Considering upgrading from my Bionic

Just_AGuy

Reaction score
I am a long term Verizon customer. Must be about 15 years now. However, my Bionic is my last Verizon phone. Not because of how they and/or Motorola treats the Bionic. Not because it is taking forever to get ICS on the Bionic. Those are frustrations, but not show stoppers. Verizon does have a great network and a reasonably competent support system.

I've been a Verizon customer a long time too, years before it was Verizon (not quite bag phone but...). I have an unlimited plan too. Right now I have 3 line 2 have unlimited data the third does not. But what I'm going to do is buy an new phone unsubsidized. From what I've heard you can keep the unlimited that way.

rumblee1

Reaction score
That is correct. Pay full price, keep unlimited data. One thing a lot of people don't realize, you only get charged for data usage when you're on 3 or 4g not when you're on wifi. I thought I was a heavy user. Then I saw that one month I used only about a gig and a half. That's because when I was home, I was on wifi. Truthfully I've never gone over 2 gigs. That's what you've got to monitor before making the decision to upgrade.

Just_AGuy

Reaction score
That is correct. Pay full price, keep unlimited data. One thing a lot of people don't realize, you only get charged for data usage when you're on 3 or 4g not when you're on wifi. I thought I was a heavy user. Then I saw that one month I used only about a gig and a half. That's because when I was home, I was on wifi. Truthfully I've never gone over 2 gigs. That's what you've got to monitor before making the decision to upgrade.
I use the MyVerizon widget to show data usage and now with ICS you can track it too. I'm on Wi-Fi most of the time, all day at work and at home. I don't typical use more than a Gig of phone data. BUT there are times that I have extended data usage off of Wi-Fi, so I'd like to keep my unlimited plan. My wife however uses more data than I do because she is on Wi-Fi less than me. My daughter is on unlimited and is a heavy data user. When you go to a "family share" plan, that data adds up fast then you will find that the overage could cost a bundle.

Jumper2501

Reaction score
But what I'm going to do is buy an new phone unsubsidized. From what I've heard you can keep the unlimited that way.
Another option is to keep an eye on eBay or Craigslist. You may find a deal. I've gotten my last 4 or so phones that way. I'm not giving up my unlimited data, either.

Jumper2501

Reaction score
Of course there is always a risk of buying defective items on cl especially electronic items.
Very true. For a smartphone listed on CL, I'd recommend seeing if the seller is willing to meet at a Verizon store. Not only is it a public place, but you can both go in, the original owner can have the reps verify the phone's ESN is clear, and everyone can go home happy. I've done plenty of eBay, and only one CL purchase, but it worked for me.

rumblee1

Reaction score
I've read that moto will give you$100.00 towards a new moto phone if your current isn't getting jelly bean. Let's face it. Bionic will never see it. (they've had enough problems getting ice cream sandwich to work) Do any of you have further info on how this is going to work? I'm waiting for the RAZR maxx hd. That hundred would be a help at purchase time especially since I'm going to buy at full retail so I can keep my unlimited data.

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I think waiting for the Razr Maxx HD is a great idea. I bought my wife the Razr Maxx when it came out and it has been great; I'm excited to hear about the HD version.

While I'm asking for advice, can I hijack my own thread and ask opinions on tablets? I really loved the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, but it's time for new. Suggestions? I really think a 10.1" screen tabs are too unwieldy. I'm not a huge fan of the 7" tabs either.

I know it's a 7 inch, but the Nexus 7 is great. Give it a try, you might be surprised (i never thought I'd go for a 7 inch before the Nexus 7)

Sent from my ICS Bionic

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
I've read that moto will give you$100.00 towards a new moto phone if your current isn't getting jelly bean. Let's face it. Bionic will never see it. (they've had enough problems getting ice cream sandwich to work) Do any of you have further info on how this is going to work? I'm waiting for the RAZR maxx hd. That hundred would be a help at purchase time especially since I'm going to buy at full retail so I can keep my unlimited data.

While I'm also skeptical, don't discount our Jelly Bean chances. They very much want razr to get it, and the bionic is almost identical.

Also, it sounds like Google is fighting hard to improve our upgrade experience.

Sent from my ICS Bionic

jwilly216

Reaction score
rumblee1 said:

I was just wanting to ask the same thing but didn't feel like swype-ing all that. Thanks for the quote! I just got the s3 & asked the lady about this but she didn't even know it existed.besides,I could see them promising jelly bean just so that they wouldn't have to pay and we'd never get it but they'd keep saying it's coming soon until we just forget about it. Damn I just got a craving for some hooters hot wings

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Why would you think WiFi data would be monitored? Someone else is paying for that bandwidth.

I'm waiting for the Oct/Nov line up then this phone is going into the trash.

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
Why would you think WiFi data would be monitored? Someone else is paying for that bandwidth.

I'm waiting for the Oct/Nov line up then this phone is going into the trash.

He didn't say you need to, he said he didn't use as much because of wireless.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Droid.jpg
Bionic in vice test

rumblee1

Reaction score
People, I didn't say anything about data being monitored. I simply said, if you're on a wifi network, your time on that wifi network will not count against your data allowance. You use your data allowance only when on 3g or 4g.