Considering getting a droid/Ipod, need advice

Simplekin

Reaction score
I've tried to do as much research as possible, but sometimes it's better to do a Q&A. I hear the droid can do about anything, but Im wondering about a few certain things. I'm basically wanting an all in one device so I don't have to buy both an Ipod and a Cell phone.

An Ipod can plug directly into a car's stereo reciver and play music through it. Can the Droid do this?

I have 64 bit Windows 7. Can I just plug my Droid into my computer, copy my music and begin listening like an Ipod? Am I going to have to download any software to convert my Windows Media to be compatible with the Android OS?

Same question but with movies. Can I copy a couple movies onto my Droid from my PC and watch em on my long boring flight to wherever?

Same question with books. Can I D/L a book onto this thing? (not sure I really want to but...)

Thanks so much for any input. I'm hoping some of these answers will persuade me to purchase one. I may be back with more questions if I think of any. :)

coolkidd

Reaction score
An Ipod can plug directly into a car's stereo reciver and play music through it. Can the Droid do this?

What kind of plug do you use? If it is a normal stereo plug, then yes you can plug the Droid and play music through your car stereo

I have 64 bit Windows 7. Can I just plug my Droid into my computer, copy my music and begin listening like an Ipod? Am I going to have to download any software to convert my Windows Media to be compatible with the Android OS?

I am not sure with Windows 7 64-bit. I am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit and all I have to do is mount the phone and drag my mp3s on a music folder.

Same question but with movies. Can I copy a couple movies onto my Droid from my PC and watch em on my long boring flight to wherever?

Yes, you can do this.

Same question with books. Can I D/L a book onto this thing? (not sure I really want to but...)

I have never tried buying books yet on my Droid, however, I do have books in epub format and it works beautifully on Droid (Just go to market and DL Aldiko for free).

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes to everything. There is no need for an ipod if you have a droid. Unless you want the cool version of Assassins Creed, then you have to get the iTouch...

mitchell

Reaction score
I would be considered by most an Apple fanboy but being 100% honest the Droid is so much better than an ipod due to everything you can do on it. Get the Droid :)

KTG

Reaction score
how do I download music to my droid

I mount the droid to my computer but I do not see a folder to put the files

adam8ch

Reaction score
I mount the droid to my computer but I do not see a folder to put the files

just make a folder called music and put it in there. in fact you can put music in any folder and the droid will find it.

eclimax13

Reaction score
well if it helps at all...i replaced both an env3 and an ipod touch with the droid...sold both once i got this phone...but this couldnt replace my 30 gig ipod (regular) that i keep in my car at all times...other than that i wouldnt think twice about using it as an ipod/phone replacement

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
I've tried to do as much research as possible, but sometimes it's better to do a Q&A. I hear the droid can do about anything, but Im wondering about a few certain things...

The best question you could have asked is, "What kind of community and support can I expect?"

You've taken a look here--now take a look there--you should have your answer. ;)

- Mega

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Drag and drop with no 3rd party software.:icon_ banana:

I don't like iTunes or any 3rd party software, so i love it.

Pinshooter

Reaction score
I'm no genius, but I can handle a computer. I've had Palm, and Winmo devices, and they just never really rang my bell.... I was going to get an idon't after the first of the year because it has some apps that I want to use for long range marksmanship, and for work... those apps aren't available on the Android OS.

When I heard about the Droid about a month ago, I did some research on the web, and spoke to some supergeek at work. Today I took delivery of my Droid, and I am lovin' it! Easy to learn, and use. I wanted to dump the MP3 player, so I hooked up the droid to the PC, they said hello to each other and I dumped 4 gig of music on the young lady.... Dumped cold water on the two of them just as they were finishing up, punched up the music Icon and she found them all on her own. Started running RingDroid to make my own ringtones, and that was easy enough..... If this thing is this easy, and this good, I'll be dumping my Garmin on ebay next.... The map even shows what corner of the house I'm standing in. Do yourself a favor, get the Droid... even if the apps I want aren't available for Android yet, they will be soon enough. It's a Droid World !!!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Google's GPS Navi really does make my Garmin obsolete. I mean Turn-by-turn, earlier warnings of coming up turns, ETA with or without traffic. It's simply awesome

volando

Reaction score
Drag and drop with no 3rd party software.:icon_ banana:

I don't like iTunes or any 3rd party software, so i love it.

Seriously, what's wrong with people for actually thinking these clunky, confusing and limiting programs are actually better? what can be more simple than a drag and drop‽‽

What pisses me off the most is reviewers comparing DROID to iPhone and listing "lack of iTunes" as a negative point... lack of all that Apple DRM infested proprietey crap is pretty much #1 reason for a lot of people avoiding Apple products entirely!