Consumer Product Safety Commission: Stop using the Galaxy Note 7

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
q:100

The CPSC [U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission] published a statement on its website, "urging all consumers who own a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 to power them down and stop charging or using the device." Samsung has confirmed it's working with the agency, and has updated its plans for the US recall. Now, the ability to swap a Galaxy Note 7 for a new one is "pending CPSC approval," although the company says retailers and carriers may be able to provide a different loaner device in the meantime.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I saw this on the news (Fox network) as well. This is a SERIOUS recommendation that ALL owners of this phone cease to charge it, and even to turn it off completely. Go to your nearest Samsung dealer (i.e. Verizon, AT&T, Best Buy, etc.), where you bought it and get it replaced. You may be eligible for a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge to use while waiting for replacement phone stock is being replenished. Once new Note 7s are available, they will exchange it again for free.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Wow. As much praise as the device received this is really bad. I'm not a fan of their android skin and all, but I actually feel for Sammy.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I agree, but you have got to give Samsung MAJOR Kudos for getting out in front of this and attacking it face first. Other manufacturers can take a lesson from this.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Verizon is not offering loaner phone's as of today. Have called a couple times since this was reported. But Sprint, AT&T are offering loaners and T-Mobile is I think but not sure.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I got no choice!!! I use Notes phones especially the S-Pen for work. My store and those around me do not have any Note 4's right now. I can not buy one out right right now. They are trying to push me into an S7 which is unacceptable! I have work on MicroSD so I can Not go to Note 5. Verizon will consider both the Note 5 and the S7 as upgrades from the Note 4. After 14 days I will be stuck with phones that I could not use and within the 14 days there will be a restocking fee. So I am stuck waiting for an Note 7 to replace my Note 7 unless a Note 4 becomes available and I get my upgrade back!!! Verizon Loophole strikes again!!!

Last edited:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I agree, but you have got to give Samsung MAJOR Kudos for getting out in front of this and attacking it face first. Other manufacturers can take a lesson from this.

I'm too much of a cynic. In a different lifetime I tested aviation flight components, and I learned one thing. The decision for a company to actively issue a recall consists of the following checklist:

1) How much will it cost to recall and refurbish the defective devices?

2) Calculate how much would it cost to leave the defective devices in the wild and reimburse people on a case-by-case basis?

3) Perform the cheaper task.

A company doesn't recall JACK out of the kindness of their heart, they are in a situation where they're at risk of losing their shirts because of the batteries. They know they have to get them off the street, pronto.
It's surprising that a company like Samsung messed up so badly. Samsung phones are de facto gold standard Android devices to most average consumers, and now Android looks even more inferior to the high holy iPhone. In the words of my VERY non-tech savvy wife, "Why don't you just get the new iPhone?" I rolled my eyes so hard I pulled a muscle.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm too much of a cynic. In a different lifetime I tested aviation flight components, and I learned one thing. The decision for a company to actively issue a recall consists of the following checklist:

1) How much will it cost to recall and refurbish the defective devices?

2) Calculate how much would it cost to leave the defective devices in the wild and reimburse people on a case-by-case basis?

3) Perform the cheaper task.

A company doesn't recall JACK out of the kindness of their heart, they are in a situation where they're at risk of losing their shirts because of the batteries. They know they have to get them off the street, pronto.
It's surprising that a company like Samsung messed up so badly. Samsung phones are de facto gold standard Android devices to most average consumers, and now Android looks even more inferior to the high holy iPhone. In the words of my VERY non-tech savvy wife, "Why don't you just get the new iPhone?" I rolled my eyes so hard I pulled a muscle.
Oh don't get me wrong. I have no doubt this decision was damage control first and foremost, that it was meant to preserve company assets and profits, that it was meant to preserve stock value. Still there are other companies who have run into similar situations and even when the number crunchers said recall, they opted to delay, ultimately suffering greater loses and putting consumers at greater danger and even resulting in unnecessary injuries and death. This is what I meant by getting in front of it quickly and why they deserve kudos.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I wonder if this will make the manufacturers rethink about having a sealed battery.

If the battery could be easily swapped out all they would have on their hands is a Battery Exchange program instead of the whole phone.

This came back to bite them in the ass hard this time. I wonder if this will even be discussed by them.

realged13

Reaction score
If I kept my Droid Turbo, can I simply reactivate it and wait for Verizon to get the new models?

I want to make sure they I don't screw up getting a new one.

Amagine

Reaction score
Yes. Just swap the sim. Call the activation number and you're good. I've done this in the past when my local store had to ship me a new device due to mine being faulty and not having stock. Rode my old unit for a few days until the new one showed up.

Amagine

Reaction score
If you have a back up device, I wouldn't think twice on going backwards and the straight up returning it, having them void the payment plan and waiting until the fiasco clears.
The opportunist in me wonders if the 7s will be cheaper after the dust settles.