Rooting Questions.

Reaction score
Im thinking about rooting my incredible but am a little weiry of doing so. I have a few questions before i decide to root or not just to help w. The decision..

1.) Before i root. Do i have to save anything, store anything, or do anything in general? Or just go straight to rooting.

2.) Do i have to set up a recovery before flashing ROMs or is it already set up and saved?

3.) How easy is it to brick your DI?

Thanks for all the help!
Inc.Monsta

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can back up apps with astro as titanium won't work without root.

You can just go ahead and root but do a nandroid back up as soon as the rooting is finished. When the rooting tool is done you will be staring at the recovery screen anyways.

As for bricking it is pretty difficult to do. Just all depends on what your trying to do. Most average rooters won't get close to bricking it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Alright cool. Thinking i might give this a try after all..
This may be a stupid question but how will i know the rooting worked?
Thanks again.

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry didnt see u already answered the question i originally typed here...My bad! lol

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
After a successful root, you will have Clockwork as your recovery and a superuser app. Thats the easiest way.

The real way to know is that you would now have su installed in the /system/bin and busybox installed in the /system/xbin

OP
I
Reaction score
I see a lot of threads mentioning unrevoked..Is this the easiest way to root?

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes it is and the only way. Download tool. Install hboot drivers with directions included. Click on the .exe. Enjoy root moments later. :) Painless. Make sure though if you installed the HTC sync on your computer to uninstall it before hand.

Cammo

Reaction score
After a successful root, you will have Clockwork as your recovery and a superuser app. Thats the easiest way.

The real way to know is that you would now have su installed in the /system/bin and busybox installed in the /system/xbin

I ran Unrevoked and have everything but busybox. Is it a folder or file? Did something go wrong?

Superuser app just gives me a blank screen. Obviously showing my lack of knowledge here (but I'm reading everything I can find!), but what does each of these functions do (busybox, Superuser app, & su file...is su a file I'll use, or does it just get called by other functions)?

Last edited:

Danariel

Reaction score
I ran Unrevoked and have everything but busybox. Is it a folder or file? Did something go wrong?

I also ran UnrEVOked (and Forever), and don't have Busybox. I tried to install Titanium, it installs, but it fails when giving SU permissions.

When I go into Super Users, it shows Titanium with a green dot beside it. Since I'm not really interested in installing a ROM at this point (still waiting for the OTA) I'm thinking about going back to unrooted. I only rooted now to get Unrevoked Forever before the OTA.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Busybox is not an app. The easiest way to see it installed is get root explorer and head to /system/xbin. It will be in there. As for titanium when you open the app it should ask for permission. Choose always, and proceed. If it is not asking you, go into superuser and select titanium and select forget and go back into titanium.

Busybox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox

And SU is like Busybox is not like an app you'd find in your launcher. It can be found in /system/bin

If you ran the Unrevoked tool, trust me they are there.

Last edited:

Cammo

Reaction score
Thx Doug, busybox wiki very informative. I got Root Explorer but still don't "see" busybox. Are its functions used by other apps like Root Explorer? Can a command line be invoked to run the commands or are they just called by apps? I guess that would require a shell, more reading required...

Now I see what SuperUser Permissions App is too, kind of a "clearing house" for apps needing SU permission.

Last edited:

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
In root explorer scroll done until you see system. Select it and then scroll to xbin. Select that, after it will be alphabetical order. Scroll to where busybox would be. You'll see it.

Cammo

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, maybe I do have a problem There's only 2 files in /system/xbin...crasher and wireless_modem.