MotoDroid, Geocaching, C:Geo

rvnwlf

Reaction score
So rather then embarrass myself by asking what geocoaching is I googled it. So you're all playing high tech hide and go seek!

Have fun. :)

In a nut shell yes. It is a great way to become very familiar with a number of different areas. It's also great for getting yourself and kids away from the tv / video games. Spend some time outdoors like kids use to.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
where in az are you i live there also and my girlfriend is very interested in geocaching along with her dad

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Droid187

Reaction score
I geocache as well and use C:geo and geobeagle. Only reason I use geobeagle is for pocket queries which once you get serious into it you will want to become a premium member on geocaching.com. Geocaching.com doesnt like c:geo I guess because its not an "official app" though I think they just released the official app it sucks compared to c:geo. C:geo is the superior one and Ive found tons of caches with it, even ones where I didnt have cell signal. Althought it doesnt support pocket queries like geobeagle does the dev says on his site that hes working on it and the guy updates it regularly and responds to emails and gives support, not to mention c:geo is free. I also use gps status for my radar to give you that dot on the radar feel like you have spot on directions and my droid paired with these programs rival even the top tier gps recievers. Ive been caching with 10 yr old cachers that had their trusty gps handhelds and my droid was right there with em and most times faster especially since Im rooted and overclocked now. As long as you can get gps signals you are good. Its never failed me and Ive put it through its paces. Cant believe geocaching.coms officaly app they want 10 bucks for though but I guess if you want to support them go for it which I do but I cant see paying 10 bucks for a mediocre app at best when you can get C:geo and log your finds on the spot instead of having to upload and download. Pretty soon you should be able to just email your pocket queries or open up your PQ from the droid gmail app and just open the GPX file and have your pocket query open in C:geo. If the dev gets that done then C:geo will be the perfect all in one geocaching app ever trust me, it will be EVERYTHING you could possibly need not to mention its on a friggin phone. lol just brilliant.

Droid187

Reaction score
Wow... My wife and I are Geocachers. I never even gave a thought to Geocaching with my Droid. I have a TomTom GPS and it's worthless for Geocaching. Great for finding our way around strange towns.

Now I'll have to give my Droid a go at Geocaching, though I'm sure we'll forever prefer our Magellan Sport Trac Pro's.

Thanks for the heads up. :)
I think the only reason I would be more likely to use my garmin for geocaching is because I could drop it and both it and I would be ok afterwards. I would not react well to dropping my droid. lol

get a rugged case for it and a ziplock bag just in case your near water if youre that worried about it.:)

Dubbin1

Reaction score
I just bought cachemate the other day and LOVE it. I had it on my old palm pilot before I got the Droid. Very easy to use and has several options. I like the fact that I can do everything without the need for a computer now.

It puts geobeagle and C:geo to shame.

Dubbin1

Reaction score
Okay after playing with c:geo a bit more I am really starting to like this app. One thing about it though is that it violates the TOS of groundspeak (just learned that today). I think they are just jealous that their new POS app that they are selling for $10 cant match up to c:geo.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay after playing with c:geo a bit more I am really starting to like this app. One thing about it though is that it violates the TOS of groundspeak (just learned that today). I think they are just jealous that their new POS app that they are selling for $10 cant match up to c:geo.
It's because of c:geo on Android that I am now geocaching and loving it a lot. I have been learning a lot about the geocaching.com and their innerworkings. For example, if you haven't been a member forever and have a high post count, you can bet that you'll be slapped around in the forum. You best be a premium member too. I've found that GC.com is in it for one reason-to make money. They know c:geo is the best app out there, it's free, the author is innovative, and gc.com doesn't make any money off him....so, of course it's banned, you can't mention it's existence, or you will be threatened with a suspension on their forums. I got such a warning. GC.com rushed this android app along and charging $9.99 for a far inferior product.....the sheep over there are scarfing it up and buying it, and trying to justify their purchase. So, I like to put in my little digs over there occasionally, and when I post a cache that I found, I'm starting to mention I found it using c:geo for android.

Dubbin1

Reaction score
It's because of c:geo on Android that I am now geocaching and loving it a lot. I have been learning a lot about the geocaching.com and their innerworkings. For example, if you haven't been a member forever and have a high post count, you can bet that you'll be slapped around in the forum. You best be a premium member too. I've found that GC.com is in it for one reason-to make money. They know c:geo is the best app out there, it's free, the author is innovative, and gc.com doesn't make any money off him....so, of course it's banned, you can't mention it's existence, or you will be threatened with a suspension on their forums. I got such a warning. GC.com rushed this android app along and charging $9.99 for a far inferior product.....the sheep over there are scarfing it up and buying it, and trying to justify their purchase. So, I like to put in my little digs over there occasionally, and when I post a cache that I found, I'm starting to mention I found it using c:geo for android.

LOL I got an email from them because I let them know what I think about their precious POS app that costs $9.99 and doesn't work.

They claimed that they had over 100 beta testers before the release. I find that hard to believe considering all of the problems they are having with the app.

I still can't figure out why c:geo isn't allowed but yet geobeagle is. They both can pull the same info directly from the site.

I don't mind ground speak to be in it for the money but at least release working software before taking money from people. That's really my only complaint about the new app.

DavMot

Reaction score
km to miles

Looks pretty nice. I downloaded the app and registered with geocaching. I see there's a cache about 1 km from my place. Sure wish I could have the program convert it to miles instead of metric. Will try it out maybe on Sunday. Thanks for sharing and the nice review of C:Geo
Start up c:geo, then press the Menu button and choose Settings.
Click the option that says "use imperial units" This will be in feet and miles for you now.

tnx for the info, used your directions and lo and behold it worked for me!

brianes99

Reaction score
glad to see so many people using c:geo It is a very good app, and the guy just posted a facebook comment concerned that not as many people are using it now.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
glad to see so many people using c:geo It is a very good app, and the guy just posted a facebook comment concerned that not as many people are using it now.
Who posted a comment about not as many using what app? The c:geo guy is concerned? Believe me, once people get ticked off enough that the official groundspeak app is horrible and not worth $9.99 they'll be back. There's actually some people on their forum that think they'll be suspended if they use c:geo - come on now!!!!!!

I use the same screen name on geocaching.com and I've not been able to hide my true feelings about the official app vs c:geo and I was also sent a PM that I was going to be suspended if I mention c:geo anymore. They know darn well that it is a much better app and free, that's the main reason it can't even be mentioned over there.

Froglegsisme

Reaction score
Cachemate

I just bought cachemate the other day and LOVE it. I had it on my old palm pilot before I got the Droid. Very easy to use and has several options. I like the fact that I can do everything without the need for a computer now.

Dubbin, I used to use Cachemate on my palm; how does it work on your Droid and which Droid do you use? The Cachemate web site has a version for the Google Android, so I didn't consider it (yet) for my Droid2. Let me know! Thanks!

Dubbin1

Reaction score

Dubbin, I used to use Cachemate on my palm; how does it work on your Droid and which Droid do you use? The Cachemate web site has a version for the Google Android, so I didn't consider it (yet) for my Droid2. Let me know! Thanks!

I have a moto droid 1

Cachmate works pretty well on the droid. So well in fact that I will never pick up my palm again. Honestly if you don't care about keeping a personal log on your phone then c:geo is the way to go. I wasn't impressed with it at first but after using it I find it MUCH easier then cachemate. No more needing to run PQ's with c:geo is a big bonus.