computers... who needs one of those?

jasonb

Reaction score
Am I the only one who feels a computer is a lot less necessary when you own a smartphone like the droid? My laptop just died tonight while trying to update itunes. It locked and then when I restarted it, it said disk read error and will not boot up. Lately though I was beginning to realize that all I really do on it is browse the web and stuff, and the droid does that just fine. So for now I am really not to concerned.

Anyone else feel the same way?

vonfink13

Reaction score
i love my droid and all but that 3.7in screen aint got nothin on my 27in imac screen i have at home....now on the other hand..give up my crappy pc at work..i might be able to do that...:icon_ goofy:

Motoman

Reaction score
Lol, even tho i just got my droid, i was thinkin the same thing, there rly isnt a reason for the comp but, well you kno hehe,

so i can say i wont use the comp as much

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
love my Asus notebook too much to give it up without a fight... but yes i use it far less now that i have my Droid

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
for basic web surfing, emails, and IM, yeah the computer seems useless. no sense in firing up the computer when your Droid is already booted up and ready to go. However, without the computer, we can't root the device, get our movies on the device, etc.

The two are like pb&j, go great together and alone each are only alright...

but really i'd take my computer over Droid, please don't ban me:redface:

OP
jasonb

jasonb

Reaction score
Well my computer just died and I really could care less. I can't load music onto it but I wasn't doing much of that to begin with. As long as I can do my online banking (which I can on the Droid) I'm all set. Actually I may still be able to transfer music from my PS3 to the Droid.

EDIT: I can transfer between my PS3 and the Droid. I just tried and it works great.

Last edited:

HeroNova

Reaction score
I wouldn't give up my computers anytime soon, but I have to be honest. I am sitting in front of my 27in iMac and I am browsing the web on my Droid. I guess it is an automatic response now.

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I was beginning to realize that all I really do on it is browse the web and stuff

Google has noticed that as well. That's the whole idea behind the operating system they're working on. It's just a web browser.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Defiantly would not give up my MacBook Pro for the Droid. Even on its best day it can't compare to it. Yeah it has some nice capabilities but its no repacment.

Now if I had a PC yeah it would have no problem replacing it.

Djanvk

Reaction score
I do find myself using my laptop less but I would not give it up any time soon. I can't program on the Droid. But I don't web surf as much on my laptop as much as I used to, or email.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Defiantly would not give up my MacBook Pro for the Droid. Even on its best day it can't compare to it. Yeah it has some nice capabilities but its no repacment.

Now if I had a PC yeah it would have no problem replacing it.
:r_c:

PC dualbooting Win7/Ubuntu is nothing to sneeze at fella

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The point that people are attempting to make is that the Droid is really the first true smartphone on the market.

The blackberry's are not. They are totally limited.

The IPhone is the anti-smartphone. It's meant for people who can't handle change.

The Droid is truly the first phone where you can treat it as a computer.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The point that people are attempting to make is that the Droid is really the first true smartphone on the market.

The blackberry's are not. They are totally limited.

The IPhone is the anti-smartphone. It's meant for people who can't handle change.

The Droid is truly the first phone where you can treat it as a computer.

haha, i like that line... so simple, yet so true

Last edited:

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for a week now and my laptop is feeling very neglected!
Yes, I still use my desktop just as much as I did pre-Droid but I have very little need to touch the lappy anymore.

Poor lil laptop... such a great 'puter and yet you've been replaced by something that fits in my pocket :p