Clarification questions on rooting

pxtang

Reaction score
Hi,

My Incredible is coming this week, and I have a few questions I want to ask first for clarification since I'm having a hard time finding these answers.

First, is the current root a "full" root? I've read posts online that say that the current method of rooting for the Incredible doesn't enable as much as rooting does for other Android devices.

Second, is rapidly pushing the SD card in and out the easiest way to make rooting work? I've seen that suggestion a few times across several forums.] Also, what's the general success % for the current rooting method?

Third, will rooting my phone remove the data that was already on the phone, like how jailbreaking an iDevice clears the data on it? And will I need to re-root when a new OS update is available?

Thanks!

-Peter

rayporsche

Reaction score
Well it's probably like this;
First:either your phone is 'rooted' or is 'not rooted', I don't believe there is half-way process on that one.
Second: I don't really know about the pushing/pulling procedure, the others work very good if you are well informed and have the required software downloads.
Third: no, rooting will not remove your data and no you won't have to re-root when a new OS becomes available, meaning that if it is from the carrier OTA it will probably remove your current root but if it is one of the ones available within the community from private developers, no it shouldn't remove your root.
Once rooted there may be other considerations too, like renaming the OTA file within your phone to avoid future OTA downloads from the carrier and what not so you can keep your thing rooted, nandroid backup and other backups as well to be on the safe side. I am not the 'Doctor Guru Man' but I hope this info helps a little. Good Luck !

OP
pxtang

pxtang

Reaction score
Thanks!

On the OTA updates: How are they downloaded and installed? (manually or automatically by the phone)

droidjeg

Reaction score
you will get a notification on the phone to complete the dl and have to consent to it.

shortbus99

Reaction score
Plss don't use the SD card method, use revoked root & reflash its so easy there's really no reason to use any other method

OP
pxtang

pxtang

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies--I'm now rooted successfully.