Clockwork Recovery Options Questions

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
I figured I would post this in Koush's forum being clockwork/rom manager go hand in hand.

There are a few options in clockwork recovery that I have not really a clue what they mean & or do.

In recovery in the "Install zip from sdcard menu there are these options:

"Wipe data/factory reset": if this is selected & ran, you would have to re-root again? correct?

What is & what does "toggle signature verification" do?

In the advanced menu:

"Wipe dalvic cache" what exactly is the dalvic cache & what does wiping it do?

"Wipe battery stats" what exactly does that mean & do?

"Key test" what exactly does that do?

Thanks for the help.

supersaki

Reaction score
I can try to answer a couple of these for you:

I figured I would post this in Koush's forum being clockwork/rom manager go hand in hand.

There are a few options in clockwork recovery that I have not really a clue what they mean & or do.

"Wipe data/factory reset": if this is selected & ran, you would have to re-root again? correct?

Nope. You just lose your personal information/apps data. It's like starting over with a clean ROM. FroYo will(should) restore the apps for you, but any settings (such as launcher shortcuts/widgets) will need to be redone. You do not lose root.

I'm guessing it checks if the ROM/.zip you are trying to install has been signed. If the signature doesn't pass, it won't install. Someone more knowledgable could probably explain it more in-depth.

In the advanced menu:

From xda (quote is from Cyanogen) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=519495

"Simple explanation:

When Android starts up, the DalvikVM looks thru all of your applications (.apk files) and frameworks, and builds a tree of dependencies. It uses this dependency tree to optimize the bytecode for every application and stores it in the Dalvik cache. The applications are then run using the optimized bytecode. This is why when you install a new ROM, sometimes it takes a very long time to boot for the first time. Any time an application (or framework library) changes, it's reoptimized and the cache is updated."

In Spare Parts & under Settings > About Phone, it can show what processes are using your battery the most. This will wipe out that information (it is usually reset when plugged into the charger or when it charges back to 100%, I'm not sure of which)

Good question

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

RobStemen

Reaction score

In the advanced menu:

Thanks for the help.

Key test is this. Every key or button on your phone has a designated number that allows the system to recognize what is pressed. This function is mostly, if not entirely made for devs. I wouldn't worry about it.