n00b question about rooting

coskier

Reaction score
Picked up an Incredible yesterday to replace my dinosaur HTC Windows Mobile Touch Pro 2. Loving the phone so far, but want to root it to take advantage of free wireless tether for my iPad, etc. I have come across the unrevoked root method, and understand they should have an update today or tomorrow to go along with the recent OTA. Here's my n00b question - when I run this, will I need to reinstall the apps I am currently running?

Thanks for the feedback.

shmoo

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to no. You're going to root and then make a backup of your current setup. I would the go to the market and get Titanium Backup (free or donate). Back your apps up and then you will be good to go. Just in case something does happen I would jot a list of your apps down that way in case you do lose them you won't have to go off of memory

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
coskier

coskier

Reaction score
Thanks, I had planned on writing the list down. It's only one screen so far. Do I run the backup before or after the unrevoked process?

Also, how do I get rid of some of the stuff that was pre-installed, like CityID, Slacker, etc. It wouldn't let me remove them from Settings|Programs (uninstall was greyed out).

dbst

Reaction score
You will be able to backup after you root and you can also unistall any app with titanium backup

shmoo

Reaction score
^^^beat me to it!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And rooting on its own wont affect your apps. You have to worry about backing them up until you flash a rom and wipe data/cache

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
coskier

coskier

Reaction score
And rooting on its own wont affect your apps. You have to worry about backing them up until you flash a rom and wipe data/cache

I don't know that I would get to that point. Stock seems to be good for me, except for paying to wireless tether. Well, for now at least. ;)

shmoo

Reaction score
No problem! That's what we are here for

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I don't know that I would get to that point. Stock seems to be good for me, except for paying to wireless tether. Well, for now at least. ;)

Ya then the only thing you really have to bother with titanium backup is using it to freeze the bloatware. Just wait though, after being rooted for a few weeks you'll start getting the rom itch. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it ;)

OP
coskier

coskier

Reaction score
Ya then the only thing you really have to bother with titanium backup is using it to freeze the bloatware. Just wait though, after being rooted for a few weeks you'll start getting the rom itch. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it ;)

Indeed, that will be n00b thread #2.

Another quick question (or 2): should I do the S-OFF mod to keep the update notices from coming from future OTA's? Once I do root the phone, does it make sense to wait until the next OTA is rooted, then do the OTA followed by the root?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would def wait before accepting an ota until you know it can be rooted but I don't have much experience with s-off

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Conscious choice to accept the ota? It is for me but I wouldn't feel comfortable making any guarantees since we have different phones from different manufacturers.

OP
coskier

coskier

Reaction score
Yep, that's what I meant. This one prompted me twice before I accepted, so I am sure it must always be like that.