"Compass" Question

brnix

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Had a quick question about the free Compass app by Snaptic. I've noticed they've added a GPS coordinate fix to your location on the main compass screen. I was wondering how accurate this coordinate might be? I have to log GPS coordinates in the field quite often with my work. I would like to use this app but didn't know if it was as accurate as your typical handheld/auto GPS such as a Garmin Nuvi. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

vidjo

Reaction score
Try GPS Status app....tells you error in feet or meters.

OP
B

brnix

Reaction score
Thanks Vidjo! Downloading now. I suppose it didn't occur to me to search the market for such an app, lol. Have a good one!

mikie

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Had a quick question about the free Compass app by Snaptic. I've noticed they've added a GPS coordinate fix to your location on the main compass screen. I was wondering how accurate this coordinate might be? I have to log GPS coordinates in the field quite often with my work. I would like to use this app but didn't know if it was as accurate as your typical handheld/auto GPS such as a Garmin Nuvi. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

@brnix hi, i'm a developer at snaptic. the coordinates are as accurate as the quality of the gps signal. basically, if you're outside then the coordinates will be highly accurate (my droid has shown me the exact parking spot in google maps). my droid is also more accurate than my 3yr old tomtom, but it's getting pretty old now.

your use case for work sounds interesting. if you don't mind my asking, i'd love to hear more about how you use our compass app. either way, please let us know if you have any feature requests that would make the task easier for you (or any other feedback/problems).

regards,
mike

jeph

Reaction score
If you use the GPS Status app... what should the normal error be, does anyone have an idea?

Guchi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

@brnix hi, i'm a developer at snaptic. the coordinates are as accurate as the quality of the gps signal. basically, if you're outside then the coordinates will be highly accurate (my droid has shown me the exact parking spot in google maps). my droid is also more accurate than my 3yr old tomtom, but it's getting pretty old now.

your use case for work sounds interesting. if you don't mind my asking, i'd love to hear more about how you use our compass app. either way, please let us know if you have any feature requests that would make the task easier for you (or any other feedback/problems).

regards,
mike

it would be cool if you were given an estimated accuracy (like within 6m, 20m, exc)

Edit: ya post 100!!!