Considering Droid, concerned about past Motorola flaw...

mmckelly

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm considering buying a droid, but once upon a time I swore I would never buy another Motorola phone. The reason? On my older phones, a v600 and a razr, there was no way to turn off the low battery notifications. On the v600, even when the phone was on vibrate, the low battery notification was an audio tone -- on the razr, when the phone was on vibrate OR silent, it would vibrate when the battery was low -- still really annoying.
How does the droid notify you of low battery? And how often?

Thanks.

windstrings

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm considering buying a droid, but once upon a time I swore I would never buy another Motorola phone. The reason? On my older phones, a v600 and a razr, there was no way to turn off the low battery notifications. On the v600, even when the phone was on vibrate, the low battery notification was an audio tone -- on the razr, when the phone was on vibrate OR silent, it would vibrate when the battery was low -- still really annoying.

Thanks.

That I don't know.. I"ve had mine down to 20% and no notices.

Sp3aK

Reaction score
The only notification that I know about is that at 15% when you turn your screen on the lock screen will say, "Connect To Charger" or something like that. I use the application called "Missed Call" which does have a low battery reminder that you can set (I personally like to know). I don't know if one comes "out of the box" though.

Droids

Reaction score
I plugged mine it this afternoon while it was at the lock screen and the screen said it was at 15% and charging. I never saw/heard/felt any notification prior to that. If there is a notification at 15% I probably just missed it. I've never seen any low battery notification.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
there are no native audible or vibe alerts for low battery on the Droid.

.....it's not a sissy who cry's out for juice. Just says " I'm out fool" and shuts off.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks.

Yep, I always hated that about Motorola phones. Fortunately the Droid doesn't do any of that nonsense. You get a (silent) notification that it's at 15% charged, another at 10% and another at 5%.

It's blessedly quiet.

LordKastle

Reaction score
I agree with your concerns. But in previous threads I have explained why the Droid has became Motorola's exception. How so?

Motorola was failing. They were in last place when it came to phones, especially in the smartphone field. They were far behind the likes of HTC, Samsung, etc.

They had their backs against the wall. They needed to come out with a device that could turn their fortunes around. Instead of releasing C-/D+ products, they needed to make a statement. They came out with the Droid and ironically, for us, it came at the best time. When a person or company has their backs against the wall...that is when they are most dangerous. It was do or die for Motorola and fortunately for us..we reap the rewards of a great phone.

It is not by chance or by coincidence that the quality of this phone is good and very strong.

Lafond

Reaction score
there are no native audible or vibe alerts for low battery on the Droid.

.....it's not a sissy who cry's out for juice. Just says " I'm out fool" and shuts off.

Yep. The notification LED on the front will blink red when you are around 5-10% I believe. Then you better hope you are by a charger because it doesn't have much life after that. Shuts down with little warning.

Can't pull a Kramer and see how far you can go on E...low battery really means a low battery.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you think about it... why would you want vibrate and audible notifications for a low battery on this device? It's already got a short battery life.... when it gets down to 15% or so 'vibrating' and 'notifying' would just eat away at the precious battery left.

Just a thought...

windstrings

Reaction score
If you think about it... why would you want vibrate and audible notifications for a low battery on this device? It's already got a short battery life.... when it gets down to 15% or so 'vibrating' and 'notifying' would just eat away at the precious battery left.

Just a thought...

Good thought, but sometimes you have to sacrifice a little to save allot.

By getting a warning, the user will choose to turn it off and only use when really needed or find a charger.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah sacrifice... LOL

Would be beneficial when it's sitting in my pocket to give me a quick "How do you do, I'm low on batt sir" so I can manage it.