cases that have extended batteries, or you can purchase spate batteries to begin with.

I wish Motorola would release the razr on other carriers (obviously can't use the droid name though) to make it popular enough for accessories like that.

As for you, i can't make that decision, that's up to you. What's best is if you can walk in a Verizon store and play with one yourself.

bjorn65

Reaction score
jerry12 said:
Do you think it is worth the money to get it to replace the Maxx ? I love the battery life of the Maxx that would be hard to give up i am sure. I know the s3 has a larger and sharpper screen. I want to get away from Verison there service is not good where i live. :frown: I have a BlackBerry 9930 that has NFC and i am surprize that the Droid Razr and the Droid 4 doesn't have NFC ?

No it is not worth the money with a RAZR Maxx vs S3. I had the RAZR which was great but horrible on battery life. I only got the S3 after losing the RAZR and insurance would not give me a new one. I So I got an upgrade for less than Maxx.

wcjeep

Reaction score
The S3 also has wifi direct. Sold my Nexus. With and I both happy with the S3.

OP
T

tonylumps

Reaction score
The only 2 phones I was interested in were the Maxx and the S3.Again battery was the issue.After 15 days of trial The battery was not an issue any longer. I have had it for almost 2 Months and still not. I came from the original Droid Moto and liked it. If Verizon did not have the S3 in the store. Would have walked out with the Maxx

TatDroid

Reaction score
The S3 also has the screen stay feature: the front camera looks at your face, and if your eyes are looking at the screen it will not shut off. Pretty cool.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Both are great devices, I wouldn't consider one to the other an "Upgrade". I got an S3 when my second Maxx started acting up. I now have both a Maxx and an S3. If it wasn't such a PIA to bounce back and forth I'd carry whichever one matched my shoes :icon_eek:
I have been carrying the S3 for several weeks now. Battery life is great, phone is fluid smooth and fast. Love the screen and the camera.
I have an OtterBox on the Maxx but a slim Insignio on the S3 which does a good job while staying light and slim.

One observation I have about the S3 is that it does not "show" the signal strength and other indicators that the Maxx might show in the same scenario yet - the device just "Works".

That's what counts.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
jerry12 said:
I about half way want a S3 but i have a perfectly working Razr Maxx so i don't know why i am thinking about a S3 with all the software issues that i am hearing about.

My S3 is flawless.