[GUIDE][HOW-TO] Clockwork Mod Recovery

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
I don't think I've seen one here, so here one is to help everyone out.

Credit - I got a lot of this from DroidXcon and everyone else@ Android Central.

No one is responsible if you mess up your phone!!

How to use CWM
How to wipe data
How to wipe cache
How to wipe dalvik cache
How to install a zip file (ROMs/Themes/Kernels)
How to Nandroid back up and restore
How to fix permissions
How to wipe battery stats
How to voodoo

FAQS

Q: What is ClockworkMod Recovery(aka CWM or clockwork)?
A: ClockworkMod Recovery is a custom recovery that allows you to install custom ROMs, themes, patches,applications and more.It can also be used to do many other fuctions which the most commonly used will be outlined in this tutorial. It was developed by Koushik Dutta. The mose recent versions have been modified by jt1134 over at the XDA forums to work with all versions of fascinate builds.

Q:I just downloaded Rom Manager from the market but clockworkmod recovery is not working?
A:At the moment the latest versions of clockworkmod recovery are orange with build numbers 3.x.x. Unfortunatley this can not be used because in order to install any flashable .zip file a script of code is required to direct the installation. At the moment almost everything written for fascinate has been written in a language called Amend. The most recent version 3.x.x only accepts a language called Edify, in previous versions of clockwork (anything under 3.x.x) were compatible with both Amend and Edify. There are also other limitations why Rom Manager can not be used but i dont understand them nor will i pretend i do, but honestly does it really matter? Lets just focus on what works. While the devs take care of finding a way to make it work.

Q: What is the best most recent version of clockworkmod?
A: Currently the latest and greatest version of clockworkmod is Red CWM ALL. There are instructions and downloads in post #2 of this thread.

Q: My clockwork is Red does this mean i have the latest, CWM ALL?
A: No, there is also CWM froyo which was the version just before all, you can not distinguish the 2 because both share the same version number. But the ways you can distingush them is this.
Red CWM ALL:when booting into recovery you directly enter red clockwork screen.
Red CWM froyo:when booting into recovery you first enter Stock blue recovery and need to apply sdcard:update.zip to enter into clockwork
Since Red cwm froyo doesnt have voodoo lagfix support you will see various errors when entering,these wont be see in Red CWM ALL version

Q: I have flashed a custom rom via Odin, Do i really need Clockwork?
A: Yes and no. When using Odin you are limited to what the designer of the package gives you, this is great for people who are beginning trying out different roms but in advanced situations you will want to try different themes, kernels, patches or roms, and unless someone makes a odin package for every combination you need Clockwork. Also clockwork can be used independently of a computer. Simply download what you want from your browser directly to your SD card , boot into clockwork and flash. No computer needed.

Q: Will i lose anything by installing Clockwork?
A: No, when flashing the kernel required to make clockwork possible it flashes to its own partition on the phone and does not touch anything that has to do with data or the OS.

Q: Do i need to root to install clockwork?
A: No, clockwork can be installed via odin and root is not required. If flashing it from Rom Manager yes root is required but as discussed earlier at the moment flashing from rom manager is not effective or recommended.

Q: Does having clockwork void my warranty?
A: As always , Yes and no. if you are caught then most likely but if you are at the point of flashing clockwork then you are savvy enough to use Odin to flash a stock rom and problem is solved.

Last edited:
OP
hecantbreathe

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
Installing with odin:
Download and intsall the Fascinate drivers found here - MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Download the ODIN file here - MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
Remove battery from phone.
Launch ODIN on PC.
Plug USB cable into phone.
Plug your Fascinate into the PC via USB cable.
Press and hold the volume-down key.
You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.
Click on the PDA button in ODIN. Do NOT click the Phone button.
Choose the file cwm-recovery-ALL.tar which can be downloaded here - http://www.mediafire.com/?06al8prkgj29gps
When all the above conditions have been met hit the Start button

Installing from older versions of clockwork only
Download CWM flashable zip here - http://www.mediafire.com/?jldavbbd2mna59l
Place on the root of your SD card
Boot into recovery
apply sdcard:update.zip
enter clockwork recovery
choose install zip from sd
choose cwm-recovery-ALL.zip
Reboot your phone
delete update.zip from root of SD card
aslo delete recovery-update.zip from clockworkmod folder

Entering clockwork recovery ALL
With the phone off press and hold Volume up+Volume down+Power button.
Samsung logo will flash twice, after the second one let go of the buttons.
This will lead you into clockwork.

Entering clockwork recovery from a custom ROM
If you are using a custom rom it is usually standard for a boot menu added.
You can get to it by holding down the power button for about 5seconds.

Stock Recovery
Volume up and down = Scroll up and down
Menu= Screen sleep
Home= Select

Red Clockwork
Volume up and down = Scroll up and down
Menu= Back / Screen sleep
Home= Screen sleep
Back= Select
Power= Select
Search= Back

Wiping Data:
This will erase all contacts apps and any other data on the phone
Wiping data is usually done before flashing a Rom.
Necessary when moving from build to build for example: Eclair to Froyo.
Not as necessary when moving from Rom to Rom within the same build.
Although not always necessary consider this as a solutions if wiping cache and dalvik cache when force close loops happen.

