Concerns about adopting Droid (at this point in time)

Lucidpsychosis

Reaction score
Well, I am due for an upgrade some time this month (I'm not exactly sure on the day), but I am VERY excited to be dropping my Blackberry Storm (avoid this phone at all costs).

So, I've decided to join the Droid party. I've been trying to decide between the Droid X and the Droid Incredible, and I'm still torn (so if you have any input one way or another, go for it), but I also have a couple of more concerns:

-It seems that Verizon is adopting LTE. The current phones don't support LTE, correct? What issues would that present?

-I know the Droid 2 is coming out this month, but I don't need to bother with a physical keyboard, so meh, BUT is there any word on other Droid phones releasing any time soon? A concern of mine is a lack of a front-facing camera on the current models. While I'd very much like one, I can live without a front-facing camera, but I wouldn't want to buy a phone now only for a new one with a front-facing camera to be released, oh, two months later.

-What's the deal on tethering? I've got a friend with a Droid Incredible that tried to explain it to me, but I'm still unclear on how it works.

Any help is appreciated!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. no phones on the verizon market support LTE right now. In fact there won't be any phones able to support LTE til next year, from what ive read.

2. not sure about any phones with a front-facing camera coming out, but you could always look that up.

3. tethering basically uses your phones 3g to allow access to the internet on a pc or laptop, etc. There's also wifi tethering that allows you to put your phone's wifi on and then you can tether through wifi to a device that has no wireless card, this uses wifi instead of 3g of course.

good luck on your choice and welcome to the board

Reaction score
Get the Droid x, I think its better than the X and since you don't care to wait for a physical keyboard, than the droid x IMO is the best phone for you.

Don't worry bout LTE, and if you want a front facing Camera, you can always wait for the rumored Droid PRO which would come out early next year or late this year....Front facing Camera 2GHZ processor so on and so on

OP
L

Lucidpsychosis

Reaction score
Get the Droid x, I think its better than the X and since you don't care to wait for a physical keyboard, than the droid x IMO is the best phone for you.

Don't worry bout LTE, and if you want a front facing Camera, you can always wait for the rumored Droid PRO which would come out early next year or late this year....Front facing Camera 2GHZ processor so on and so on

I think you misunderstood me: I don't care about the physical keyboard at all. I was just wondering if there were any other Droid phones coming out also. I've heard about the "Droid Pro," but considering it's nothing more than a rumor at this point, I'm not sure about waiting.

I like everything about the Droid X, but I've heard very good things about HTC (my friend likes what they add to Android and whatnot).

Googleaddict

Reaction score

I think you misunderstood me: I don't care about the physical keyboard at all. I was just wondering if there were any other Droid phones coming out also. I've heard about the "Droid Pro," but considering it's nothing more than a rumor at this point, I'm not sure about waiting.

I like everything about the Droid X, but I've heard very good things about HTC (my friend likes what they add to Android and whatnot).

I remember reading that a rep. or somebody who works at Motorola confirmed that a 2ghz phone would be out by the end of the year. So i think it's more than just a rumor. Even if it is a rumor, some crazy phones are coming out in December and January. I heard Verizon will have 4g phones as early as January.

OP
L

Lucidpsychosis

Reaction score

I remember reading that a rep. or somebody who works at Motorola confirmed that a 2ghz phone would be out by the end of the year. So i think it's more than just a rumor. Even if it is a rumor, some crazy phones are coming out in December and January. I heard Verizon will have 4g phones as early as January.

Hmmm. A 4g Droid, perhaps? Gah! I'd love to wait, and I would totally be game for waiting if I didn't have this piece of garbage Blackberry Storm.

Vbelisle

Reaction score

Hmmm. A 4g Droid, perhaps? Gah! I'd love to wait, and I would totally be game for waiting if I didn't have this piece of garbage Blackberry Storm.

Im in the same boat, I cant stand the storm at all so I ordered an x with a one year contract so if anything does come out I don't have to wait too long.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'd take an X over an Inc. The size wouldn't bother me and I'd like a larger screen than what I've got now on my original Droid. The X also comes with Swype (check it out on youtube).

anuraj1

Reaction score

Motorola's CEO, Sanjay Jha said that there would eventually be a 2Ghz phone on the market from them. So I'm not sure if it is a wise idea to hold your breath waiting for it.

LTE is rolling out in 30 cities by the end of this year, and the first LTE phone recently passed the FCC. Not sure when it will actually be put into production though, so your prediction for early next year is probably pretty accurate.

OP
L

Lucidpsychosis

Reaction score
I'd take an X over an Inc. The size wouldn't bother me and I'd like a larger screen than what I've got now on my original Droid. The X also comes with Swype (check it out on youtube).

Yeah, I like the larger screen size as well. I'm pretty much sold on the X; I was just thinking there might be something that the Inc. offers that the X does not. Okay.

So, my contract is up this month, I think, and I'm looking to upgrade. What would be the difference in doing a 1-year contract instead of a 2-year contract? That would probably be a good idea for me.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Yeah, I like the larger screen size as well. I'm pretty much sold on the X; I was just thinking there might be something that the Inc. offers that the X does not. Okay.

So, my contract is up this month, I think, and I'm looking to upgrade. What would be the difference in doing a 1-year contract instead of a 2-year contract? That would probably be a good idea for me.

You can find the prices on the verizonwireless site, but I just checked and it is only $70 more ($270 for 1 year vs. $200 for 2 years) for the X.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You can check and see what the price difference is.

If you always need the latest phone and tend to get the latest phone then the 1 year contract probably would be better for you.

I got my droid in November so I can't upgrade until next summer but I'm ok with that. The phone has been a blast and should continue to be so for a while yet still. No regrets here.

There always will be some cool new options coming out no matter what the length of your contract is.

brochaos

Reaction score
i would NOT sign up for a 2 year contract right now. if you are in a major city, chances are you WILL have LTE by november of this year. do you wanna be stuck without LTE for almost 2 full years?

i would just hold on to that storm, as much as that sucks, for a few more months. that way you will get front facing camera and LTE.