Checked Out the Maxx Today vs My Nexus - Forgot to Look at Auto-Rotate - How is it?

daudi81

Reaction score
I have to say, I thought the Maxx had a much snappier and smoother OS and smoother overall experience. Not really sure why everyone thinks ICS is the bees knees, when side-by-side multitasking on both phones - the Maxx was obviously faster and smoother than the Nexus (maybe I have a bad Nexus though, so I don't know if this is normal).

Maxx definitely felt more solid as well, Nexus has cheaper materials and it shows. The screen on the Nexus is obviously higher resolution, but I didn't think it was that much better, if at all. For these reasons, I thought about exchanging it right then and there, but they were out of stock, so I have to wait anyway.

(surprisingly, the only thing the Nexus had on the Maxx at that store was the 4G signal speed. I would consistently get 12-16mbit on my Nexus, vs 5-10mbit on the Razr. I was quite surprised as these forums paint a completely different picture on signal strength)

One thing I forgot to check was the autorotate - which I hate on my Nexus. It's slow to respond, sometimes REALLY slow to where I just get fed up with waiting and go back to the mode I was in originally. People say this will get fixed in future updates, but who really knows for sure?

So I guess my main questions is - How is the autorotate on the Maxx? My gut says it's faster since the OS is so much smoother on the Maxx, but I totally forgot to check that feature at the store and that was a main reason I went in to look. I won't be able to go back to the store until Monday, so that's why I'm asking.

I've got a couple weeks left to decide which phone I want to settle on, and this phone will ultimately end up as my wife's as well, as I get to use her upgrade in the next few months.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
(surprisingly, the only thing the Nexus had on the Maxx at that store was the 4G signal speed. I would consistently get 12-16mbit on my Nexus, vs 5-10mbit on the Razr. I was quite surprised as these forums paint a completely different picture on signal strength)

Just a comment, the newest update fixed 4G connectivity, so that may no longer be an issue for you. I'll let others comment on the rest for now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
D

daudi81

Reaction score
Just a comment, the newest update fixed 4G connectivity, so that may no longer be an issue for you. I'll let others comment on the rest for now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question - but when was that released? If OTA wouldn't it have been on the display model at the store? (serious question, I really don't know the answer).

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I had the g nex, my razr auto rotate was faster, better on my razr. Heard it was fixed on an update or by using roms.

Sometimes it would get stuck on my g nex. Slow auto rotate is a common bug on ics. I really think the folks that praise it so much just look past the issues ics has right now. I really like ics overall, but it isn't perfect or the best experience.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Reaction score
I always liked how fast apple iphones were with the rotating. almost instant. i had the D1 and there was def lag there. with the razr, its just as fast as an iphone/itouch. sometimes to quick to respond im like woooo.

you will really like the auto rotate. I got my razr right here. i went to droidforums.net while it was loading and did rotate, quick and no lag. thats while it was loading and you know u got all the pics and videos loading too. no force close on browser.
With ICS i bet it will be even faster cause ICS is more tuned for dual core i read. my Xoom switches faster with ICS. get the MAXX. bigger battery. mad they came out with that shortly after razr and i couldnt return razr w/o paying to get maxx.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I have to say, I thought the Maxx had a much snappier and smoother OS and smoother overall experience. Not really sure why everyone thinks ICS is the bees knees, when side-by-side multitasking on both phones - the Maxx was obviously faster and smoother than the Nexus (maybe I have a bad Nexus though, so I don't know if this is normal).
That was not my experience using it.

One thing I noticed in the store though is that they usually use live wallpapers on the Nexus Demos and static wallpapers on the Rezound and Razr. No phone will be as smooth with live wallpapers as with static. I did not find the Nexus to be jerky or the razr to be perfectly smooth. They seemed approximately the same to me.

And ICS is no different than Froyo or GB...Google has demonstrated that they really like having the crappiest launcher possible on their OS. Maybe they are doing this deliberately to create a market for launchers, heh heh. Install a custom launcher and I will bet that the Nexus will suddenly be smooth as butter.

Maxx definitely felt more solid as well, Nexus has cheaper materials and it shows.
Yeah, I agree here. That is one thing I am envious of on the Razr. It is the best built of the current tier 1 phones.

The screen on the Nexus is obviously higher resolution, but I didn't think it was that much better, if at all.
IMO, the difference is very noticeable. Not that the Razr screen sucks, but the nexus screen is just THAT good.

Last edited:

AZClimber

Reaction score
Brought my GNex back last week and traded it in for the Maxx.

Razr Maxx's build quality, stainless steel core, gorilla glass, kevlar back, better phone reception (yes the most important feature of a phone IMO), I can read the screen outside, splash proof, killer battery life, more reliable…it is just much more of a premium phone than the Galaxy Nexus, which feels cheap, very poor reception, very high return rate but excellent screen (if you're inside) and ICS. Having the better battery life and having to wait for a month or two for ICS is a no brainer, then you'd have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
I stopped reading at "the screen wasn't much better...if at all"

The nexus screen dominates every other screen on the market as of February 10th, 2012. In every way possible.

The razr screen is decent at most.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

The nexus screen dominates every other screen on the market as of February 10th, 2012. In every way possible.

As you can see, I'm typing this from a rezound. I can promise you from as an unbiased point of view as possible, the g nex screen does not dominate every other screen on the market. You may prefer it over others, but its just that...preference. I would choose the g nex screen just for the colors, but the rezound does have a very nice screen.

You say the g nex screen is better in every way possible..and yet I could see pentile on the g nex. Pentile isn't even used on the rezound....

And depending on YOUR viewing distance, eyesight, certain instances....they all will look so similar its almost a wash as far as sharpness, clarity.

How about my razr had less of a blue tint and was whiter than my g nex? Maybe I had a bad g nex...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
D

daudi81

Reaction score

Meh, not really. I'll give it that it has higher resolution - but on a 4-5 inch screen - do you really need high resolution? Just one more step I have to take to zoom in and read the ittybitty letters on websites. For an every-day phone user, a quick glance at each phone on the same website/page, the user isn't going to be able to tell if one phone "dominates" the other.

I guess I'm not really a power user for phones. I use a web browser only for a quick look up if I'm not by my laptop or pc, check gmail, or to talk on the phone (obviously) - and that's pretty much it. They are great if you're not near a computer, but that is rare for me.

taylor9t

Reaction score
Razr auto rotate

My Razr auto rotates fast. I saw a showdown between the two and they said GNex developers wanted to create a lag on GNex in case you accidentally hanged orientations. Nice save, but I didn't buy it. My Razr Maxx auto rotates quickly and smoothly. When I accidentally change orientation it snaps quickly back. I say go for it, it is a great phone!

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Would agree with the screen assessment however my Razr Maxx's screen works for me since I never have to change out a battery through out the day of heavy activity. I also like the fact that I have an actual micro SD card in an external slot that can be removed at will and with a maximum of 32gb of space. Add ICS and IMHO it will be even better. For me it's all about battery length during the day since I am not near any form of chargers be that wall or auto but that's just me.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I would say almost too fast! The cool thing is if you accidentally rotate the screen tilt back and snap it's back where you want it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
In regards to screen rotation on nexus, the recent 4.0.4 patch fixed the rotation speed. Before you had to wait 3-4 seconds for screen to rotate after patch its 1 second.

I love both phones, I have nexus for its versatility and my wife has maxx for its battery life and durability.