thinking of getting a droid, need opinions

bacanmakesitbetter

Reaction score
I really like the look of the Droid, and how it seems you can download anythig you want on it without having to jailbreak it or something. But my buddies trying to convince me other wise. He also told me about this study: here

Where the droid's touchscreen did not do very well. My friend also told me that his iPhone was also already faster that the Droid. But he's a big Mac fan, and I'm going to be having this phone for two years so its very important to me, and I wanted to ask anyone who owns a Droid their opinion:
Do you ever have problems with the touchscreen being inaccurate?
How fast is the Droid? Will it slow down when browsing large pages?
And would you recommended it for someone who plans to mostly browse the web, use apps, facebook, but isn't to tech savy about android (this would be my first smartphone)
Thx

techiegrl

Reaction score
The great thing about Android phones is that they are very user friendly, while also being open source, which means that they can be customized in ways that other phones can't. I can't speak for the Motorola Droid, but the HTC Nexus One has a 1GHZ processor which makes it one of the fastest phones on the market. The Droid Eris is popular as well, while being only slightly slower than the Nexus One. Also, they have the function to associate a GMail account with the phones so that you don't lose any contacts and information you have saved on GMail, even after doing a hard reset.

arty2hottie

Reaction score
I really like the look of the Droid, and how it seems you can download anythig you want on it without having to jailbreak it or something. But my buddies trying to convince me other wise. He also told me about this study: here

Where the droid's touchscreen did not do very well. My friend also told me that his iPhone was also already faster that the Droid. But he's a big Mac fan, and I'm going to be having this phone for two years so its very important to me, and I wanted to ask anyone who owns a Droid their opinion:
And would you recommended it for someone who plans to mostly browse the web, use apps, facebook, but isn't to tech savy about android (this would be my first smartphone)
Thx

This is my first smart phone and I love it. I dont have any problems with the touch screen and its super fast, not to mention who cares how fast it is if the service doesnt work. I was in your same boat when I first got my droid. I have a itouch and was really debating and researching the droid and iphone. I have not been disappointed at all. I have not picked my itouch up since I got my droid. Go for it Im sure you will love it.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The touchscreen...I don't see any big problems with it after almost 5 months of daily use. Occasionally when webpage browsing it doesn't select what I want, but then again, you might have misfired your finger. The touchscreen isn't a problem at all.

As for speed, it's alright, has a 550 mhz processor. I'm not sure how it is on an iPhone, but scrolling home screens on a Droid won't be near as smooth/fast/snappy as an iPod Touch without overclocking the processor. The time it takes to open programs is decent. When browsing a site with many images to load such as this one in non mobile form, the browser will lag. iPhone's browser is much better.
Would I recommend it? Well, do you prefer a physical keyboard to type/text? If you do, then this phone definately beats out the Devour performance and hardware wise (although Devour has Motoblur, google that), and the Devour is the only other Android phone on Verizon with a keyboard. If you don't care for a physical keyboard, then I'd definately suggest waiting for the HTC Incredible, much better hardware wise (1 mhz processor, FM tuner,) and also comes with sense ui (google that). Incredible is rumored to come out within the next two weeks.

biteme

Reaction score
Love my Droid, it's the first smart phone I've owned and don't know how I got along without it. If speed is an issue, root and overclock it. I have, running 1200mhz (1.2 ghz) with no problems, wicked fast!!

Go for it, you won't be disappointed:icon_ banana:

superglen99

Reaction score
Love this Droid. The touchscreen works great too. My bro has an iphone can keeps saying he wants a Droid. My phone is rooted and OC to 1Ghz so speed is much faster than stock. for comparison droid is 550mhz and iphone 600mhz so not even a noticeable speed difference. Plus with droid you can multi task and run apps in the background, customize, add widgets. I phone cant. and of course service. Verizon FTW!

bananazx

Reaction score
I had used iPhone and iPhone 3G for three years and recently switched to Droid. I am very happy with it. Forget about the test your friend mentioned. I couldn't feel a difference on touchscreen.

modified

Reaction score
Great phone. I was deciding to go either iphone or droid as well. In the long run the droid wins. Better service (verizon), multitasking, and a gorgeous screen. Unfortunatly being an ipod touch user I noticed a little bit of an edge to the apple touchscreen over the droid counterpart. So if you are planning to game get an iphone. Lastly, keep in mind that the android community is growing everyday, so I would say the droid has a higher potential.

offconrad

Reaction score
If you enjoy your family, free time and job...DO NOT get an android phone. They are entirely too addictive and will take up all your free time...lol Love the Droid..best phone I ever had.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
+1 for disregarding that study.

Download "free hand note lite" and trace diamond patterns on a friend's phone or do it on a store demo. The store would be glad to help you get that app on the phone to test the responsiveness of the screen.

I can trace straight lines without a problem like this:
--------------
and they do not come out like this
~~~~~~~~~~

If you select the Droid as your next phone you won't be disappointed, but if you are that is what 30 day trial periods are for:)

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

Thx

Agree with everyones posting on here the droid is literally the best phone on the market and im not just saying that bc i hate mac products haha, i had windows mobile phones that come nowhere the ability of the droid. The droid has a great touch screen and if you search youtube you can find a video of how durable our screens actually are. does not slow down when browsing bigger pages and you can tether the droid unlike the iphone which you can only do if you jailbreak the iphone. Iphone people are like those little nats when you are at the beach that just wont go away, they always think they got the best and cant lay down when its time to just lay down, i know 5 people who have had the open mind and switched to vzw and droid from crap t&t and have loved their new phones (droids) with service (vzw) they can actually rely on. So yeah so say the least droid is the way to go and as stated earlier if you dont like it for some odd reason you have 30 days to return it with no fines.

those are just my 5 cents ;)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not at all. Tests don't always directly translate to real world usage despite what many people apparently think.

It sounds to me like you should really check one out in person to assess it's suitability for you.

OP
B

bacanmakesitbetter

Reaction score
Thx for the replies. I'm going to the verizon store this weekend to try one out, but ill probably end up buying one if I like it because I can always return it if I change my mind. I need a phone now so I can't be waiting for another to come out, and I really like the keyboard on the Droid. Pretty excited to be getting a smartphone: )