MotoDroid, Geocaching, C:Geo

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I took my new droid out Geocaching today. Wow!

I was a bit frustrated to begin with because I turned GPS on and the cloud cover must have been screwing up my signal pretty bad. It was off by about 1 mile at first.

Then I went to use C:Geo (awesome app, I'll get into it later in this post) and it was pulling up caches "near me" in California (I'm in Arizona).

I then decided to reboot my phone and see if it helped - It did. After that, C:Geo was putting me at 7+- accuracy. My Garmin usually doesn't even get that accurate. It worked very well and we found 3 caches with it. It basically lead us right too them.

Now to C:Geo. If you are a Geocacher and don't have this app, go find it on the market. It is free, but they could have easily charged for it and it would be worth it.

You put your Geocaching.com login info into the settings and it interfaces with Geocaching.com directly. You can search for caches near your current position. You can view them in Google maps and its got a built in compass. Once a cache is found you can log your find directly from the app. Check it out!

MrTommy

Reaction score
Geocaching with the Droid

Wow... My wife and I are Geocachers. I never even gave a thought to Geocaching with my Droid. I have a TomTom GPS and it's worthless for Geocaching. Great for finding our way around strange towns.

Now I'll have to give my Droid a go at Geocaching, though I'm sure we'll forever prefer our Magellan Sport Trac Pro's.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty nice. I downloaded the app and registered with geocaching. I see there's a cache about 1 km from my place. Sure wish I could have the program convert it to miles instead of metric. Will try it out maybe on Sunday. Thanks for sharing and the nice review of C:Geo

MotoDroid

Reaction score
I love geocaching and have been using phones to geocache with for awhile. I used an I phone and loved the geocaching app that is available for it. When I got my Droid I was dissapointed that the geocaching.com app that I had on my iPhone wasnt available for android and have been using geo beagle. Good news tonight however! A geocaching buddy of mine says he is giving me a url to download a beta version of the geocaching.com app that is being developed for android! I'll update when he emails me the url.

masters

Reaction score
Been using the Droid for Geocaching for awile now.. C:Geo is relatively new and really good and there is GeoBeagle..

Supposedly Geocaching.com is working on their own..

re410

Reaction score
To switch to miles, go into settings and click on 'Use Imperial Units'.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Looks pretty nice. I downloaded the app and registered with geocaching. I see there's a cache about 1 km from my place. Sure wish I could have the program convert it to miles instead of metric. Will try it out maybe on Sunday. Thanks for sharing and the nice review of C:Geo
Start up c:geo, then press the Menu button and choose Settings.
Click the option that says "use imperial units" This will be in feet and miles for you now.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Wow... My wife and I are Geocachers. I never even gave a thought to Geocaching with my Droid. I have a TomTom GPS and it's worthless for Geocaching. Great for finding our way around strange towns.

Now I'll have to give my Droid a go at Geocaching, though I'm sure we'll forever prefer our Magellan Sport Trac Pro's.

Thanks for the heads up. :)
I think the only reason I would be more likely to use my garmin for geocaching is because I could drop it and both it and I would be ok afterwards. I would not react well to dropping my droid. lol

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
Yeah, this app is great. I found it about a week ago and I love it. I used to use GeoBeagle but this app is way better. It's awesome that it's free too.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Yeah, this app is great. I found it about a week ago and I love it. I used to use GeoBeagle but this app is way better. It's awesome that it's free too.
I didn't get along with GeoBeagle for the 5 minutes I tried it. Maybe its because at that point I had already tried c:geo?
And yes the FREE price tag is great. However, I'd have gladly paid for this one!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
C: Geo
chart

GeoBeagle

chart

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
I didn't get along with GeoBeagle for the 5 minutes I tried it. Maybe its because at that point I had already tried c:geo?
And yes the FREE price tag is great. However, I'd have gladly paid for this one!

Yeah, you aren't going to like GeoBeagle at all if you have tried c:geo. c:geo is way better. I actually found out about c:geo because GeoBeagle was acting up and wasn't working properly. I as well would've gladly paid for c:geo.

bristolcat

Reaction score
Tried c:geo for the first time this weekend after reading this forum thread. It was great! We had always wanted to try geocaching but didn't want to shell out for a handheld GPS. For the most part, the Droid/app led us straight to the cache (although we had some issues with snow cover). It was a little frustrating, however, that sometimes it would get confused and the GPS would be way off. I have been having trouble with my GPS accuracy lately, however, so I don't think I can blame the app. I was disappointed that the map feature in the app didn't work, however. That would have been incredibly helpful. I don't know if it's broken for everyone or just me. The experience was really, really fun though! We'll do it again for sure.