Boot to cwm
select wipe data/factory reset
select yes - - delete all user data

Last edited:
OP
hecantbreathe

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
Wiping Cache partition:
This will not erase any contacts or apps.
This should be done everytime a new rom is flashed.
If caught in a force close loop it is usually a good idea to go back and wipe cache again

In CWM
Select wipe cache partition
Select yes - wipe cache

Wiping Dalvik Cache:
This will not erase any contacts or apps.
Although not necessary to be done before every rom it is a good idea to wipe.
Dalvik cache can grow very large the more apps you had before flashing the new rom
the longer it will take to boot the new one as it will build upon the already large Dalvik cache.
So making it a habit to wipe dalvik cache can only help you .

In CWM
Select advanced
Select wipe Dalvik Cache
Select Yes - wipe dalvik cache

Flashing a zip file:
Zip files can be flashed for many different reasons such as applying roms, themes, kernels and applications.
Before flashing a zip file you must make sure that the file is for your particular device and will be compatible
with the current build you are on.
When flashing a zip wiping data or cache is usually not necessary, Unless you are flashing a Rom then wiping data or cache may be necessary

When flashing Voodoo you must enable lagfix before rebooting the system

In CWM
Select Install zip from sdcard
Select Choose zip from sdcard
Choose your zip file
Select it, it should install

Last edited:
OP
hecantbreathe

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
Nandroid Backup/Restore:
This is a backup that takes a snapshot of your operating system, your data and settings.
This is similar to a restore point on a desktop computer.
It is an excellent tool if you like to flash roms on your device and you run into trouble.
A nandroid restore will bring you back to the state your phone was in at the time you made the backup.
It is important to note that a Nandroid backup does not backup/restore your kernel or modem,
so its important to be aware that you may have to flash a compatible modem and kernel to restore full functionality to your device.
Backups can be renamed by either using a file manager on your phone or mounting your card to your computer.
sdcard>clockwork>backup> then rename the back up of your choice.

To create Nandroid backup
In CWM
Select backup and restore
Select backup

To restore Nandroid backup
In CWM
Select backup and restore
Select restore
Select which nandroid you want
Select yes restore

Wiping battery stats:
When flashing roms data is not always wiped. After numerous flashes it is possible for the battery % to be slightly off.
Best way of restting this is to shut your phone off and charge till it is fully charged. Then boot directly into clockwork recovery.
This isn't functioning currently

In CWM
Select Advanced
Select Wipe battery stats
Select yes - wipe battery stats

Last edited:
OP
hecantbreathe

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
Fix Permissions

Enable and Disable Voodoo Lagfix:
After flashing a voodoo kernel lagfix will usually intiate conversion itself but this is not always the case,
the best way to ensure conversion will initiate is to enable lagfix.
When flashing a nonvoodoo kernel after your phone has converted lagfix,
it is Highly recommended to disable lagfix first.

Enabling Voodoo lagfix:
In CWM
Select voodoo
Select Enable lagfix
Then Reboot

Disable lagfix
In CWM
Select Voodoo
Select disable lagfix
Reboot

Last edited:

Vyvid

Reaction score
You and tapout are like the DF fascinate heroes.

Don't know what I'm going to do when I go to a TB

Sent from a SuperClean Galaxy far, far away.

OP
hecantbreathe

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
Thanks...if I had more time I would have done this myself...so...thanks again sir

No problem, I'm off work for another 3 months due to surgery so I really don't have anything better to do most of the time.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Which version of CWM recovery should we be currently using on the fascinate? Red correct? Is cwm-recovery-ALL.zip an updated version of red recovery?

OP
hecantbreathe

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
Which version of CWM recovery should we be currently using on the fascinate? Red correct? Is cwm-recovery-ALL.zip an updated version of red recovery?

There is 2 different red cwm's that is out with the same version number v2.5.1.x

If anyone uses the ODIN way to root and put froyo on their phones, they will have "froyo cwm" update.zip

The one you should use its the cwm-all which is included here. Either flash it through cwm or you can ODIN it. If you have the update zip on your phone for previous cwm, delete it after you put cwm all on.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
So with new Red recovery it looks like it will boot straight into recovery after second samsung logo correct, so there is no need to flash update zip in stock blue recovery?

OP
hecantbreathe

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
So with new Red recovery it looks like it will boot straight into recovery after second samsung logo correct, so there is no need to flash update zip in stock blue recovery?

I'd flash it anyways, just to be sure.

I only had to apply the update zip the first time I booted into Froyo CWM. Which made me think I had the CWM All, but I didn't. So just flash it, it's not going to do anything wrong.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok one more question and then I am done will the questions lol. One should probably disable lagfix before flashing the new CWM recovery if on a voodoo kernel correct?