is it easier to brick incredible than moto droid1?

tktouch12

Reaction score
hi,
i'm thinking about getting an htc incredible. anyway, i was wondering how the rooting/flashing/unbricking/etc. experience on the incredible is compared to the droid.

on the droid easy root will root it for you, rom manager will flash roms for you and do other stuff, and rsdlite will fix your phone no matter how badly you mess it up (that is an important part!) i love knowing i cant really do anything that rsdlite cant fix.

but is it easier to mess up an incredible? and is there an rsdlite equivalent to save me if i mess something up? and are there apps to make the unrooting process easy and safe?

please just give thoughts on hacking the incredible in general

thanks

WhosToBlame

Reaction score
No RSD lite to fix your phone. It is, from my understanding, easier to brick the HTC Incredible than the Moto Droid (seems unbrickable). ROM Manager will flash Recovery and ROM's once you are rooted.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No RSD lite to fix your phone. It is, from my understanding, easier to brick the HTC Incredible than the Moto Droid (seems unbrickable). ROM Manager will flash Recovery and ROM's once you are rooted.

Kinda right here. Yes it could be easier to brick. The droid you couldn't overwrite the bootloader, with the unlocked bootloader we have now, we change that as we please. Mixing and matching Kernels, bootloaders and radios can be risky. But overall the incredible is pretty unbrickable. If your asking this question I doubt anything you will try will lead to a brick.(No offense meant)

Rom manager will not write recovery with root alone. Unless you have s-off the only way to flash a new recovery is with unrevoked tool.

djkms

Reaction score
I agree with what Doug said. To add a bit more:

be conscious with flashing your radio (dont flash the same radio version on top of each other)

be cautious updating your recovery. I am still using Clockworkmod 2.5.0.1 with no issues

These are the only 2 potential areas that I am aware of that can truly brick your phone

Be patient!!! Some updates can take some time to install. Dont go pulling your battery during a update and you should be fine.

If anything else gets screwed up, no matter how bad, there's a 99% chance a nandroid backup will save you

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
If your asking this question I doubt anything you will try will lead to a brick.(No offense meant)
I'm not a newbish idiot, fyi. i've done quite a lot to my droid and i know what i'm doing when it comes to this stuff. (but i'm not offended)

I agree with what Doug said. To add a bit more:

be conscious with flashing your radio (dont flash the same radio version on top of each other)

be cautious updating your recovery. I am still using Clockworkmod 2.5.0.1 with no issues

These are the only 2 potential areas that I am aware of that can truly brick your phone

Be patient!!! Some updates can take some time to install. Dont go pulling your battery during a update and you should be fine.

If anything else gets screwed up, no matter how bad, there's a 99% chance a nandroid backup will save you

what would those 2 areas be?

also, if something does go wrong, is the only way to fix it a nandroid backup?

and, is there an easy way to unroot and return to stock?

thanks

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
also, can we use rom manager to unroot the phone? is there a clean 2.1 update.zip that will give us stock with the stock recovery?

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
also, can we use rom manager to unroot the phone? is there a clean 2.1 update.zip that will give us stock with the stock recovery?
Without s-off the only way to rewrite the recovery is with the unrevoked tool. The best way to get back to stock rom and recovery is the RUU. Its kinda like HTC's version of rsdlite.

So no Rom manager can't get you to completely back to stock

Last edited:
OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Can the RUU help if you mess up your phone like rsdlite can fix the droid?

Or what are the conditions to use RUU? (like your phone has to boot perfectly, or get to recovery, or get to bootloader, etc...)

Last edited:

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its like rsdlite in the fact it flashes the phone, but only back to stock. You can't ruu to a rooted rom. Also instead RUUing you can find the stock PB31IMG.zip, put it on the SD card boot into the bootloader and the phone will flash itself back to a stock version. It down grades roms, the hboot and the recovery.img.

Downfall with the PB31IMG.zip is there are a mess of them floating around to flash different things so be careful on which one you chose.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
ok thanks. sorry, i'm just trying to figure out how this all works on the incredible (i'm pretty knowledgeable on the droid)

1) so the hboot is the bootloader? we dont really ever change that do we?
2) and the s-off concerns the BOOTLOADER and if it can flash anything or just approved stuff?
3)and the recovery is the same as on the droid?- we use it to flash roms?
4) and the PB31IMG.zip is like an update.zip on the droid (but you do it from the bootloader)?- it will flash everything. but there are stock ones of this file and there are rooted one that contain roms?
5) and can this PB31IMG.zip help if our incredible is not working (close to bricking)?
6) and the main ways to brick an incredible are flashing a radio on top of the same one, or problems with flashing a radio? -- but we dont flash radios very often? and the PB31IMG.zip does touch the radio?

i know this is a lot of questions, but i would appreciate help, and i'll understand it soon. then i'll be able to turn around and help other newbs once i get an understanding of this :) things are just a little different than the moto droid.

Last edited:

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
K here we go... HTC is a lil different then the droid but close to the same. You got almost all of it right. I'll break it down as you did.

1. Hboot is the bootloader and it is changeable but not a necessary change.

2. S-off means full nand unlocked. Its a unlocked bootloader. This is means you can write to the /system with the phone booted. Without s-off you can only write to the /system while in recovery.With s-off metamorh, ninjamorph and root explorer will work.

3. Recovery is the same as the droid but without s-off the only way to upgrade the recovery img is with the unrevoked tool. IE clicking flash recovery in rom manager does not work. It'll say it has the new recovery boot it won't stick upon reboot. Also there is no sprecovery so if not already get comfortable with CW. (Most everyone knows how to use it as I am sure you do.)

4. The PB31IMG is like an update zip but there aren't any root versions out there. And yes if you totally effed the phone it might bring it back. PB31IMG can also only flash certain items, such as there PB31IMGs that flash a splashscreen, there are ones that just do radios, and ones that will upgrade the hboot. So like I said be careful on what you choose as they are all named PB31IMG.zip

5. Answered above.

6. As long as it is a full radio img you can flash as you please. Its the patcher that came out called "dinc_ota" that you should not reflash. I repeat only full radio imgs are safe as they complete rewrite over it and not patch it.

I hope this helps. If you have more ?'s please feel free to ask and i will answer the best I can.

Last edited:
OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
O my goodness. Thank you so much. That cleared up a lon for me. I'm sure ill learn a lot just messing with it, but thank you very much. I'm sure other things will come up, and if they do ill ask