Galaxy S3 Tips and Tricks

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
This thread is an ongoing collection of tips and tricks for the Galaxy S3. If you have any you'd like to share, please post them in this thread (or PM me a link to a post that has a good tip or trick), and I'll update this post accordingly.

Data Connections
USB
  • Problems connecting to a PC via USB? Try downloading the USB driver directly from Samsung. (Discussion thread here) (thanks kaylesworth)
  • Want to connect your S3 to a TV or other display via HMDI? You'll need a MHL adapter for that. The S3 requires a special MHL adapter that has 11 pins instead of the usual 5. When purchasing an adapter, make sure it directly states that it works with the S3. Alternatively, if you already have a 5-pin MHL adapter, you can buy an adapter tip that will convert the MHL adapter to 11-pins (MHL/HDMI discussion here)
Photo/Video
  • Can't take a picture while recording video? Make sure that "Anti-Shake" is turned off in the settings (which are accessed by tapping the cog icon in the camera app). If it's turned on, you won't be able to take still shots while recording video. This only applies to the anti-shake option in the settings for recording video (the anti-shake option in the settings for the still camera can be left on). (thanks Rageboardr)
Miscellaneous
  • Take a screenshot: Simultaneously press and hold down the power and home buttons for about two seconds, or swipe your palm across the screen (enable this method at Settings -> Motion -> Palm swipe to capture)
  • While on one of your homescreens, hold down the capacitive menu button (the one to the left of the home button) for a couple seconds to quickly bring up the Google Search app. (thanks k1ngr4t)
  • Want to change your system font without root? Go to Settings -> Display -> Font Style. There are four pre-installed system fonts. You can also download other compatible fonts from the Play store. The Fontomizer SP(Font for Galaxy) app will provide you with links to a handful of free fonts that can be downloaded outside the Play store.
  • Placing owner information (or a personal message) on the lock screen. (thanks LadyPhoenix)
  • Manage emergency alerts: Messaging -> Menu -> Settings -> Emergency alert. All alerts (except for Presidential Alerts) can be turned off.
Tutorials
[video=youtube;mGOMXdGah34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGOMXdGah34[/video]​

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Tip for taking picture while shooting video. You must turn off anti-shake in order to take pictures at the same time as video. Don't know why, but it is. Took me a while to figure this out so i hope it helps someone else.

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Tip for taking picture while shooting video. You must turn off anti-shake in order to take pictures at the same time as video. Don't know why, but it is. Took me a while to figure this out so i hope it helps someone else.

I'm sure it's something that several people will find useful. Added to the original post. :)

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Nice video..how did he change the font of his menus?

Go to Settings -> Display -> Font Style. There are four different pre-installed fonts. There's also a button there to look for more fonts in the Play Store. As long as the font application is compatible with the S3 (many of them say they're compatible with the Galaxy series), it should install and allow you to choose that font from the Font Style menu. The Fontomizer SP(Font for Galaxy) app will provide you with links to a handful of free fonts that can be downloaded outside the Play store.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Holding the menu button on one of the main pages brings up a Google/app search bar, very useful if you're coming from a Motorola phone.

Thomas7797

Reaction score
I believe the truth New new samsung presented it with this cell phone. I really like how impressive and simple to use that it is. I've had it per month now and I keep discovering a variety of new factors with it.
Great idea here. Galaxy S3 is very wonderful mobile.

Buy social bookmarks and directory submissions

farfromu626

Reaction score
Tips for HDMI?

I bought the certified HDMI out by samsung but my NFL Mobile app, as well as some others deactivate when I plug it in. "error, HDMI out is connected" ... anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

ghammers12

Reaction score
Samsung galaxy S3:-Awesome phone with great features..Excellent resolution,great photography experience and pretty fast..
In short, a good competition for apple. I recently bought it and i didn't know this features of it...
Thanks for the tips and tricks..:happy3:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Welcome! This is the first smartphone I've ever had where I didn't have that "urge" to upgrade, even though the phone worked great. I don't think I'll have any trouble waiting until my 2 year upgrade is available. 1 1/2 years left, still feels and runs like I just got it.

ktmoore

Reaction score
I agree with you guys! Had my S3 since last Sept 2012 and still love it like I did when I first got it! In fact, I love it more as I discover new features and use features I knew about but hadn't used yet. This Forum is a good resource for tips and ideas on how to get the most out of it.

onestepshort

Reaction score
Even though the S4 came out shortly after I got my S3 it's still a great phone. Thanks for the tips. I actually was an iOS guy before I got my S3 and I'm in love.

cindylike24

Reaction score
Even though the S4 came out shortly after I got my S3 it's still a great phone. Thanks for the tips. I actually was an iOS guy before I got my S3 and I'm in love.

I went from a Droid Bionic to the S3 this week and I absolutely love this phone! The only difference that I see with this phone is the 4.2 OS, the screen is a wee bit bigger on the S4, and the phone was $100 cheaper than the S4. The dimensions on both Samsung phones are the same to me. This is more like my Tab 2 7" tablet. One thing I love about Samsung products is how clear the screens are for me.

summair

Reaction score
plz

ihave s3 in it some wallpapers are working fine but in some wallpapers when i change settings of live wallpaper it says it stopped working what is this?