computers... who needs one of those?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Defiantly would not give up my MacBook Pro for the Droid. Even on its best day it can't compare to it. Yeah it has some nice capabilities but its no repacment.

Now if I had a PC yeah it would have no problem replacing it.
:r_c:

PC dualbooting Win7/Ubuntu is nothing to sneeze at fella

thats better then most PC users but i QUAD-boot my macbook with OSX, winblows 7, Linux Mint 8, and FreeBSD.

linux mint is a spinoff of ubuntu it actually uses the same kernel with some minor tweaking so its slightly faster and has a better UI.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Defiantly would not give up my MacBook Pro for the Droid. Even on its best day it can't compare to it. Yeah it has some nice capabilities but its no repacment.

thats better then most PC users but i QUAD-boot my macbook with OSX, winblows 7, Linux Mint 8, and FreeBSD.

linux mint is a spinoff of ubuntu it actually uses the same kernel with some minor tweaking so its slightly faster and has a better UI.

yeah. i wanted a Mac so i could triple-boot (OSX,Linux, Windows). but couldn't find it in my heart of hearts to spend $600ish extra just for that.

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
My laptop's keyboard fried a while back and I was snowed in for four days with no way to call in backup... so much for a warranty under those circumstances! I was surprised how little I missed while using the Droid, really... I even did recording/uploading to YouTube and it worked seamlessly. I'm happy to have the computer, as it has a bit more convenience and software in the right environment, but despite my addiction to technology and all things internet my life was perfectly the same for the week without a computer. Even Skype and AIM... it was kind of fun, great bonding experience. :heart::motdroidhoriz:

DarrellM5

Reaction score
One difference the Droid will make is that I won't be taking my laptop on motorcycle trips anymore. That's gonna free up a lot of valuable space.

OP
jasonb

jasonb

Reaction score
My PS3 and Droid are getting along famously. Good to know I can still add music to it. Can't do that on an iPhone. :)

spazma7ik

Reaction score

You sound embarrassingly childish. "Winblows"? Grow up.

wil318466

Reaction score
yeah, the trend is more and more people are accessing the net through their phones and portable devices. I believe it is projected to absolutely explode in the next 10 years.

That being said, I don't believe there is any replacement for a heavy duty computer and multiple screen monitor set-up. Having that power and speed in front of you just can't be replaced on a device that is the size of your hand. Reading CNN on one monitor, having a video on another and your email open on yet another monitor while downloading a DVD and listening to music is pretty hard to replicate. By the way, my setup at work is a 10 monitor setup with 2 telephones, crazy internet connection powered by 2 seperate computers. The Droid is nice, its not THAT nice thouhg. :)

But, I may be old-fashioned. heh. There will be a day when people who favor these type of setups will die out.. but thats what I was kind of raised on, and what I like.

Sniff.. I think I'm feeling old.

-Wil

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me guess you are a Trader.

I have a 4 monitor setup in a square where they all basically operate as one big monitor. One mouse one keyboard etc... from my trading days.

Also have a fairly powerful home built computer and a few phones and a headset etc..

You're correct that as of today no way a handheld device will replace that stuff..

Maybe in 5 to 10 years with projection tech, sound tech, etc will be WAY ahead of where we are.

yeah, the trend is more and more people are accessing the net through their phones and portable devices. I believe it is projected to absolutely explode in the next 10 years.

That being said, I don't believe there is any replacement for a heavy duty computer and multiple screen monitor set-up. Having that power and speed in front of you just can't be replaced on a device that is the size of your hand. Reading CNN on one monitor, having a video on another and your email open on yet another monitor while downloading a DVD and listening to music is pretty hard to replicate. By the way, my setup at work is a 10 monitor setup with 2 telephones, crazy internet connection powered by 2 seperate computers. The Droid is nice, its not THAT nice thouhg. :)

But, I may be old-fashioned. heh. There will be a day when people who favor these type of setups will die out.. but thats what I was kind of raised on, and what I like.

-Wil

wil318466

Reaction score

I have a 4 monitor setup in a square where they all basically operate as one big monitor. One mouse one keyboard etc... from my trading days.

Also have a fairly powerful home built computer and a few phones and a headset etc..

You're correct that as of today no way a handheld device will replace that stuff..

Maybe in 5 to 10 years with projection tech, sound tech, etc will be WAY ahead of where we are.

-Wil

Good guess. I'm in that industry. I would upload a picture.. its pretty sick looking, but I'm afraid I'll get in trouble. Yeah.... I have 10 monitors, 5 across on top of 5 across. the 4 on the left are run by 1 computer and the 6 other monitors on the right are run by another computer.

This, of course, has made me have a multiple monitor setup at home. Fortunately I don't play that many games any more, so I don't need the crazy hardware to run the most sophisticated graphics.

I guess when you stop playing games, you are officially old.

-Wil

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I traded from home for 10 years so that's why I have the setup.

And yes I don't really play games on it anymore. I am officially old...

I play far more games on my Droid.

-Wil

Good guess. I'm in that industry. I would upload a picture.. its pretty sick looking, but I'm afraid I'll get in trouble. Yeah.... I have 10 monitors, 5 across on top of 5 across. the 4 on the left are run by 1 computer and the 6 other monitors on the right are run by another computer.

This, of course, has made me have a multiple monitor setup at home. Fortunately I don't play that many games any more, so I don't need the crazy hardware to run the most sophisticated graphics.

I guess when you stop playing games, you are officially old.

-Wil

synthetek

Reaction score
I am using the PC much less now for things like checking email,facebook, twitter etc.. with the notifications I get things as the come in so when I get home I dont have to check them all on the PC. But I do still prefer to use the PC for sites where I read news and articles or pictures, but the droid has replaced it in many areas.

bacalao

Reaction score
Laptop is now used for school work and watching Hulu.
Droid does the rest for me!

Reaction score
I am browsing this thread on my mac much better then on the droid. But when i am on the go I leave the computer at home now that I have the droid.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
My laptop emailed me recently to tell me it was lonely.

I still use both. :)

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

You sound embarrassingly childish. "Winblows"? Grow up.

lol...... thats all i have to say